DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need Help With Timing Chain Issue

784 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dabranco 
#1 ·
I hate to keep asking questions about lining up the timing marks, but I'm still worried I haven't done it right. Okay, when they talk about lining up the dots do you turn the crank and cam sprockets separately WITHOUT the chain on em? And then, when they are inline, take em off and put the chain around them and THEN put the set on?

I've been trying to do it with the set installed and just turning the crank, but those pesky dots are a little bit off.

The crank turns by using the damper bolt I know, but how do you turn the cam sprocket?

#4 ·
Pics would help. I just did a timing chain in mine using a Mopar Performance kit, basically a Melling, but the price was good. Does yours have multiple keyways for advance and retard, or only one?

#5 ·
I think you're making this too difficult.

Take off the cover.

Rotate the crank pulley until the dots line up.

Carefully remove both sprockets and chain as a system.

Remove old chain. Put new chain. Make sure the dots still line up when the chain is taut.

Maintain that tension and carefully slide the system onto both shafts simultaneously. Voila!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.