DODGE RAM FORUM banner

430N RHB Custom Points of Interest Upload

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BBRam 
#1 ·
After a bunch of investigation, learning curves and some frustrating moments I have finally figured this out. Being in sales I spend most of my days on the road from one end of the province to the other. I wanted to get all my customers loaded into my nav but there was no way in hell I was going to upload 135 addresses manually. So I set out to see if I could upload POI's to the 430 from a memory stick. Low and behold you can!!!

First you need to create a list of points of interest. I found numerous websites that offer this service for a fee, and found a few that will let you create lists but only up to a total of 50 points. Upon further investigation I found that you can actually create these lists in excel, save it as a .csv format then use Garmins own POI Uploader tool to do the conversion for you.

This is the website I use for creating POI's
http://www.poigenie.co.uk/poi_creator
I transfer the data from here to my excel spreadsheet.

This takes a little bit of effort to create the list and manually look up the lat. and long. but for me it was well worth the effort. Next save as a .csv or comma separated value.

Next download and install Garmins POI Loader software.
http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-12
Follow these instructions for naming and saving your custom POI's.

Step 1 - Download a POI database file from the web or create your own
Step 2 – Using POI Loader from Garmin (Garmin: POI Loader) create the POI.gpi file from the database file you have gotten from the web or created
Step 3 – Save the POI.gpi file to your computer as a file
Step 4 – You will now need a USB Stick to load the custom POI to so that it can be loaded to the vehicle system. Create a folder on a blank USB stick entitled Garmin, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the folder would be D:\Garmin
Step 5 – Create a folder within the Garmin folder named Poi, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the folder would be D:\Garmin\Poi
Step 6 – Copy the POI.gpi file to the Garmin\Poi folder on the USB Stick, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the file location would be D:\Garmin\Poi\POI.gpi
Step 7 – Insert the USB Stick to the radio and the Garmin navigation application will display a message that the custom POIs are ready to be copied, select yes.
Step 8 – To view the custom POI list select WhereTo, Extras, Custom POIs and you will see the list.

Here is what the upload process looks like on our 430N.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBRg8y5GF_o

It's very simple once you get started, I'm looking into what else we can load into the Garmin system/manipulate data that is already there. As I learn more I'll post details.

If anyone has any questions shoot me a pm with your contact details and I'll be happy to help out.

Thanks to testdummy over at jeepforums for posting the Garmin instructions.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi there, Im using the garmin poi loader...which is placing the files onto my usb drive..when I go to upload..it gives me a pnd failure notice..thoughts?
Make sure your POI file is literally called POI.gpi secondly make sure you say okay to overwriting the current custom POI file as I detailed in the short video.
Shoot me a pm or email stump3r@gmail.com if you can't get it working and I'll shoot you my phone number, maybe we can figure it out that way if need be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.