DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1996 1500 ram transmission issues

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  erm 
#1 ·
96 ram 1500 138k

transmission shifts good when cold but once warmed up i have to back off the gas a bit to get it to shift from 3 to 4. sometimes it is easy to get done and sometimes it is ridiculously hard. once REALLY warmed up, it occasionally has the same issue on a lesser note shifting from 2 to 3. downshifting from overdrive takes it straight into 3rd.

the truck is new to me. the guy said he had it worked on and had "the bands tightened" at 108k. there were no issues with shifting at that time. then, the radiator went out and he had it replaced but the mechanic tightened the tranny coolant lines too tight and cracked the housing allowing a leak which was not noticed until a light came on (i guess) and the reservoir was 3 quarts low. refilled and there were still no issues shifting until 1 yr later when it started doing this. he says it has been doing this for 1 yr and has not got any better or worse.

what do you guys think. should i try a power flush and filter change or skip the money waste and have it dropped/repaired?

i kind of half wonder if the fluid is just shot from being low and overheating. hell, i don't even know if the right fluid is in it. but i also don't know squat about diagnosing transmission issues

See less See more
G
#2 ·
I'd have the transmission serviced and a new filter put in first. Normally, low fluid levels or fluid that has overheated (lost viscosity) will cause shifting problems. A service is the cheapest first step.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.