DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2012 1500 uConnect 430N repeating error "USB update file"?

15K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  kenny7354569 
#1 ·
I love my 1500 Bighorn. I have had only this one issue, so far...

Today, I started getting my uConnect telling me two different things at random times. One thing it does/says is start the voice recognition setup. The majority of the time it simply cancels out on its own. I've actually ran through the recognition setup just to see if it would go away. It didn't.

The other ting it randomly does is tell me something to the effect of "please insert a mass storage device with the update file in the USB drive."

I have paired 3 Android phones with the 430N so far. One was a HTC Incredible 2. And two Motorola Droid Razr MAXX's. The latest Razr MAXX is set as the primary.

This started today. I talked to a parts person on the phone (from the dealership I purchased my Ram) and he cannot get me an appointment, before I go on leave on Monday. However, he commented that it sounds like one of the uConnect buttons is stuck. I RARELY use my uConnect with exception to streaming songs from my phone. I've MAYBE pressed either of the two buttons a total of 8 times. While I was trouble shooting, I was messing with the buttons, to no avail. I don't keep sticky stuff on my fingers either lol

I will probably try to unplug the battery tomorrow and see if that helps.

Oh, lastly, I have about 4 gigs of music (no pictures) on the hard drive. All the audio/input modes work fine, as I've cycled through them. This also randomly comes on even when I've turned off the stereo, by pressing power button.

Any help will be welcome and thank you all!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello, Actually the dealer is incorrect about the sticking button. This is an issue that can be fixed with a SW update. What is the build date of the truck? Can you wait till Monday for me to get you the update for this issue. I don't have it here at home but I can get it for you Monday. The update process is quite easy. You download the file to a thumb drive and place it in the USB hub in the glove box then a couple more steps. It takes about 20 - 25 minutes to perform. If you don't want to attempt it (but as I mentioned it is quite easy), then the dealer should have access to the update file. They may just be behind on their level of knowledge. I think I have the TSB # for this issue also at work and can get to you on Monday.
Looks like I'll have to start a new thread on this issue and have it put up as a sticky if possible.

PS, I just re read the last statement in your post, Don't let hem tell you this isa radio issue and they need to order a new radio. You need the update that I mentioned above.

I love my 1500 Bighorn. I have had only this one issue, so far...

Today, I started getting my uConnect telling me two different things at random times. One thing it does/says is start the voice recognition setup. The majority of the time it simply cancels out on its own. I've actually ran through the recognition setup just to see if it would go away. It didn't.

The other ting it randomly does is tell me something to the effect of "please insert a mass storage device with the update file in the USB drive."

I have paired 3 Android phones with the 430N so far. One was a HTC Incredible 2. And two Motorola Droid Razr MAXX's. The latest Razr MAXX is set as the primary.

This started today. I talked to a parts person on the phone (from the dealership I purchased my Ram) and he cannot get me an appointment, before I go on leave on Monday. However, he commented that it sounds like one of the uConnect buttons is stuck. I RARELY use my uConnect with exception to streaming songs from my phone. I've MAYBE pressed either of the two buttons a total of 8 times. While I was trouble shooting, I was messing with the buttons, to no avail. I don't keep sticky stuff on my fingers either lol

I will probably try to unplug the battery tomorrow and see if that helps.

Oh, lastly, I have about 4 gigs of music (no pictures) on the hard drive. All the audio/input modes work fine, as I've cycled through them. This also randomly comes on even when I've turned off the stereo, by pressing power button.

Any help will be welcome and thank you all!

#21 ·
My GPA has had this problem with his 2012 ram 2500 its just got a regular stock single disk mp3 aux n xm he sent his radio in and got another one they sent him one out of a jeep but same radio and same problem
Hello, Actually the dealer is incorrect about the sticking button. This is an issue that can be fixed with a SW update. What is the build date of the truck? Can you wait till Monday for me to get you the update for this issue. I don't have it here at home but I can get it for you Monday. The update process is quite easy. You download the file to a thumb drive and place it in the USB hub in the glove box then a couple more steps. It takes about 20 - 25 minutes to perform. If you don't want to attempt it (but as I mentioned it is quite easy), then the dealer should have access to the update file. They may just be behind on their level of knowledge. I think I have the TSB # for this issue also at work and can get to you on Monday.
Looks like I'll have to start a new thread on this issue and have it put up as a sticky if possible.

PS, I just re read the last statement in your post, Don't let hem tell you this isa radio issue and they need to order a new radio. You need the update that I mentioned above.

