DODGE RAM FORUM banner

does dodge ram have issues with rear ends on there trucks ?

40K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Fishman1113 
#1 ·
hello,
it seems to me that an awfull lot of dodge ram owners are having issues with the rear ends on there trucks as well as i . i have a 2006 4x4 5.7 hemi qc with a 3.92 lsd rear end. the other day i was driving down a hill were i live and i herd my rear end humming louder and suddenly the the back tires locked up. i could not move my truck , i then had to put it in 4x4 and put truck in reverse to back uo it then un locked rearend after a while. i took truck out of 4x4 and made it to garage very slowly . while on lift at garage the mechanic showed me where driveshaft goes into rearend there is a bearing and that bearing was toasted and the rear end was gone. i then had truck towed to dealer were they confirmed it and at this time a rebulit rear end is being installed in my truck under warrenty. it amazes me to hear about how many people are having issues with rear ends on there rams. does dodge realize this or are they doing something about this? even when i went to get a rental there was a brand new dodge ram at enterprise rental and they could not rent that ram to me because there is a recall on the rear end on that truck. they are still having issues.

#3 ·
yup bigest problem is the lsd 9.25 rear ends (12 bolt cover) weak link is clutch pack clips.they fail often,redesigne for 2006-08 but still have some problems failing.the new ones only have a minor recall rear diff cover not holding enough oil.(need bigger diff cover with higher fill port)

#4 ·
maddog,
i bought my 2006 ram in 2009 and it had a little over 28000 miles on it. it came with the thunder road package. well from the begining i had issues with the rear end . when ever i took a turn and drove my driver side door would shake real bad and it was the result of the fluids in the rear end had to be changed and an addative had to be added to the new rear fluid. it took care of the shudder i call it for a little while . i then developed a leak where the drive shaft goes into the rear end seal . that was changed and fixed . i changed the rear fluid again at around 45000 miles because i noticed a slight shudder comming on again. i now have 58700 miles on my 2006 ram and a blown rear end. i spoke to the dealer and they expect the rebuilt rear end to come in on wendsday. i wonder if with this rebuilt rear end one they would correct the problems everyone seems to be having with these rear end?

#5 ·
is this problem just with 1500s or all ? my 04 qcab has made noise since about 35000mi after dealer rebuit rear end that was @ 95000mi . i replace fluid & additive regularly @ 161000mi i did axle bearings. & adjusted pinion but still makes noise .thank goodness no more leaks have 194000mi now.was thinking maybe 2500 rearend ? i got stock 17s so dont care if rear wheels a bit different. or should i just go get a ford 9in . hiss hiss lol . i bought my truck with 3mi on it and it leaked from 18000mi to 95000mi til dealer finaly got it fixed. 5 trips

#6 ·
I have had problems out of both dodges ive had. My 01 had a crazy moaning sound, found out it was the ring and pinion. My 03 has a pinion seal leak, hopefully its fixed now(fingers crossed). Other than that I have loved both trucks. Guess that in a couple years I'll by the 4th generation, which look badass. Hope they have the rearends fixed in those.

#7 ·
I knew a guy back in 2004 who had an 02 or 03 that had gone through like 3 rear ends. This was surprising to me, since I had a 74 Monaco (a car) at the time with a 9.25 that most likely had never had its axle fluid changed in 30 years and never a problem. At 115,000 miles I haven't had any issues yet.

#8 ·
as was mentioned above, the 2010 - 2011 differentials fill/inspection hole was too low, the AXLE Bearings were not getting enough lubrication & seizing up
the fix is to put a hole in the rear differential cover that is high enough to let oil flow into the axle tubes, they are not drilling your old cover, they are sending out a replacement cover
I would be surprised if they were not sending the original cover out to get to get a hole drilled into them, then a plastic or rubber plug is inserted into the covers

I don't see why they are not putting a threaded drain hole & a magnetic plug into them at the same time, must be a cost thing
this is a low cost cover that is a direct replacement, that is built the correct way, at least to my thinking

[/URL]

http://stores.hi-potek.com/-strse-2/Chrysler-Dodge-Mopar-/Detail.bok

#10 ·
your rear end is likely same as oem with oem corporate 9.25 lsd parts because its done by dealer.others have changed out to auburn or detroit.you need to keep on top of maintenance with 9.25 rear ends syn fluid change every 15-30k depending on wether your towing.other rears go 50-80k between changes with no problems.the 2500 used dana rears not corporate but they are 6 stud might look funny on back with 5 on front to answer other question up top.

#11 ·
2012 Ram rear end question

I can't post a new thread for some reason, so I hope this gets some views.

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 that has 56k miles on it. I bought it used with about 40k miles. My brother in law had a 2010 Ram 1500 that has almost the identical miles as mine. His rear end blew out a few weeks ago! The shop ( Ram dealer ) said that you need to replace the "oil" in the rear end every 20k miles, and that there is an additive that needs to be used in addition to the oil.
My questions are, do you really need to change the rear end oil that often? What is the correct oil to use? What is the additive?
I want to make sure I don't make any mistakes that could have easily been prevented. I love my truck and would be very unhappy if I messed something up. I do a lot of towing and that is supposedly of the harder things on the rear ends of these trucks. (I hear). I also have my truck lifted with oversized tires on, which undoubtedly puts extra strain on it as well.

Any help would be fantastic! If this should be moved or made into its own thread, go for it. Thanks in advance for the help!

#12 ·
I can't post a new thread for some reason, so I hope this gets some views.

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 that has 56k miles on it. I bought it used with about 40k miles. My brother in law had a 2010 Ram 1500 that has almost the identical miles as mine. His rear end blew out a few weeks ago! The shop ( Ram dealer ) said that you need to replace the "oil" in the rear end every 20k miles, and that there is an additive that needs to be used in addition to the oil.
My questions are, do you really need to change the rear end oil that often? What is the correct oil to use? What is the additive?
I want to make sure I don't make any mistakes that could have easily been prevented. I love my truck and would be very unhappy if I messed something up. I do a lot of towing and that is supposedly of the harder things on the rear ends of these trucks. (I hear). I also have my truck lifted with oversized tires on, which undoubtedly puts extra strain on it as well.

Any help would be fantastic! If this should be moved or made into its own thread, go for it. Thanks in advance for the help!
I ran my 08 for 120K before changing gear, tranny, and transfer case oils.

For the rear end I believe I used 75w90 (been a few years), I used Amsoil. http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/severe-gear-75w-90/ you also need to use an additive if you have a limited slip. Again, I used Amsoil. http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/slip-lock-gear-oil-additive/?code=ADATB-EA

BTW, if you have NP/NV transfer case that you are changing the oil in make sure you don't need the Mopar brand fluid. I ran into that on my 08 with the "Auto" setting and nothing else works, it's actually a rebranded GM type of oil.

Luke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.