DODGE RAM FORUM banner

instrument cluster?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Crab donkey 
#1 ·
Ok guys I have an issue with my 2004 dodge ram. My speedometer has started to act up. Sometimes it doesnt work until about 40mph. Usually bounces around. Abs and ebrake lights are not on like I have seen in previous threads. I dont see any problems with the wires to the speed sensor and have not yet changed it.
Also the check engine light will be on for a few days with no codes then go off a few days but still make that beep after start up as if it were on.
And whenever its cold in the morning, ill start it up and the check guages light will come on and the oil level gauge will not read. Shut it down and fire it up and itll be fine. I'm thinking its the instrument panel itself but was just told by someone it may be my fuse box.
Anyone else have an issue like this?

#2 ·
Don't know if this will help or not but I think you can perform an IP diagnostic. Hold the odometer reset button down while turning the ignition to the "on" position. Not starting the truck, just one position before. The cluster will run through a 10-15 second diagnostic that illuminates the lights and sweeps the tach and speedo to prescribed points. I think it also reads out any error codes in the digital readout at the bottom when it gets done. Worth a try anyway. I haven't had any issues but I have tried this on my 2004 and it works. When it got done with the diagnostic mine read "NONE" in the digital readout.

#4 · (Edited)
you may need to retrain the transmission

Some transmission problems may require "retraining" the computer. This is also necessary if an electronic transmission or computer has been replaced. Chrysler TSB 18-24-95 describes the retraining procedure that allows the computer to relearn the correct shift points.

Disconnect the battery to erase the computer's memory. ( i was told to leave cable off for about 15 minutes )
Reconnect the battery and start the engine.
Drive he vehicle while trying to maintain a constant throttle position as it accelerates up through all four gears. If the transmission is shifting properly, it should be in 4th gear by the time you reach 45 to 50 mph. Repeat this procedure from a standing start 15 to 20 times.
With the vehicle traveling at less than 25 mph, do five to eight wide open throttle kickdowns to get the transmission to downshift to 1st from 2nd or 3rd gear. Drive in 2nd or 3rd gear for at least five seconds between kickdowns and remember to kick it down only when you are going less than 25 mph.
While driving at 45 to 50 mph, do five to eight part to wide open throttle kickdowns to either 2nd or 3rd from 4th gear. Again, continue driving for at least five seconds in 4th gear between kickdowns.

i believe this same method is done sometimes when you fail a smog test
it sounds almost exactly like what the smog shop told me that i had to do, exept he had me make complete stops at some points

#5 ·
i dont think the code or the transmission have anything to do with the issue. i did find what the code meant and it was "67 All door unlock output circuit shorted to ground or voltage." so that doesnt sound to me like it would be the issue. im going to remove the cluster tomorrow and check it out. My buddy just threw me off saying there was a recall on the fuse box? i dunno

#6 ·
I have a 2008 1500 2wd crew cab. My brake, ABS, engine lights stay on and the speed odometer stop working. I have replaced the "rear speed sensor" and today I replace the front Left Hub with speed sensor on it. The lights are still on and the speedo still doesn't work. I disconected the battery for 24 hr. period but I am still having the above problems. I am at my wits end. Can ony one help me here, because I can't get any information from the dealership, infact they want to keep the truck for 4-5 days. I just tried the cluster reset method and after it goese through what ever it doing the final readout say "hr 2205" what ever that means. Putting it on the diognostics at Auto Zone it comes up with 3 errors, and says non idetifiable codes. Help Please

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.