#3 ·
Thank xsdbs!
I will be driving to AZ Monday, but, I will be able to dowload and install on the road. No problem! I will be heading out soon and will get the date then. If any of this info helps, then here you go as well:

App # 33.00.41 Gracenote D9F
System 0207

And I will get you the build date asap

#4 ·
cool, Then I'll get you the file on Monday. That information tha tyou provided is for the radio and is the most current SW for it. Your raadio is built by Mitsubishi and has an external Ucinnect module and that is what we will be updating. This is why I mentioned not to let the dealer tell you it's a radio issue, it's not. :smileup:

Thank xsdbs!
I will be driving to AZ Monday, but, I will be able to dowload and install on the road. No problem! I will be heading out soon and will get the date then. If any of this info helps, then here you go as well:

App # 33.00.41 Gracenote D9F
System 0207

And I will get you the build date asap

#7 ·
correct about the fuse, it's the main 12v for the Uconnect. This alone proves that it's not a radio issue. Anyway I'll get the file for you tomorrow. I have a meeting in the morning but I'll get it as soon as I can, ok.

Apparently, the M10 is for the uConnect. If I simply leave that out, my stereo will seemingly work just fine. However, there will be no uConnect. Just saying. And even though I don't use it often, I still would like it to work LOL

#12 ·
The install went fine just as you said. However the last step I did not pull the usb out and started the update again. So as panic set in, i yanked it out and turn off the truck and open the door. It's only been a few minutes but it seems to have worked. the software still says the same as the update file. Sorry for the grammar and punctuation I'm using voice to text

#13 ·
cool, glad you got it done and I'll say you were luck by pulling the USB out. A lot of times that will spazz the update process andd hemodule will get locked out. I think I will add a note about that it my instructions. Anyway, glad you got it going. Let me (us) know how it worked out for you. I think you'll be glad not to hear that message that you were hearing before. :smileup:

The install went fine just as you said. However the last step I did not pull the usb out and started the update again. So as panic set in, i yanked it out and turn off the truck and open the door. It's only been a few minutes but it seems to have worked. the software still says the same as the update file. Sorry for the grammar and punctuation I'm using voice to text

#14 ·
Thank you again so much.
yeah I consider myself pretty computer savvy. For the most part I know my way around electronics, flashing firmware and new ROMs, etc. I literally slapped myself in the face when I did that lol!
My reasoning for doing it was because I didn't want to sit through the whole process again. The justification I went with is that it's just simply a slow computer And it was just on the initialization of starting the update. Once I decided that yank it I may as well follow through and cut the power by opening the door.

#15 ·
Oh yeah and as a status update, it's been an hour without a hitch. Cross my fingers, knock on wood. I have successfully downloaded my phone book, used uconnect from the stereo interface and directly from my phone to make phone calls, and I'm able to stream music from my phone to the stereo as well. I have also been able to listen to and send text messages from phone book using the uconnect. And just for anyone's information I am using a motorola droid razor maxx.

#18 ·
I have just a quick question. You have the RAZR MAXX and you say that you can send txt messages thru Uconnect? You're sending one of the twenty prerecorded mmessages, correct? I know that most of the Motorolas (RAZR, Droid4, Bionic, Droidx) were able to recieve and read messages but couldn't send a message. Uconnect would say sending of txt message failed. Thanks for the info on that phone. I hadn't been able to test it yet. What is the SW version on it? Also doesn't it hane Ice Cream Sandwich on it?

Oh yeah and as a status update, it's been an hour without a hitch. Cross my fingers, knock on wood. I have successfully downloaded my phone book, used uconnect from the stereo interface and directly from my phone to make phone calls, and I'm able to stream music from my phone to the stereo as well. I have also been able to listen to and send text messages from phone book using the uconnect. And just for anyone's information I am using a motorola droid razor maxx.

#16 ·
I'm glad that you got it working correctly

How is IB these days, i don't down there too often any more
most of my work takes me to LAX, Calexico, Yuma, Fontana, & once in a while to Otay Mesa

#17 ·
Thanks! Imperial beach is still nice and it's pretty quiet. they're getting ready to put a marriott hotel in there though. It's going up near the pier, close to the farmers market. I live on seacoast so I get a lot of the marine layer. I prefer the cool air anyway so it works out great for me.

#19 ·
I have the same issue!

Last Friday I took my truck in to my dealer for the same issue, non stop pop ups asking for a mass storage device update file as well the voice program crap and it reads my phone is not connected then it is? They tried to re-program it with they're updated file and no luck. Today I took it back for them to install a brand new radio and still the same issue, I am very upset and not impressed with Dodge at this point. Yes I have been living with this issue for more than 2 weeks and want to smash my radio into a million pieces, you have no idea how much i hate that women's voice.

#20 ·
Please see your other thread. I replied there.:smileup:

Last Friday I took my truck in to my dealer for the same issue, non stop pop ups asking for a mass storage device update file as well the voice program crap and it reads my phone is not connected then it is? They tried to re-program it with they're updated file and no luck. Today I took it back for them to install a brand new radio and still the same issue, I am very upset and not impressed with Dodge at this point. Yes I have been living with this issue for more than 2 weeks and want to smash my radio into a million pieces, you have no idea how much i hate that women's voice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.