DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Opinions needed for tire and lift additions... lots of reading haha

9K views 42 replies 7 participants last post by  Torq89 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone!

I am looking to lift my truck a bit. I would like to know if I can use a hockey puck and stuff it between the strut to add some lift? If I do that then can I fit 35" tires? Im just playing with ya! I got a real question.........

Alright as you all know I got a 6" lift rght now on 35" tires. I want to go a little bigger and I am a little confused on what I can do. I just think some opinions and brainstorming will help me out.

I am looking at for sure a body lift to get me another 3" of lift. This will bring me up to a total of 9". My Bilstein 5100s are still up front and they can be used to get me more lift height. I do not want to go to the max setting (2.5") since I will have my vibration back in 4x4. I was thinking of using it for around 1.5" of lift. If I do that I will need to get a block in the rear to match....... OR I was thinking of using some air bags in the rear for the extra 1" of lift.

First question = Will air bags in the back be a good way to lift the truck up?? I want to do that since I am planning on buying train horns so I will have a tank and compressor I can run the bags off of. I am thinking this would be a cool way of lifting the rear since I have a block and add-a-leaf so I would have all 3 ways of lifting in the rear. This would also be good if I ever have a load in the rear or something. Let me know what you think of this way of lifting the truck

Second Question = Should I even go higher then 9" of lift? I will do the 9" for sure, I guess I can save up the extra 1.5" for later or whenever I want.

Third Question = When I go with the 9" of lift I cant use my 35s!! So I am looking at 2 different tires right now. I am pretty much set on these so I dont need any tire suggestions. Now I want to go with either the Interco Trxus STS tires in a 38" or the SS M16 in a 40" tire. Now I just want to know what you all think will look better with the 9" lift. I really like the STS tire and thats why I really want to go with the 38" since it is a wicked looking tire. Only reason I want to go with the M16 tire is because it is a 40". The two tires cost the same and the both weight the same. Only difference really is the height.

I know both tires will fit with 9" of lift. The 38s will look comfortable under the wheel wells but the 40s I think will look a little stuffed. Only thing is I can do my 1.5" lift idea to make the 40s look better if I wanted to.

I believe the truck will do fine with such big tires since it has 3.92 gears. I might need to get a little more power and MAYBE a gear change if it is hurting when installed. Definitely will have to upgrade the brakes to stop all the rolling weight. The 38s weigh 98lbs and the 40s weigh 99lbs. I cant believe they are so close in weight and price and everything! Only thing is the 38s are an a/t tire and the 40s are more of a mud tire (with a/t tire aspects)

This is really stressin me out haha. I want to know what you all think about this plan I have. So either 9" or 10.5" of lift and 38" or 40" tires???? Decisions decisions!! haha

Thanks in advance!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Skat. Lifting is addicting! LOL. For the front it is a good idea that you don't want to max the shocks so you don't get a vibration. If you don't use your 4WD you may want to to gain extra clearance and not have the stuffed look. As far as the rear options having bags can add lift. They are a good idea since you want to run the train horns. The best solution for the rear though would be to ditch the lift block and add a leaf for a set of full leaf packs at the desired height. Add a leafs stiffen up the rear and your ride quality will improve from using a lift leaf pack in the rear. As far as tires go do the 40's. You will probably want to regear (going from 35's to 40's you are gonna notice). The m16's are a more aggressive tire and will look better in my opinion. Go big or go home!

G
#3 ·
I say bag it in the back and go to 1.5" in the front. Then you can level it and still get 38's in easy. 40's are not a stretch and may look better.

I agree with the body lift too.

The last thing I am sure of is that you are NUTZ!!! LOL

Have fun with the mods!

#4 ·
How wide are you going with the 38's? I would like to lift the front of my truck 1 more inch but no one can give me a streight answer if it will hurt anything on the front of my truck lol.I was thinking of putting the bilstein 1500's on the front and leave my 1' spacers.I just want to set the bilsteins at 1" of a lift hight.Wonder if it will put too much strain on the ball joints? It will give me a 9" lift total if I do this.I am pretty sure i will have to go with a bigger spacer on my front driveshaft too.What do you guys think?

Not trying to hyjack your thread bro just would like to know what you think about this?

#5 ·
The BDS System does not come with upper control arms that can handle the increased loads placed on them by a severe angle (it re uses the stock arms). You also want to be careful not to strain the half shafts for your 4wd too much (angle increases for these as well). If I were you I would buy the bilstein 5100's and start cranking (from the 0 to 1.5" setting) and see how it goes. Worse case scenario you end up with some really nice shocks and no added lift. I wish i had a more definite answer for you. This is one of those things you are gonna just have to try and see how it goes.

#7 ·
Thanks for the quick reply bro.Well the guys at BDS did not want me to put a preload spacer in.i did and it is fine.I just want 1 more inch and I will leave it alone after that. Here is what my cv angles look like right now.I think everything will be fine if I go up just another inch.I will have the guys at Chuxtrux look at it before we do this.

Here is the 1" preload spacer I have too.

