DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Can my 2001 1500 handle this tow?

5K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  NRA4ever 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a 2001 Ram 1500 Reg cab short bed with 5.2 engine. I'm going to be using a friends trailer that he says weighs about 2500lbs and tounge weight of 400ish and I'll be using it to pick up a 1991 s10 reg cab shortbed and the engine and trans for it that aren't in the truck. I was going to put the truck on the trailer and engine/trans in the bed of my truck, but the friend letting me use the trailer thinks that will be too much for my truck. I thought I would be fine since once I pick up the truck going back to my house is only 30 minutes and the speed limits never go over 45 the whole way. So the ultimate question, can my truck handle it like I think it can?

#5 ·
I picked up a 01 cavaler with a tandem car trailer for 45 miles not one issue

#9 ·
Id say its fine, with a couple stipulations...
Is the transmission AND trans cooler in good shape, if not I wouldn't do it

Also, what condition are your brakes in? 1500 series brakes can be somewhat sub-par, typically rated for 7000# if memory serves. Add up the truck's weight, add the trailer, and the S-10 and you will be pretty close to that. If they are worn down, you may be asking too much from your brakes.
The pulling part of a tow is always the easy part.... its the ability to safely stop that gets us in trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.