DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Key Fob question

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  ramit355 
#1 ·
I was curious, I cant see any screws on the housing so I guess the internal battery of these key fobs arent easy to reach. Are these batteries changeable? I was talking to an F150 owner he stated that the dodge keys are dumb because once the battery is dead, the whole key has to be replaced. I don't know if this is factual or just a jab at dodge's in particular (he close minded on anything not Ford or Toyota).

An interesting thought would be that the battery is automatically getting recharged when placed in the ignition but I dunno if thats possible.

Note that I am not having issues with the fob, but wondering later down the road.

#2 ·
I dropped mine the other day and it popped open- battery exposed just like you'd expect. I snapped it back together with one click. I think when the time comes I'll just use one of those plastic trim removal tools to pry it open again.
On a related note.. I have a 96 RAM with a keyless entry and I have never replaced the batteries on that fob even once.

#4 ·
Just an FYI, To open the FOB, pull the key out and stick the key in the end of the FOB that is now exposed and twist and gently pry the FOB open. Will open length wise.
Pull the 2 halves apart. To close, squeeze the end you put into the ignition first then squeeze it tight, should all snap together. The battery is easily assessable. double check that you don't put the new battery in backwards, easy to do. Good Luck.
PS, just had one off my POD replaced under warranty today.. It had been intermittent and they said it was ok, so I made sure it was not intermittent anymore. Nothing a 9v battery can't fix.

#10 ·
#12 ·
I'm all but certain the memory in the keyfob is stored on the circuit board of the keyfob.

I think you'll be good.

#14 ·
Just to add....

I had GM truck many years ago. One of the remote's battery was getting really low. I pulled out the remote battery in the hope of getting a replacement soon. I ended up missplacing it. I found it almost two years later. Installed the new battery and everything worked fine.

Like I said, you'll be good to go.

Good luck.

#15 ·
..... and Rep Points to you.

You've been a member way too long to be [still] sitting at 10

:smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.