#8 ·
Honestly What I would do if it were my truck I would buy a set of 5100's or if I had the money some 10" coilover kings (you will need a custom upper shock mount to run the king 2.5" coilovers) and remove the pre load spacer. If you crank the 5100s to add more height and have the pre load spacer installed your springs will be super stiff (That is what the pre load spacer does stiffens the spring adds height through spacing the coil from the bucket). I am sure you can gain 1.5" out of a 5100" if you remove the spacer and run them at their max lift setting.

#10 ·
My suggestion was to remove the pre load spacer and crank the bilstein 5100's (ride height adjustable front shocks) to their 2.75" max lift setting. That way you will have an even spring rate rather than run the pre load and the shocks at the same time and throw off the spring rate. You should sit higher with the bilsteins cranked than you do with the spacer now.

#14 ·
You should be fine maxing out the shocks as long as you DO NOT have the spacer in as well. You may have a drive line vibration in the front (in 4WD only) and that varies by lift brand (different lifts change geometry differently). BDS seems to be a well engineered kit so you should be fine. Plus you shouldn't be going very fast if you are in 4WD anyways.

#17 ·
Ya i have to agree. The Bilsteins up front will be a better idea. Scrap the spacer and go with the shocks. THANKS FOR JACKING!! hahaahaha I'm just kidding bro!

Alright there is a new option that I was thinking about. I would not mind going with the coilover setup that Fabtech has for my truck. I would just like to know if I can go higher then 6" lift with the coilovers or not. I am not 100% on how they work.

Yea I am going to do it and I think it is going to be soon. I already have an add-a-leaf in the rear so is there a way to add another or something? I think going with the bags might be the wy I am going to go since I just want them hahaha. I only need 1" of lift in the rear to level it out with the 5100s. I will look into a leaf upgrade and maybe I can scrap the block like you said. I totally agree with you on that one

Is there a way to lift the front with bags? It would be kinda cool to drop the truck down when parked and then jack it up when going. I have never seen front bags for the truck, has anyone else??

I agree that the M16s are more aggressive and thats why I think I am going to go with them. I will try the tires out and if I am having some acceleration problems then i will go to the next gear set. I do think I will but I want to try and avoid spending more money haha. I was just going to do a few upgrades to the truck and now it has exploded into a full project.

Thanks for all the help!

#18 ·
Ya i have to agree. The Bilsteins up front will be a better idea. Scrap the spacer and go with the shocks. THANKS FOR JACKING!! hahaahaha I'm just kidding bro!

Alright there is a new option that I was thinking about. I would not mind going with the coilover setup that Fabtech has for my truck. I would just like to know if I can go higher then 6" lift with the coilovers or not. I am not 100% on how they work.

Yea I am going to do it and I think it is going to be soon. I already have an add-a-leaf in the rear so is there a way to add another or something? I think going with the bags might be the wy I am going to go since I just want them hahaha. I only need 1" of lift in the rear to level it out with the 5100s. I will look into a leaf upgrade and maybe I can scrap the block like you said. I totally agree with you on that one

Is there a way to lift the front with bags? It would be kinda cool to drop the truck down when parked and then jack it up when going. I have never seen front bags for the truck, has anyone else??

I agree that the M16s are more aggressive and thats why I think I am going to go with them. I will try the tires out and if I am having some acceleration problems then i will go to the next gear set. I do think I will but I want to try and avoid spending more money haha. I was just going to do a few upgrades to the truck and now it has exploded into a full project.

Thanks for all the help!
You can definitely lift the front higher if you did the fabtech coilovers. You can pre load them (crank them) so the springs sit lower then the shock body and this will add lift. If you crank them to much your ride will suffer. You can usually get another 2" out of a coilover shock by doing this. This concept is exaclty what the bilsteins do. The fabtech coilovers are going to be much more expensive than the bilsteins. If that is the route you want to go though (the fabtechs) I would look into other brands like fox or king as well. You will spend around the same amount but the fox or king will be a bit nicer (you can add a external reservoir that looks really cool) the fabtechs dont come with a rezi unless you do the big 4.0" ones which would take alot of work in your application.

For the rear I would not add more leafs, it is similar to the way you add a spacer in the front and it increases the spring rate and therefore the ride suffers. I would do a full leaf pack. The bag set up is more for towing and getting maybe another 2" of height. It is not the same as if you four linked the rear and then added the bags to replace your leafs. That would require alot of work. The same goes for the front. if you wanted to bag the front you would need to replace your coil overs with air bags and add shocks or do air struts. I would not recommend doing this because it will be alot more work then you expect. I am not discouraging you from doing it just letting you know that it is going to be alot of money if that is the route you want to go.

