DODGE RAM FORUM banner

My DYI CAI just installed

12K views 70 replies 30 participants last post by  GPSHSLAX 
#1 ·
Last week I made a PVC CAI and got it installed. Over the weekend came paint, and now pictures. I installed an elbow with a cleanout and put a compression fitting on it for the breather hose. The IAT is installed in a rubber grommet meant for a dipstick on a GM. I also installed a piece of pipe insulation to prevent some rubbing. I've attached all pertinent pics. What do you all think.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. I just moved it. I was having issues with length on my signature.

Congrats on the new mod! I guess you can take that off the "Future Mods" list ;)

So what's next?

#4 ·
Good job. So what's next, dual exhaust so that new air coming in can get out?

#5 ·
Something like that. I can't afford the full exhaust overhaul but I'm thinking aeroturbine 3030 and resonator delete down the road here. I think that's probably my best bet to free up the exhaust a bit onthe cheap. Any input? I've heard bad things about drone with the 3030 and no resonator but only on the Hemi when the MDS is running. I'm also not sure about the design of the 3030XL with resonator (is it still more or less straight through or is it more restrictive?) or if it's worth replacing the muffler and not removing the stock resonator.

Good job. So what's next, dual exhaust so that new air coming in can get out?

#7 ·
Looks good, great job on that, very clean install! :smileup:

- Cajun

#8 ·
Looks good, great job on that, very clean install! :smileup:

- Cajun

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with the result. I feel like for a PVC contraption it looks pretty good.

#9 ·
It does and the paint really helps do it some justice!

- Cajun

#12 ·
:smileup:I think it looks great.................:smileup:

#13 ·
Nice work man! That looks really good! Congrats on the great work!

#14 ·
Thanks all, I'm appreciating the comments. Also I forgot in the original message to give a big shout out to Randy and leadfootluke (as well as others) for advice and pictures that helped me feel confident enough to give this a whirl.

#17 · (Edited)
You know ... I think I do, but it may also be a placebo effect, or the fact that boy is it louder at WOT and that makes me feel like it's more responsive. I've also notied that I can hear more of what the engine is going that I could before. For example I can hear the difference in load on the engine when running uphill with the cruise on whereas before I couldn't.

I used 3" pipe all the way through, easiest fit from the TB down to the filter and the filter has a 3.5" opening which fit the PVC external diameter exactly. I figure onless you could get a smooth reduction (such as the BFI) the decrease in size from a larger pipe only introduces turbulence at the bottleneck. I'd love to have the BFI but this setup only cost about $80 so I can save money for exhaust now instead.

#19 ·
I don't know where you can get pipe mandrel bent, but if not realize your 4" pipe could pinch down easily to the same diameter as 3" when you bend it 90 degrees. The 3" pipe could pinch down even more obviously. Also depending onthe conductive properties of the material used the engine heat will warm the pipe and soak some of the heat into air passing through it. Plastic has less of a tendency to do that. The PVC I used was a thick walled cellular foam core tube. It has good insulative qualities. I don't know what it is used for in real life, but it was perfect for my application.

#29 ·
This concept had actually occured to me as well. I was thinking of removing the drop in and routing the tube into the empty airbox where I would still connect a K&N cone filter. The draw of this idea being the ability to take advantage of the stock ability to draw cool air from the fender. Instead I just located the filter down and forward to get cooler air. It would be interesting to use a temp probe to see what kind of difference you get in temp at various locations.

#38 ·
if you have a muffler shop anywhere close they usually carry them all day. i stopped by my local monro (who by the way are idiots and quoted me $92 when i asked about a y-pipe, which they quoted me on a full exhaust) but i went thirty feet down the road stopped at Cole Muffler/Mavis Tire and in 2 minutes he got me a y-pipe told me they could form it to fit my duals diameter and length all for $44. guess who's getting my business

#39 ·
I don't know ago HP gains ... but I just got back from a trip up north and averaged 2mpg higher on the freeway than I had been driving the same freeway back and forth to work. I was carrying more weight and had my rack up with a luggage carrier on it (more wind resistance). If that 2mpg is from the CAI then it paid itself off on the trip.

#40 ·
Very interesting build. How do the couplers work as far as airflow restriction? I am sure it is "way" better than stock, but just curious. I would think that a smooth solid pipe would flow better.

Either way, great idea. I just wish that more companies would start to recognize the 4.7L owners and produce more.

#41 ·
Very interesting build. How do the couplers work as far as airflow restriction? I am sure it is "way" better than stock, but just curious. I would think that a smooth solid pipe would flow better.

Either way, great idea. I just wish that more companies would start to recognize the 4.7L owners and produce more.
The joints all fit on the outside of the pipe so they don't represent a restriction at all. Of course what I'm sure you're getting at is that each introduces turbulence to the system and potentially slows air flow. I don't really know how much impedance each one produces but like you said, I'm sure it's better than stock.

#43 ·
sorry gpshslax didnt mean any diss

and yes your motor is a real motor. i just can stand men that rant like a woman! simple as that.

#44 ·
and yes your motor is a real motor. i just can stand men that rant like a woman! simple as that.
It's ok. I tend to be a little bit sarcastic. No harm to foul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.