DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
crogers is on a distinguished road
Default 1st post from a 4 year member

I have been browsing this forum since I bought my 09 SLT Crew Cab 5.7l 4x4 with 20k in early 2010(was pretty much a gift, got it for $18,500 from a family member). Always found answers to questions I had and several good tips on how to complete tasks. Being my first post I hope its ok if its a little long!

I recently paid the loan off, and just clocked 90,000 miles. I have been debating the past couple months on trading it in or fixing and upgrading the ol' dodge. I thought this would be the best place to get some advice.

To start with, I had new Michelin A/T2 tires installed yesterday because the tires I had were cupped out bad and had dangerously low tread depth. The old tires vibrated from 40-90 mph all the time, but it was much worse around 70-80. Taking sharper turns on the interstate made it even worse sometimes, other times it was smooth when turning. The new Michelin's ride better, until I get up around 70-80, then the vibration is almost as bad as before. I am almost positive its in the front, but what? What all should I start checking?

The ABS/ESP/SERV 4x4 lights come on for a while and then go often. Stopped by a local auto store and had codes read, don't remember number but it said left front speed sensor failure I believe.

There has been a exhaust manifold bolt broke for about a year now on passenger side. It broke off flush with the head. I tried to drill it and use an extractor, ended up breaking tip of extractor off in the bolt I am assuming the dealer will say the head will have to be replaced, but not sure.

I still have the hvac and pinion nut recalls to get fixed. The spark plugs haven't been changed either.

Finally, there is a fairly major coolant leak somewhere. I cant tell where it is. the whole front of the motor stays a little wet, but the only drips that I see are coming from where the trans bolts to the motor. im thinking coolant is running back from around water pump, but im not sure.

does anyone know anything about these problems? If I thought I could get 150k+ miles without any major problems, I wouldn't consider trading. With the problems I have been having lately im not sure if it would make it that long. What should I do?
Sponsored links
Old 05-12-2014, 01:19 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

All those sound like pretty minor fixes and/or repairs.

Here's my thoughts. Even if it takes a couple thousand to get it fixed, which I don't think it will because many of those items are DIY fixes, a couple thousand now still beats a $500+ truck payment for 6, 7, or 8 years. Fix 'er up and get another 4 or 5 years out of it.

That's what I've done with my 05. I'd love a new truck, but I don't want a new truck payment. You're truck's only 5 years old. It still has lots of life left.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 2WD
Trim Level: slt- lonestar
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:61
BULLRAM will become famous soon enough

The manifold bolt was warrantied for life for the original owner, and you say they are in your family?
the head had to be replaced on mine when they broke them off in there,REAL EXPENSIVE
the pipe on the water pump had a crack which leaked coolant from it on mine ,
still warranty
check to see if they can take it in for you.......worth a try
Old 05-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough

Let me just chime in about the vibrations you're getting even after switching tires. I'm on my third set of tires now. With each set, no matter what I did or how many times I had the alignment done, or how many times I had the wheels balanced, I always seemed to get a little vibration (like a wheel out of balance). The issue was the LEAST intrusive with the Cooper Zeons I ran (That was my second set of tires), but it was still there. I now run Goodyear Silent Armors and while the handling and ride are basically good, I still have a minor vibration issue - mainly from 70-75mph. My tire shop has rebalanced my wheels a few times and nothing seems to help. Mind you, I rotate religiously and tend to have my wheels balanced annually anyway, so it's not like I get them balanced once when installed and then forget about it.

So I'm not sure about that one - it's the first vehicle I've owned where I just can't get the balancing right, and it drives me crazy. This is, of course, assuming that the vibrations you're feeling are what I'm feeling, which seems to be related to balancing.