DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2013 Oil Type.............

9K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Irv 
#1 ·
I wanna check my oil later today and I'm pretty sure they use synthetic, but I just wanna be sure. So, what type of oil do 1500's use?

#2 ·
#3 ·
I highly doubt it is full synthetic, probably more of a semi, but it might not even be that?

What I want to know is, is the oil an actual "Break in" oil or is it just because it's the oil in use to break in the engine, it is referred to as "Break in" oil?

the oil they use at the dealership right now is actually Shell's Pennzoil® 5w-20 conventional and Shell Rotella® motor oil for Diesel engines, the most preferred brands in their respective categories
the can/bottle will not read SHELL, it will have a MOPAR label

Shell has the current contract with Chrysler, it has been Mobile One & other brands in the past

http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do;jsessionid=6A499CA7360581775BAE75262D654D41?&id=10790&mid=2

Pennzoil is great oil, it constantly receives great UOA's and VOA's at bob is the oil guy.com (bitog.com) from all kinds different motors and manufacturers.

I currently have 2, 5 litre jugs of of 5W-30 I'd like to use but I am leery because of the weight difference.

I doubt very much any harm could be done using it as opposed to the 5W-20, but I think I will wait until my motor has at least a few thousand miles on it first.

#5 ·
I highly doubt it is full synthetic, probably more of a semi, but it might not even be that?

What I want to know is, is the oil an actual "Break in" oil or is it just because it's the oil in use to break in the engine, it is referred to as "Break in" oil?

Pennzoil is great oil, it constantly receives great UOA's and VOA's at bob is the oil guy.com (bitog.com) from all kinds different motors and manufacturers.

I currently have 2, 5 litre jugs of of 5W-30 I'd like to use but I am leery because of the weight difference.

I doubt very much any harm could be done using it as opposed to the 5W-20, but I think I will wait until my motor has at least a few thousand miles on it first.
No on break-in oil they use regular weight, otherwise they would have to specify a shorter oil change interval for the first one.

#4 ·
I tend to drop my oil and filter right away on my new vehicles. I dropped this trucks oil at 250 Kilometers and switched to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w-20. The theory is you get rid of any manufacturing debris right away. I did the same with my old truck and it is still going strong. Probably a waste of time but I figure its cheap insurance.

I would not suggest running 5w-30, the oil will be too thick at operating temperature. My 2003 Hemi recommended 5w-30 but it didn't have any of the new features like MDS.

#11 ·
I tend to drop my oil and filter right away on my new vehicles. I dropped this trucks oil at 250 Kilometers and switched to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w-20. The theory is you get rid of any manufacturing debris right away. I did the same with my old truck and it is still going strong. Probably a waste of time but I figure its cheap insurance.

I would not suggest running 5w-30, the oil will be too thick at operating temperature. My 2003 Hemi recommended 5w-30 but it didn't have any of the new features like MDS.
I am the same way, or should say I was??
From what I have read, been told etc, I think I am going to leave mine in longer this go around?

I'm at just over 400km's and will likely change around 2000K, but my dealer said to leave until at least the 5000K mark.

No on break-in oil they use regular weight, otherwise they would have to specify a shorter oil change interval for the first one.
Didn't think so, but it is surprising how many people actually believe there is, and after what my dealer told me, I was starting to believe him that there was:LOL:

Leave the 5w-30 on the shelf for someone else
The 1500 HEMI has the MDS & it may light up a check engine light
look at your OWNERS Manual
Skip the 5w-30. It could cause problems and they may not be covered under warranty.
Advice taken. Going to try and return it and see if they will exchange it for some 5W-20, even if I have to pay a difference.

My original thought was the 5W-20 was only suggested/recommended due to the CAFE reg's, but even if it is, it is still not worth taking a chance on due to warranty issues should they arise?

#6 ·
Leave the 5w-30 on the shelf for someone else
The 1500 HEMI has the MDS & it may light up a check engine light
look at your OWNERS Manual

#7 ·
As far as I know there is no full conventional 5w20, but I doubt the dealer uses full synthetic when they keep offering coupons for $17.50 oil changes. I can't change the oil myself for that cheap.

#9 ·
It says that hemis are extra but they never charge me extra. I know how much I paid for it:bananalama:

#12 ·
I got a decent deal on Penzoil full synthetic 5w-20 and a K&N oil filter through advance a few weeks ago. The filter, 5 qt jug, (2) 1 quarts of oil and a small bottle of Lucas fuel treatment for 56 bucks if I remember correctly. Keep a close eye on the oil level in these Hemi's. I was running the dealer Penzoil dino. oil. After 4k miles, I was two quarts low. The engine responded really well to the Penzoil synthetic. Runs, idles smoother and less of the Hemi tick. I have always been a die hard Mobil 1 synthetic guy, but Mobil does not meet Ram's specifications for quality. That could lead to a potential warranty issue. On the other hand, I have proven to myself that you just can't kill an engine with Mobil syn. oil changed at 5k intervals.Several vehicles well over 100k. miles and none of them used oil or where ever touched internally.

#13 ·
I have never known these hemis to use oil between changes, and you are the first person I have heard of it from. Has anybody else experienced this?

Reactions: Grubrunner
#14 ·
I have not heard of excessive oil consumption with these motors either. My truck is currently at 5200 miles and the oil level is just a fraction below the full mark. I wonder if it has to do with the rings not seated properly.

#17 ·
5.7 hemis have always specd 5W20 . I've always used Penzoil Platinum available at Walmart in 5 qt jugs. If you want the best oil for a hemi, the Penzoil Ultra scores at the top of the heap, but Platinum or Mobil one are good choices. How do I know, I have almost 300,000 miles on my hemi RT Magnum. Mopar filter at Walmart as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.