DODGE RAM FORUM banner

4x4 lowering

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  albinofury 
#1 ·
Ok I know there is alot of threads on lowering and 4wd, but in particular I cannot find a lowering kit for my truck ANYWHERE. I don't want people's opinions on lowering a 4x4 cuz its going to happen either way. I have checked mcgaughys called them they says they don't Carry a 4wd lowering kit. Ground force has a kit but it's only for Quad Cab, I have a Single cab SB 2006 ram 1500 hemi. A also I know you can cut coils but what about front coils on my 4x4? I'm lookin to achieve around a 2/4 drop. Thanks for all the help, also what ever happened to slammed1 I can't find a site or the guy (Brian) who runs the forums for slammed1.

#2 ·
Why would you lower a 4x4! Geez, are you crazy...... like me? Sorry, when I asked all the same questions those were the typical responses I got, so I didn't want to let you down.

McGaughy's says that their kit will not fit a 4x4, this is a lie. They say this because dropping the front puts the CV joints near their max articulation angle of 15 degrees when you hit a bump and the wheel maxes out it's upwards travel. The difference between the front springs of the 2wd and 4wd of any non-megacab size is.... nothing. There is a difference between cab styles, and that's simply spring rate. McG won't warranty thier kit if you put it on a 4wd, but that doesn't mean you can't do it. I only recommend you do the front springs, and not the spindles just because the spindles will max out the CV joints faster.

The rear is a simple flip, so it's the same regardless of 2wd or 4wd. Just make sure the rear diff gets aligned to the new driveshaft angle to keep your u-joint pinion angle proper; it's not extreme, but why put added wear on a part unnecessarily.

If there's anything you want to know, just ask

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.