DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Dealer just called - my truck is in! Got any inspection tips?

4K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  skytop 
#1 ·
Anything in particular I should be looking for during my walk-around inspection?

#2 ·
DAYLIGHT DAYLIGHT DAYLIGHT! don't be afraid to jump in the bed to look at the roof. Mine sustained damage in transit but didn't see till i was detailing it. Drive it go through all the gears, and 4 wheel drive. Play with every button inside let the salesman give you a lesson even though you know what it does. then once your satisfied sign away, and good luck with the new ride!!!:beerchug::beerchug:

#9 · (Edited)
You're too excited in the moment. You wanna' get the hell out of their and drive your ride around and enjoy it for a few miles B4 the evening sets in. You'll miss little intricate things [specially the body's paint] that will surface later and you'll want them addressed.

There's a [damn good] chance the dealership/Chrysler may deny your claim or, at the very least, give you the run around if that happens. Why? Because you should have thoroughly checked your new vehicle for damages, imperfections and the like prior to picking it up. The burden of proof is on you to prove that those issues were present before you drove off. Think about it....

Women, for the most part, are [much] more attentive to the task at hand then us. They ask what's the cake made of; we just eat it, smile and say it tastes good.

Whenever I make a large purchase, my wife [almost] always will accompany me.

Trust me on this one.

Good luck and congrats again.

#12 ·
From experience...Have a look at it inside and go over it with a fine tooth comb....Then take it outside into daylight...Have a look for any paint issues, bumper alignment issues, have a look around the creases of the door, have a look at the hood and paint for any modelling.....

I would also look at various angles at the truck and the paint itself.....Once your satisfied then move onto the roof...If you have a sunroof look around the edges to ensure that there are no gaps...Also have a look for any damage that usually goes unnoticed.....\

From there move onto your interior....Have a good look and test all the goodies that your getting. Test the key fob, remote start,,,,Take your time.....

Also have a look at your rims to ensure that there are no blemishes,.....The main thing that you need to do is take your spouse....Which was already mentioned,,,,LOL....

Good luck and please let us know...Post some pics......

#14 ·
Besides careful external inspection outside in sun, I always have my vehicles put on a lift so I can examine the undercarriage for any shipping damage or obvious build problems. If you can bring a car knowledgeable friend along to help look, all the better. You are going to be all emotionally charged up and may not be functioning at your normal level. 4 eyes are better than 2 googly eyes.

#20 ·
When I took delivery of mine, the dealer was up front and showed me a spot on the tailgate where the factory robot aparently didn't put the paint on thick enough and primer is showing through. They wanted to have their body shop repaint the tailgate, I insisted a brand new one be sent from the factory and the "Ram advocate" at the factory agreed.

#21 ·
Paint!!!!! 79 dirt nibs in my paint...every body panel except the tailgate.

Look at the paint from all angles. Do not trust sunlight. Check it out under very good fluorescent lighting. I keep following the paint threads to see if Chrysler has resolved the Warren paint booth issues. Based on problems still showing up on late 2013's, they have not. I was sort of thinking about trading for a 2014 Ram. Think I'll continue to wait and see. Better that taking your wife with you, I suggest that you take a reliable detail tech or paintless dent repair tech. These guys have "good eyes". It would be worth paying one a few dollars.

If and that is a big "if", I buy another Ram, I will have something written into the order contract stating that if the truck comes in and is less than near perfect, I can turn the truck down and have my deposit refunded without a hassle.

I've had three Rams. The paint on my 2012 is much worse than on my 2003 or 2007 as far a dirt nibs. All of them have had considerable orange peel, but that is a complaint about all makes. Based on the Ford and Toyota forums that I have been following, bad paint has not been an issue with very many of these trucks.

#22 ·
Might be a silly question, but I going to ask, should the gas tank be full when I pick up the truck?

#23 ·
gas is usually up to the dealership
a great dealer will fill your tank
a so so dealer may give you gas enough to make it back home

as for looking for things that may be questionable
TAKE A CAMERA, pictures don't lie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.