DODGE RAM FORUM banner

wheel question

4K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  brandonjansen 
#1 ·
ok this may sound like a dumb question but i've never had aftermarket wheels before. I just got a 6" lift on my 04 dodge ram 1500. Found a set of used mickey thompson's for cheap. 35x12.5x20. found a set of wheels that i want but 2 options. High offset or Low offset.
not sure what this is. I would love for a quick rundown and recommendation

#2 ·
If you go with a 20x10 with a -24mm offset, you're tire will stick out of the fender 3 inches or so. If you go with a 20x9 with a -12mm offset then they will stick out about 2 inches or so from your fender. Alot of members run a -12mm offset on this forum because some like to run fender flares. If you go with 20x10 and a -24mm offset your tire will still stick out past your flares. I personally went with a 18x9 and a 0 offset so my tires will stick out about an inch or so which is the look i like. Just comes down with what you like. I believe the more positive the offset the less your tire will stick out. I could be wrong? If so someone will comment about it to correct me. Hope some of this helps. :smileup:

#3 ·
Pretty much what RyanB said. You will need at least a 0 offset to clear the tires though (assuming the clearances are similar to the 4th gens).

What are the full specs of the wheels you're looking at? Width and offset specifically. Then I can give you a better answer....

#6 ·
the page im on is discountwheelwarehouse.com im looking at getting the xd rockstars. not saying width or anything else. just that theyre 20" xd rockstars lol. i believe those are all x10 right? and it just has options for high offset or low offset. doesnt give an actual number

#9 ·
he has a good point ^^^^^

a wider wheel can bulge the sidewalk some more but u can only stretch the actual tread so much. no doubt a wider wheel will affect the width some, but maybe not as much as you think

#8 ·
I believe that wheel comes 20x10 with a -24mm offset. Also in 20x8.5 but i'm not sure if you can fit a 12.50" wide tire on that rim.

#12 ·
learn from the best ^^^^

#15 ·
^^^ exactly right

So why is everyone saying that a 10" wheel with 4.5" bs will stick out an inch farther than a 9" wheel with 4.5" bs. If 4.5" of bs is 4.5" bs across the board and a radial c.s. doesnt change, where does the extra inch come in...

Mind officially blown :wow:

#17 ·
here we go again. Hahahaha

but ya whoever was asking, take it from the guys above. they know their stuff, esp candy.

#18 · (Edited)
For every .5" change in wheel width, the tire width will increase or decrease about .2"

If you had 9" wheel with 4.5" bs and a 10" wheel with 4.5" bs and just mounted the wheels with no tires, the 10" wheel will stick out 1" more. But once you add tires, the tires on the 10" wheel will only stick out about .2" more bc it will stretch the overall width out about .5" (quarter inch on both sides)

Also for people that are always so confused on backspacing lol here you go

#19 · (Edited)
If that's true then why do you need .5" or 13mm of offset to get the same backspacing. If it sticks out an inch farther, then the offset would remain the same to obtain the same backspacing right?

Matter of fact look at your chart you just posted. If you go from 9 to a 10 you need 13mm of offset to get the same bs. Going from a 9" to 10" can ONLY stick out 13mm/.5" farther, not an inch. Unless you know sorciery or magic there Jake...

Also the sidewal doesn't stretch. The inner most part of the sidewall, sure. But the actual width of the sidewall or c.s. never changes...specially going from 9 to a 10. Now to a 14" on a 12.50 it would if it would hold lol.

#20 · (Edited)
candy08 If that's true then why do you need .5" or 13mm of offset to get the same backspacing. If it sticks out an inch farther, then the offset would remain the same to obtain the same backspacing right?
Haha what?!? confused on this

Matter of fact look at your chart you just posted. If you go from 9 to a 10 you need 13mm of offset to get the same bs. Going from a 9" to 10" can ONLY stick out 13mm/.5" farther, not an inch. Unless you know sorciery or magic there Jake...
Backspacing is distance from inner lip to the mounting face of the wheel..if you mount 2 wheels with the same backspacing but one is 1" wider it will stick out 1 more inch (with no tires mounted) Like 4.5" from inner lip to mounting lip then it will be 4.5" more to outside lip of a 9" and 5.5 " more to the outside lip of a 10" wheel..that's why a 10" wheel with the same backspacing of a 9" wheel will have a deeper dish b/c it extends out further

And yeh the side wall won't stretch but near the wheel lip it will..If you run wide ass tires on skinny wheels the tread will balloon up some too wearing the middle of the tires down quicker unless you air down a shit load. The width of the tires just isn't noticeable going from 1" wider or narrower wheel bc its changes so slightly..I'm pretty sure a 12.50 will be wider on a 14" wheel than on a 7" wheel. But haven't done it lol

Wider wheels can't stretch/bulge sidewalls?? hmmm haha

#24 ·
Backspacing is distance from inner lip to the mounting face of the wheel..if you mount 2 wheels with the same backspacing but one is 1" wider it will stick out 1 more inch (with no tires mounted) Like 4.5" from inner lip to mounting lip then it will be 4.5" more to outside lip of a 9" and 5.5 " more to the outside lip of a 10" wheel..that's why a 10" wheel with the same backspacing of a 9" wheel will have a deeper dish b/c it extends out further

And yeh the side wall won't stretch but near the wheel lip it will..If you run wide ass tires on skinny wheels the tread will balloon up some too wearing the middle of the tires down quicker unless you air down a shit load. The width of the tires just isn't noticeable going from 1" wider or narrower wheel bc its changes so slightly..I'm pretty sure a 12.50 will be wider on a 14" wheel than on a 7" wheel. But haven't done it lol

Wider wheels can't stretch/bulge sidewalls?? hmmm haha
^^ This guy should not be allowed to own a truck! That is absolutely retarded. Stretched tires look bad enough on lowered cars. They have absolutely no place on lifted trucks.

And yes Jake09, you are completely right.

#21 · (Edited)
Yeah your right, I was confused on the centerline of the wheel and how it worked with the offset...fml.

Those are boggers and don't count being bias ply, no one around here runs bias. I said radials or steel belted tires. Besides we're talking 9 to a 10 not 7 to 14 haha.

A 12.50 will look different on a 9 than a 10 bc of the ballon affect, but won't actually be any wider.

What is that a 12.50 on like a 14" rim. Looks retarded. I just don't get it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.