DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Paint & Interior warranty????

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cktad 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all, picking up my black 1500 Sport CC tomorrow.

Got some interesting emails from the dealer. Curious re: your thoughts (because I AM concerned with keeping the black looking nice). Thanks!

When you have time , please watch this 4 minute video (make sure tom let it load fully). Starting a few years ago, auto manufacturers worldwide were required to start using water based paints/clear coats and not lead based making the paint much softer and susceptible to environmental damage.
I am sure you are familiar with Modern Marvels on History Channel.

The video states that the warranty on Simonize Glasscoat is 7 years, since the video was made,they now guarantee their produce for life !!
Your new truck will be guaranteed to stay looking the exact way it did the day you pick it up forever.

http://www.simonizprofessional.com/business/GlasscoatVideoLibrary/Video.asp?VideoID=9&CategoryID=2

2. The second part to this equation is that we have combined Dupont Teflon Protection,which is also guarantted for life with Glasscoat.Your vehicle interior will not stain. With the exception pretty much of paint you will be good to go. If you have any issues with stains and we cannot even get it out, the fabric will be replaced under warranty. Please read the attachment in this as well as the third email.
I generally don't endorse aftermarket products, but when I saw the Modern Marvels video , now I can.
I will be sending one more email with further information.

Most Mercedes dealers charge over $1500 . I can have this done before you arrive.
One of the reasons Glasscoat was created is because folks want a warranty on their paint. Manufacturers no longer warranty their paint, that is why you see auto transport tractor trailers carrying cars covered in white plastic. The paint is warranteed to the dealer only. Let me know.

$597 for both.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would (and recently did) pass on both. Extended warranties, paint protection, fabric protection, etc. are grossly overpriced from the dealer. This is where they have their huge profit margins. You can purchase a synthetic wax that will be the same thing as what they're trying to sell you for under $20. Same goes for scotchguard. Do a little reading on autogeekonline.net, you'll see why the services offered by the dealer are rip offs. I like his Mercedes comment, making it seem like you're getting a smokin' deal....his smokin' deal is around $560 worth of profit in the dealers pocket.

#3 ·
Yeah, I agree that the product claims themselves are bull, BUT what caught my eye is the lifetime warranty that comes with the product.

I've got 3 kids, & I think I'll be a little more relaxed knowing I'm covered if those little nasties smuggle something into the truck :)

Plus, even before I knew about this, I saw someone's post about how bird crap ruined his paint...so there's that too.

My gut reaction was "anything the dealer offers you is a ripoff," so we'll see!
I spoke to a Simoniz rep...the only ay the warranty applies is if a dealer does it at the time of purchase. Shame.

#4 ·
If you do decide to get it, make sure you dissect the fine print on the warranties, and then decide if they're worth it. I was foolish and made the mistake in my younger years of buying a rust warranty on a Mazda 3. I didn't read the fine print until a while after I bought it. Like you, I was told, it covers everything, if it rusts through, we'll fix it. When I read the fine print, yes, they will fix it, but the repair doesn't include paint! I'll be putting it to the test as the hood on the Mazda 3 has perforated and I'll be taking it in soon to be repaired.
I don't think the materials used on seats today are as prone to stains as materials from the past, and just remember, the Simonize product they are going to apply is just a synthetic wax, that will last longer (if applied properly) than a traditional carnauba product. It won't make the paint harder or more resistant to chips. Good luck with the decision. If you do go with it, negotiate the price, there's lots of room for him to move!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.