#19 ·
If you are willing to spend the ching here is what front and rear air bags would look like (this is a 2wd 2500 but the principle would be the same except in your case you have a differential in the front and have 5 lug axles instead of 8 lug). This truck has a custom air bag lift with a custom cross member up front (you have a fabtech and can reuse it) with bags and in the rear it is four linked (upper and lower control arms to hold axle in place with a panhard bar to center the axle under the truck along with bags to lift it). It is all custom and is not cheap.
Here you go:

#23 ·
Well thats ok.Ya now the 3" body is in the works lol.I was just trying to lift the front more and then I would have just left it alone.Well sence that shot me down I will be putting a 3" body lift on it.I will have to wait till my wife is out of the Nursing program in oct.Then we are buying a house bigger then we have now and I will be getting a house with at least an 8' door so I can get my truck in the guarage :smileup:.

#25 ·
I would take what they said with a grain of salt. I am not saying they are wrong and that I am right but I would not give up. I would still get the bilstein 5100's (ride height adjustable) if I were you and set them at the height you have now. The ride will be better. I would also start adjusting them upward one .25" at a time. Even if you only go up .5" that is still an increase from where you are now. Plus you won't actually know until you try. Just my opinion. I am more into suspension so I would try that before doing the body lift (your truck will look better with the bilsteins/shocks than the body lift and no bilstiens because your tires are gonna look much smaller and I know as a lifted truck guy that will start to bug you in no time!)

#29 ·
I think that is a good plan. Stick with the suspension setup you have and just give it a body lift.

But when are you gonna install the drop down ladder to you can get up in it? ;)
Ya i am leaning towards the 3" body.My truck rides really well right now and if I did level it out when I tow something heavy it will be nose high.

lol ya my wife don't want me to do anything else to my truck.If I do go with a 3" body there is noway she or my kids can get in it by them selves haha.It is hard for them the way it sets now.

#28 ·
Alright cool so I will take a look at the Fox or King coilover kits. I think that would be the better way to go since it looks much better. I would also get a good ride out of it.

Yea the bags was just an idea I was throwing out there. I think that truck looks sweet in the pics. You can tell he spent the coin to make it look really good. I am just going to make it work and make it look good. I agree and I think going with a leaf pack might be the better route here. If I added the bags in the rear it would only be for 1" of lift to make it level.

Thanks for all the help man. I am going to look at the Fox coilovers right now. I am going to spend a pretty penny for them but I think it will be worth it. At least I can sell my Bilsteins to someone haha.

#30 ·
If you keep crankin your suspension your ride is going to be crap man. Do what I'm doin and get a body lift.

Reactions: City Slicker
#32 ·
Haha ya good idea man. I hope you go with a 3" body lift I want to see how it looks. I have been looking and now I really want to do it. I am already ordering my 38" tires hopefully tomorrow. I just have to figure out which body lift I am going to use.

Too bad your far away, would be cool to meet up and do a cruise with our trucks. We got some big trucks that will be even bigger soon enough!!

#34 · (Edited)
Scatpak07 what gears do you have?How wide are you going with the 38's?The reason why i asked is because my dealer told me if I were to change out my gears then my power trane warranty would be void.So I guess i am going to leave my gears i have in it.They told me if anything went wrong with my gears or transmission it would be covered right now.My truck does fine so I am leaving the gears in it.

#35 ·
I just ordered my 3" body lift today and a set of 40x14.5x20 BFG KM2 tires. These tires seemed like they will be perfect for me since they are good on road. Really I had them as my only choice really since my shop got the best deal on them haha. Anyways I should have it all on next week or the week after!

Hey Big Horn, yea would be cool to do something like that!! Maybe set up a meet with some other guys in the summer and I'll drive out or soething. Make a pretty cool weekend out of it, maybe I'll bring my gf or something to stay out there.

I have the 3.92 gears in my truck so I have some room for playing. I think I will most likely upgrade them to some 4.56 gears. I will test it out and see how the truck drives with the stock gears and go from there. I have to see how the stock brakes hold up as well haha, might go with some Willwoods or something

#37 ·
I just ordered my 3" body lift today and a set of 40x14.5x20 BFG KM2 tires. These tires seemed like they will be perfect for me since they are good on road. Really I had them as my only choice really since my shop got the best deal on them haha. Anyways I should have it all on next week or the week after!

Hey Big Horn, yea would be cool to do something like that!! Maybe set up a meet with some other guys in the summer and I'll drive out or soething. Make a pretty cool weekend out of it, maybe I'll bring my gf or something to stay out there.

I have the 3.92 gears in my truck so I have some room for playing. I think I will most likely upgrade them to some 4.56 gears. I will test it out and see how the truck drives with the stock gears and go from there. I have to see how the stock brakes hold up as well haha, might go with some Willwoods or something
Wow 40x14.50's that thing will look awesome bro!!! I can't wait to see it!! Ya i would have to agree with 05akram 4.88's would be a lot better for that size of tire.I am going to call my dealer today and talk to the service manager about changing my rear out.I don't think the yahoo I talked to last week knows for sure if and when I do change the rear out that it will void my warranty on my powertrain.Can't wait to see pics of your truck bro!! It will just make me want a 3" body more and more lol.

That would be awesome if we could get a bunch of people together and have a road trip and meet up :).I wont beable to do it this year but next year I will beable to.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.