DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 04 ram
Trim Level: Slt
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
42grand is on a distinguished road
Default Purchasing my first ram!

I am seriously contemplating the purchase of a higher mileage 04, 1500, quad cab, 4.7. What are some of the issues that yall have had, maybe something I should look out for or be ready for before or after the purchase? I want to be ready for the common things that may have or will possibly happen. I know this post is really vague but I want to see what others have experienced with their Rams. Pros or cons are appreciated. Thanks yall!
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

I'm not gonna poop on the 4.7, but I own 2 high milage hemis and they are outstanding motors. Bet if you look harder, you can find a hemi for similar money.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 05-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 04 ram
Trim Level: Slt
Color: White
42grand is on a distinguished road

I may or my not have the option to buy something other than this 4.7 in the time frame I have. What is your mpg with the hemi? I'm sure it will be less than the 4.7 but I do a lot of Highway driving and would like to see that comparison as well. Any other thoughts or suggestions about rams in general?
Old 05-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 2WD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:132
KelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enoughKelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb

I have an 02 4.7 that I got in January, as well as an 06 5.7L Hemi.
I absolutely love both trucks. The hemi is a Laramie, so it's almost unfair to compare it to the 4.7 ST that has almost no extras.

The 4.7, like any engine, requires regular maintenance and TLC. Something that wasn't told to the previous owner of my 4.7, evidently.
Check the oil on the 4.7 that you're looking at (and all the other fluids for that matter!). Mine was sludged up. (Regular oil changes will prevent/ slow that!)

( http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=171524
This contains some pics, a better summary of problems I had and recommendations that I received. )

Not sure how motor inclined you are, or where you're buying from.

If it's a backyard sale, ask if you can take it to a mechanic (preferably one that you trust not to give you BS), or even something like Advance Auto where they'll hook their code reader up and see if anything shows. If they say no, I would be nervous. Very nervous. Heck, I do the same thing when I go look at a vehicle at the dealer! Just see what they say, and if they're okay with it, do it. If they're not... JMHO, but I wouldn't be buying it. Also, if it's a dealer, ask if they offer a warranty! (The warranty on mine saved my rear end!)

I love my 4.7L-- 'Silver'-- and I'm happy with it, and will definitely be taking good care of him. Just wish the previous owner had done the same!

I'm getting 15.6-16.8 MPG on Silver (4.7) And at last check, the Hemi was getting 15.5 mpg, but that is on the lower end, I think. Both trucks are mostly highway.

Just remember that I don't go slow in my 4.7 and my MPG suffers (I need a bumper sticker that says "Drive it like you stole it"), it's more common for me to get closer to 15.6 ish mpg, though it is possible to get better!

Don't let my 'horror story' scare you away. There's tons of guys that have a 4.7L that they love. Another person on the Z to ask about the 4.7 is RogerRamJet (I'm sure that he's already welcomed you to the forum on your profile)!

Good luck!

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L V8 "The Beast"
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8 "Silver" Build thread
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8 Hemi

Last edited by KelseytheDodgeGirl; 05-14-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 2WD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:132
KelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enoughKelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enough

Just gonna add this, the Hemi just got filled up and the MPG was figured at 17.7 mpg. That was driving it nicely, not stepping on it hard or anything and averaging around 55-65 mph.
Hope this helps.

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L V8 "The Beast"
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8 "Silver" Build thread
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8 Hemi
Old 05-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Graphite Metallic
UpgradedHardware is on a distinguished road

I have a 2003 ram quad cab 4.7l with 64k miles and I love it. The only thing maintenance wise was I had to replace the leak detection pump (got a check engine light) but that was incredibly simple to do. Haven't had any other mechanical issues, but I've only had my truck for about 1500 miles.

Cracked dashboard is a common issue, and mine had a small crack when I got it and I somehow made it into a large crack. I think I went over a set of railroad tracks too fast or something. Just gonna put some mesh on it and glue it, then put a dashboard cover over it.

Oh forgot to mention, I think my blower door or something is broken. The air isn't being pushed out the vents as hard as I think it should be. When this semester is over I will have to make it a weekend project to open the dash and take a look at it. The air and a/c works fine, just doesn't blow nearly as hard as I think it should.

As far as mpg, I'm getting 10.5 all city driving (as my overhead console tells me..I need to do a manual calculation to know for sure)...which is the only thing I'm not happy about with this truck (I've been driving very lightly lately..if I step on the gas a lot my mpg will go to 9.5-10). Hopefully someone can give me advice to increase this number. For the city I would like to get at least 13 mpg, as it's advertised at.

Again, my truck only had 63000 miles on it when I bought it, and it had been sitting for a while before I bought it. I've only put around 1500 miles on it so far after owning it for a month. A higher mileage truck might have a lot more issues, it really depends on how the previous owner maintained it.

Last edited by UpgradedHardware; 05-14-2014 at 09:21 PM.