DODGE RAM FORUM banner

DeeZee EZ Down Tailgate Assist

22K views 51 replies 38 participants last post by  nikeman 
#1 ·
Received my DeeZee EZ Down Tailgate Assist today and just finished installing it on my truck. Here's the install process and some things to watch for. Lots-O-Pictures!

Purchased on sale with a $31 dollar discount. This is what comes in the package.

First I removed the safety cable from the pin.

Then removed the pin from the truck. I had to use some pliers as a lever because it was tightened real well.

Replaced the original, with this one:

Slid on this shrink tubing, more later.

Clipped back the safety cable:

Inserted and tightened this fastener into an existing hole in the tailgate.

Removed the fastener on the tailgate that hold the safety cable. This also was tough to remove at first.

Then, instructions say to remove the washer and travel stop. This left me wondering why as they don't really give a reason to remove it. The washer was imposible to remove with tools.

Then reinstall back on the tailgate.

Attach the EZ Down to the fastener and use the E-Clip to secure in place. In the install video, they use a nut, so this is one difference I noticed.

Attached the other end of the shock to the truck.

Heated the heat shrink tubing with a lighter and trimmed excess.

The bumper is used to prevent the cable from getting pinched when closing the tailgate.

Once alligned a zip tie holds it in place.

I noticed that there are some parts that rub slightly. I am going to buy some heat shrink tubing and cover the parts that rub but for now I just wrapped it with some clear packing tape.

Here's a video of the final results. It does exactly what they say it does. Easy to install and took me about 45 minutes to finish. The instructions were pretty good, clear, and had some pictures to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2jFwjIogKE

Thanks for reading and sorry if it's too long! Hope this helps someone.

See less See more
#8 ·
It's oxidization of the rubber. Don't worry about it, it happens and doesn't degrade the rubber. There's no getting around it unless you want to coat with with a petroleum jelly.

what was the cost of the kit? What years is it listed for? I have an 08.. don't like all the rubbing.. would need to take care of that during instillation..salt would kick my truks butt.. BTW got to rep you to bro one of the best posts I've seen
Kits are universal and I removed the limiting strap on the installed side to stop the rubbing issues.

#9 ·
Thanks to everyone for the kind words :smileup:

It will fit your truck, they say 2002 - 2010. I bought it from stylin trucks http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?partfamilyid=2018 because autoanything had it listed as not shipping until February. I got in sale for $39.99 plus shipping.

It's oxidization of the rubber. Don't worry about it, it happens and doesn't degrade the rubber. There's no getting around it unless you want to coat with with a petroleum jelly.
Thanks! I'll clean it up and put some armorall or something to clean it up. Don't like to see that white stuff on there.

#7 ·
Godd job buddy, great writeup. I think that will go onto my mod list as well

#11 ·
Awesome post , great pics about install. I put Hoppy Easy Lift kit on mine was about $30. I like it beacause it works down and up . My 9yr old son can close it now without any problems, now it closes so easy I got tell him to be sure not pinch fingers on tarp rail . Myers speed shops had mine saved on shipping .

#32 · (Edited)
The new rams do not have the easy lift kit,,,they have a torsion bar now. It is the same heavy tailgate but the torsion bar helps a lot. I added the Deezee easy lift and it is even better now,,,,a lot better. I too omitted the reinstall of the factory cable on the piston side,,,but I put it in the truck with the allen wrench,,just in case I might need it,,,it is very easy and quick to put back on.:smileup:

#16 ·
very cool im gonna do this to my truck :rep:

#18 ·
I just installed the tailgate lift DeeZee 43300 on my 2010 1500 TRX4 and it went pretty well, however I must note:

I was completely unable to get the small nut inside of the hole on the tailgate itself with the bolt screwed into the nut. I had to pull the nut off completely and then stupid me, I dropped the nut inside the tailgate. A skinny telescoping magnet on a stick helped me retrieve the nut AND here is where I have a tip:

I was able to use the skinny telescoping magnet (like the super cheapy ones you could find at a place like Harbor Freight) to get the nut in place and hold it there while I threaded the bolt into the nut with the nut in the correct position.

Also, I highly recommend buying some 35mm wide heat shrink so you can wrap the heads of the safety cable in heatshrink tubing. I'm trying some liquid electric tape on there, but I don't think it will hold up as well as the heatshrink tubing would. I found the heatshrink tubing at my favorite auction side for $6 shipped for a decent amount of tubing... they didn't carry that size at any of the stores I've visited recently. (1.25" or 35mm. 30mm is a hair too small I think.)

I really like the ez down lift... next I'll probably be buying one of those hitch mounted steps.

#19 ·
I just installed the tailgate lift DeeZee 43300 on my 2010 1500 TRX4 and it went pretty well, however I must note:

I was completely unable to get the small nut inside of the hole on the tailgate itself with the bolt screwed into the nut. I had to pull the nut off completely and then stupid me, I dropped the nut inside the tailgate. A skinny telescoping magnet on a stick helped me retrieve the nut AND here is where I have a tip:

I was able to use the skinny telescoping magnet (like the super cheapy ones you could find at a place like Harbor Freight) to get the nut in place and hold it there while I threaded the bolt into the nut with the nut in the correct position.
I have the EXACT same problem.. I have not conquered mine yet.. haven't felt like losing round 2 yet.:LOL:

#20 ·
Thanks for the write up.As I was reading and looking at the pictures I was thinking "man I hope there is a video because I've never seen one of these babys in action" then I scrolled down a little more and BAM a video. Thanks man haha

#22 ·
I have one be sure not to overtighten the bolt on the tailgate. I thought that allen key was too flimsy not tight enough, so I used a good on like I did to take of those torx screws, used a torx bit on an impact gun comes right out. Oh ya it only took a few drops and the screw on the bottom broke, they sent me a whole new kit. It's been on a year now.

#26 ·
I hate that my first post is negative, well sort of. I just installed mine (from Stylintrucks) and the quality is not the same as what you see online, as the tailgate does not 'float' down. I called Dee Zee and asked and the customer service lady said that the company that supplies the 'shock' changed the quality and they are aware of it, just not sure what to do. My only option is to return it if I'm not happy. Told her I'm keeping it as although it's not as good as I expected, it's not bad either. Just an FYI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.