DODGE RAM FORUM banner

5.7 hemi exhaust has black soot in tips

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Troutzilla 
#1 ·
:3-startled:I'm curious to know if this is common w/ all ram 5.7 hemi's or just some. Is this a case of the mondays at the chrysler plant where they assemble the 5.7 hemi's or it's all of them or maybe I'm just one of the unlucky few? I run mobil 1 full synthetic 5 W20 extended performance & mobil 1 or/ bosch oil filters. I change the oil in my truck religiously at or before every 3 thousand miles. I can honestly say it's usually way before 3,000 but I don't care cause clean fresh oil makes for a happy engine... BUt heres my issue. I clean my truck once a week, sometimes every other if the weather conflicts. I do all my chrome & always notice my dual exhaust tips after being sparkling clean, they turn all sooty & black around the rim & it collects in the bottom of the tips. Why? In my history of 32yrs on this planet & growing up w/ engines on 2,3 & 4 wheels. Anytime I see this it's usually due to some form of oil consumption. I's that whats going on here, do the hemi's sip from their own pans or is this just my hemi. It's a 2012 for christs sake, so it really shouldn't be consuming anything in my opinion it should only be chugging gas! I read a thread somewhere that the person said the engine is running rich on fuel. Ok then is that what's going on here? Is there a fix/ reprogram/ flash that could be done at the dealer. It best be free seeing how this is a brand new truck. Any chrysler techs on hand to give some insight??? :4-dontknow:

#2 ·
I hear you with the complaint about the soot build up on the tips. I have a 2010, bought it brand new, off the lot. I just turned 17k on the odometer this week. The dealer has never had an answer for my question about it. Regardless of how often I ask. It is kind of pissing me off. Anyone else have an answer for this?

#3 ·
Those black, sooty looking deposits are normal on most all late model tailpipes. I don't know all the science or chemistry involved, but from the kind of fuel we have, to cats, and the cleaner running engines, this all comes together to yield an exhaust end that looks like that. Now, that may sound counterintuitive when you look at that black stuff, but what's going on in the combustion chamber doesn't look like that. If you notice, you can't even do spark plug readings like we used to do. Spark plugs in modern engines with today's pump gas don't even looked they've been used for quite a few miles. The fuel types and cleaner burning engines make spark plug readings just about impossible...talking about street vehicles and not race vehicles on race gas.

On your oil changes, it's your truck and your nickel, but I think most folks would tell you you're wasting some very good oil with those change intervals.

#4 ·
My thinking is that it's not oil, it's from running a rich fuel mixture. I think the auto makers program the ECMs to run just a tad rich, because having a slightly richer mixture is safer for an engine sold in mass than having a lean mixture. They tend to err on the side of caution, which is why tuner companies make their money. They fine tune the "general population" settings into "performance" settings. Factory settings won't be at the edge of the engines limits so that their engines can survive the "neglect" of most everyday drivers.

#5 ·
I believe it has something to do with the WINTER fuel mixture
I have 62,000 miles on my '09 & the Summer blend does not seem to blacken the tips as much
I just wipe the tips off when i get it washed

On May 1, all gas sold in the USA & Canada MUST be Summer Blend, if your station runs out of fuel before then, they have the summer blend a bit earlier
Your local fuel tank farm can only accept summer blend after April 15th, so you may get summer blend anytime after this Sunday

Your gas mileage should climb a bit for the better with summer blend

#6 ·
I appreciate the fuel explanation n all. Ill see if it changes things. Ill say this much as far as changing my oil too often, there ain't no such thing! I run a little p.o.s. Pontiac sunfire to n from work. Its 120 miles a day! Its pushing 240,000 all because of my oil changes. So to some it may be a waste, but to me its just preservation!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.