DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Engine starts then dies, starts then dies.

18K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  timothy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, this is my first post here, I am having trouble with my truck and would GREATLY appreciate any help.

I have an '03 4.7 which developed a misfire in 4 & 8. Long story short, I had 2 valves replaced and cam followers reattached, and now the engine starts and sounds great with no misfire or codes/CEL, but dies after a few seconds. It will start right back up, but will not stay running regardless of whether the accelerator is pressed. It has 47 psi at the rail, fuel pump turns on, ASD relay clicks, etc. It is acting like a VTSS security cutoff, but there are no security lights on and I have 2 keys and the fob. Also swapped around the relays and pulled/reset fuse 11 & 13, disconnected battery, bought new battery....

Out of ideas...and money! Does anyone have any insight? Hoping it's not a bad ECM.

#2 ·
Throttle position sensor? Dirty throttle body and/or other sensors?

How about stopping by our Newbie area and introducing yourself? :D

#3 ·
Oh ok sorry...I'm not much of a "forum posting guy" so I didn't know the protocol!

I thought of TPS and throttle body (as well as IAC valve) also, but since it won't stay running at all even when the gas is pressed, I didn't think it would be those. I will check them tomorrow morning though, thanks for the input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.