DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Drive ttrain howling

956 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  mairsag 
#1 ·
First time poster. I have a howling noise underneath my pickup that I can not locate in my 1996 2500 diesel longbox 4X4 with 340K miles. Hard to identify where its coming from when underneath the PU and rearend up but maybe seems more from transfer case. Checked all u joints and hanger bearing and no play. Also no play found in pinion but slight play in back of transfer case but doesn't seem excessive. Had rearend cover off and no excess wear and no play found. No play in rear wheels and have checked rear wheel bearings. Howling is from 25 mph on and tone changes with more speed but not as tranny shifts. Rebuilt transmission 40k ago (first and only major repair -so far). Maybe a little less noise when in 4HI. Same noise accelerating or decelerating but goes away 100% if I shift into neutral (going 50mph). Done a lot of reading here but can't seem to locate where I think the noise is coming from. Any other suggestion would be appreciated...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.