DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Truck won't start, shift indicator won't go in park

68K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Tom2006 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT and it won't start. I came out and tried to start it but no joy. I looked at the transmission indicator and it is in reverse, I counted all the clicks and it is for sure in park. I tried to put it into neutral but it won't go there either, the indicator just skips right over it.

I have narrowed it down to the electrical indication portion of the problem. I read that these trucks have a trans range selector which tells the dash which gear it is in, I also read that the park neutral switch is built into this component. I tried to find this sensor but it is not on the steering column and it is not on the side of the trans case.

Can someone confirm where this sensor is located and if all my info is right? How hard is it to change this part? I heard you need to drop the trans pan and valve body, is this true?

Thanks
John

#11 ·
I am having a very similar problem with my 2006 dodge 2500 5.9L cummins.. It will go into all gears but it is very easy to change gears once in drive almost as if the electronic gear selector is going bad, or maybe even the linkage needs checked out, but i do have to roll it to put it in park, it will physically go into park but doesnt come up on the gear selector resulting in me not being able to turn my truck off nor start it if i turn it on in this position.. any ideas??

G
#5 ·
Same here, Dodge Durango

I am having the exact same problem with my Dodge Durango.
At first I thought the starter was going out or battery/alternator was bad, but then I realized it only happens when the computer is showing the car to be in reverse... If I can get the light to move over to show it is in park, it will start right up.

Did you have any luck resolving this issue?

I would really appreciate any help! Also tyring to get an idea what is going to take to fix it.

#8 ·
I have a 2014 RAM 3500. The shift lever locks in reverse and P thru D indicator lights turn yellow. When I turn the truck off then in will not start again until I manually release the shift lever into neutral. I can't get the truck to do this when I take it to my local RAM service so they do not know what to fix. What should I have them check to confirm the problem?

#7 ·
Hello,

I had the same problem with my truck except i was installing a new valve body and shift solenoid. I put everything together and found that when i turned my truck on and went to shift into reverse it started to act strange.

I took the valve body out and noticed the solenoid was in a different location than it was when i installed it. Talked to the local shop guy where I was doing the work on base and he told me to put it in the proper position and re-install everything.

Hooked everything back up and now it works like a champ.

#9 ·
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT and it won't start. I came out and tried to start it but no joy. I looked at the transmission indicator and it is in reverse, I counted all the clicks and it is for sure in park. I tried to put it into neutral but it won't go there either, the indicator just skips right over it.

I have narrowed it down to the electrical indication portion of the problem. I read that these trucks have a trans range selector which tells the dash which gear it is in, I also read that the park neutral switch is built into this component. I tried to find this sensor but it is not on the steering column and it is not on the side of the trans case.

Can someone confirm where this sensor is located and if all my info is right? How hard is it to change this part? I heard you need to drop the trans pan and valve body, is this true?

Thanks
John
I know this is extremely old but was this ever resolved ?? I have the same issue with my 2006 Ram with the HEMI Changed the Solenoid pack and the tipm no luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.