DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2nd oil change..dealer or not

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  blk2011st 
#1 ·
At 12000 km my 2nd oil change is due.would it be a warrantee problem to get it done at an oil change place(warrantee approved)they say.Any horror stories?

#5 ·
I took my wife's VW to a quick lube place recently for the first time.
I was pretty pleased with them. I did this mostly for convenience and price.The VW dealership charges $130 (requires synthetic) and I had to wait 3 days for an appointment.
I drove in to the Jiffy Lube and they did it right away for $79.
I am going to put synthetic in my Ram next time. The stealership wants $139 and lube place charges $69 for Quaker State and $20 more for Mobil 1.

#6 ·
I have been told that if you want to bring the synthetic oil when you get your oil changed at the dealer they will do it and it doesn't effect your warranty??

Does anyone know if this is the case...

Thanks,

Ed

#8 ·
fast lubes

I've not used a "quick oil change" garage in many years,...not since I personally observed that some will skip changing the filter. And even if they do change it, you will most likely get a no-name filter of unknown quality.

Yes it will take longer and cost more if your dealer does your oil change, but you can be assured that you will get an oem quality/name filter, and the oil you specified. While I understand that among big name oil brands, there are no bad ones, I always get a full synthetic fill at my dealer.

The extra cost of dealer service is worth it to me in terms of peace of mind, besides that cost is nothing compared to what a new Ram itself costs.

#11 ·
My brother in law went to a quick oil change place. When he left he got a mile away and the car shut off. They forgot to put oil in it. He called them and told them and they actually said "oh,ok.....which car was that." Apparently his was not the only one that day. long story short, they put some junk motor in it and it was never the same. The funny part of the story, if there is one, is the fact that he had always changed his oil him self and this was the very first time he brought it some place. Personally I always change my own fluids so i know it is done right.

#12 ·
Well I went to the dealer today to get the oil changed.They also did the first inspection that was due anyway.The place where I bought it said it would take 4 hrs to do the inspection,the local dealer here did it in 1 hr.Cost was $96.I asked about using synthetic oil and the reply was,"oh thats an extra $60."I found that excessive so I didnt go for it.I'm starting to like the local dealer somewhat better.

#13 ·
I get my oil changed at the local Havoline Xpress Lube, regular 5w 20 oil. Synthetic
is a waste of money. I save the receipts. The engine is only covered for three years.
In 50 years of driving, I've never had to have warranty work done on an engine. I did
have a transmission come apart once at the track when racing a new 1962
Plymouth Super Stock max wedge 413.

#16 ·
had this conversation with my father a little over 30 years ago. i don't find synthetic junk, but a natural progressive improvement in fluids. dino is fine if you are going tdo oil changes every 3 or four thousand miles, but with the longer oci and thinner oils, i find the synthetics beneficial.

#17 ·
I`ve always changed my own oil, especially after hearing stories of filters coming loose. At least if you do it yourself you know what you`ve got. I usually rotate my tires as well while the oil is draining. Had the dealership rotate them once and it cost me $96 for an hours labour for them to use a lift and air tools to do something I did in 45 mins with a jack ,2 jack stands, and hand tools. I figure why waste money when you can take a bit of your own time and do it yourself. Another perk of doing it yourself is you can look things over when you`re under the truck. I had mine at the dealership to have the front end inspected for routine maintenance and the next day it was the alignment shop that told me about a CV boot leaking. There was grease all over the inner fender, A arms and everything but somehow the mechanic missed this when doing the inspection.

#18 ·
I would strongly urge you to not use a quick lube place. I used to manage a "jiffy lube" and a "valvoline instant oil change" and to say the least, it is a shady business. Depending on the circumstances, wether its a technician being lazy and not wanting to change a filter, or just a lack of inventory, there will usually be something that was forgotten or simply not done. Some of the "horror" stories I have seen (and shamefully contributed to) are:
1. Woops, we dont have their oil filter in stock. Just spray it with brake cleaner and write todays date on the old one.
2. Hey i destroyed the oil filter taking it off and we dont have a new one. Ah, go find one in the USED filter barrel and clean it up.
3. Did anybody put oil in that car that just left...?
4. Crap, were out of the 5-20 synthetic they wanted and we already drained it. Just put 10-30 dino oil in it.

These are just a few examples of why i NEVER let anybody touch any of my vehicles. And a little word of advice, If you do use them to have your oil changed, pick a oil that they carry in bottles and WATCH THEM CRACK OPEN THE SEAL on them. The bulk oil is usually a cheap mystery oil. Yes, i am embarrased to say that i have refilled oil bottles with bulk oil just so the customer can "see me pour it in". Things like these are more likely to happen when they have a long line and dont have the time to run up the street to the local autozone or napa and get the stuff they need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.