DODGE RAM FORUM banner

I might be a sucker

3K views 40 replies 8 participants last post by  SS4Luck 
#1 ·
I bought a hid conversion from hidxenonheadlights.com and had them professionally installed. The night after I drove down the street and noticed that the lows are very dim and highs aren't much better. So the following day I called and talked to their customer service and they said I didn't receive a relay harness in my kit (which was supposed to be included), and that was gonna fix my problem. My Number 1 question, is this gonna fix my problems? Number 2 is am I gonna have to take this and pay for install again or can I simply slip it in to the kit without removing any major parts? I don't want this to turn into a headache because I already have 240 bucks invested into this damn thing.

#2 ·
I sincerely doubt that a relay harness will do anything for brightness. Usually relay harnesses are used to fix a flashing/strobing problem.

What wattage and temperature are the bulbs? Sometimes when people go to low of a temperature the light output is bad because they get yellowish

Do you have quad headlights or just duals?

#4 ·
That is weird... got any pictures of the lights and ballasts and the lights on themselves? I would lean toward defective parts but it would be impressive if you have 4 bad ballasts or bad bulbs... whats teh warrenty on the kit? Might be worth returning it and running a different company.

A good set of HID fogs will be more usable than a set of high beams. I used to run 55W 8000K hi's and since i went to a 55W 4300K fogs i dont need my hi beams anymore

#6 ·
That would have to be aimed WAY hi, like it would probably look funny just looking at the headlights. The light pattern would also be akward and even the outside beam pattern of HIDs would be noticably brighter than stock

#12 ·
That's only partially true.

HIDS are designed for a projector style headlight. Halogen assemblies refract hids in a blinding manor, hence why proper aiming is paramount. Its not illegal everywhere, only where local law enforcement has deemed it so by a supplemental law, which would be a general modification law on lighting.

His real problem falls under a low quality kit and or an installation issue.

#19 ·
#13 ·
The problem light comes on in my dash when I turn on my highs and goes off when I switch them to low beams. They are sending me some harness that connects to the battery and gives them power directly from the battery. That sounded like it might fix the problem. Maybe not but hopefully

#16 ·
I wish I could give you bottom line.

My headlight harness plugs into my hid harness and the plugs into that ballasts and bulbs. I'm more inclined to assume that's what your getting, and whoever installed your hids made up some kind of harness.

When you FIRST bought them, what all came with it?

#20 ·
Ok that was informative, but extremely outdated, back to 04 as the most current. Those last three were specific in that they could not advise " As a preliminary matter, we would clarify that we have no authority either to approve or disapprove motor vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment."

And the first email was about closing of a supplier, BUT does state 24 other companies that had EITHER recalls on equipment or termination of sales.

NOW in the interest of the OP, this is a thread about him getting help and not the legality of this issue. Please pm if you wish to discuss this further.

Sorry for the off topic bit RT RAM.

#22 ·
Lol, the law hasn't changed since it was enacted. That data isn't outdated.

OP, your problem is amperage. Typically cheap china crap ballasts will either ignite or they won't. The older ones however will ignite no matter what as long as voltage is applied, the ballast can't warm up though because the proper amount of current is not being applied.

Get a relay harness, and that should clear up your problem.

/thread

#21 ·
My HIDs are the last thing I will worry about on my truck as far as being illegal. Look up the fines for not running cats.

The way vehicle codes are written these days everything is illegal..

OP we need pics

#23 ·
one more bit of info that may help dianosis, when i first turn the lights on they are really bright for a fraction of a second, but then switch down to being dim. i do think the harness should fix my problem, just by thinking with common sense. direct power from battery will be higher and thus make the lights brighter. thanks for all the help guys!:smiley_thumbs_up:

#24 ·
That kinda sounds right because your bulb is warming up. When I had my hid's in my grand prix they change "colors". I don't know if this is correct terms was why i did that. Mine were 5000k bulbs with hi/lows. They would start out a blue and getting whiter.

#30 · (Edited)
So what? So is tint, and LED reverse lights, and underglow neon/LEDs. The list goes on... A lot of what people do to their trucks is illegal. Did you know that according to vehicle codes in most places, lifting/lowering your car/truck is illegal. Its also illegal to alter your brakes, unless they are DOT compliant. When was the last time you got pulled over and a cop looked for a DOT-approved stamp on your taillights or headlights, or your brake calipers? The only way a cop on the side of the road is going to know your HID's arent factory is if you tell him, ESPECIALLY because there is the sticker on the inside of every 3rd and 4th gen Ram Driver's door that says: "This vehicle may have options installed that contain Mercury. Proper disposal is required. These items include:

-LCD Displays
-H.I.D. Headlamps
-Chrome Trim"

Just because its illegal doesn't mean there is a good reason for it. Its illegal to spit on the sidewalk in NYC too, but people do it all the time.

#33 ·
There's nothing army logc about that, that is common gear head logic.

I like HIDs so I run them, I like the way exhausts song cat less with long tubes, so gues what? I have long tubes and no cats. I like the way cams sound, so I cammed my car. I like horsepower, so I ran turbos and nitrous on my street car...all illegal and never once been in the military. Mickey Thompson ET streets also push the limit legal wise a far as tread depth, run those too.

If I was worried about legal I would drive a prius, the only mod those have are strut tower braces (seriously I've looked it up lol)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.