DODGE RAM FORUM banner

14.50 wide tire on 9 inch wheel

11K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  OldMoparMan63 
#1 ·
I got a 2007 SLT quad 4x4 with 20x9 wheels saw some pitbull growlers 35x14.50s wondering what it would take to fit these. I have read here and there that a leveling kit would fit 35's but not sure about the width of these tires. I have seen in other forums during google searches with people that have 17x9 with these wide tires so it appears it can be done with 9 inch rims. I emailed a dealer of these tires that specialize in the modifications of rides this same questions earlier today but i was wanting some unbiased opionions or facts from people that dont stand to profit. My truck is stock thanks in advance if i get a response i will let you know what they said about putting these tires on.

#5 ·

I just go a email from customer service at pitbull and and they said they make a 35x12.50r20 in the Rocker tire. We just got back from lunch and i went to a truck performance shop and the guy i talked to said he had the same truck as mine but with 17 inch wheels and he had gotten 35x13.5 tires and he said with a leveling kit he had to do some cutting to get them not to rub. he said 33x12.5 would probably be the way to go without rubbing. Now i am curious if i can do the 35x12.50. I dont mind minor cutting but i would perfer not having to cut.

#7 ·
Yea you wont be able to get a 9" wide rim in a 14.5" tire. You would need at least 12" wide. Really going 2-3" over the width you will be fine. Like Cdnoil said if you get a set of beadlocks you can do it.

If you want to put 35s with a leveling kit be prepared to do some cutting. I had a 2" lift (front and rear) and I had 35x13.5 tires and I had to do some good cutting. If you want just a level you will have to cut more then I did. Also with stock rims your not looking at small amounts. If you get yourself some rims with a negative offset it will help you out. Since you are stock rim the tires will sit very close to the knuckle and will probably rub. If you want to put the 35s under I think getting a rim with negative offset (-12 to -18mm) would be the smart thing to do.

#8 ·
As stated: A 14.5" wide tire on a 9" rim is gonna cause too much sidewall bulge, which in turn, will likely result in tremendous sidewall flex, and curvature of the tread, causing premature center wear.

Not to mention, on the 2007 with the coilover suspension, the wide tire on the stock rim may interfere with the suspension, because of it's width and not enough offset, (too much back spacing) on the rim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.