DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Have you experienced the torque converter problem?

• Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed.

Votes: 191 30.5%
  • No, I have not noticed this problem.

Votes: 313 50.0%
  • I can't determine for sure if I have this problem.

Votes: 122 19.5%

Torque Converter Poll

130K views 453 replies 198 participants last post by  freezer16801 
#1 ·
If you have a 4th gen Ram (2009-present) and either have or have not had an issue with the reported grinding noise, please vote in the poll. My intent is to see how widespread this issue is among forum members.

As for me, I can tell for sure because my Magnaflow cat back exhaust upgrade is the dominant noise I hear (when my radio is not blaring). So I am having a hard time determining if I have this issue.

#369 ·
Likely they didnt do a dammmmm thing to your truck.
But i`ll bet they charged it off to chrysler though.
You`d be surprised what dealers will try to pull.

I worked over 35yrs as a wrench in dealerships,
i wish i had a dollar for everytime i saw dishonesty, i`d be the richest guy in the world.

#367 ·
Well, it looks like I have it now. Was at the dealer today for an oil change and tire rotation. Mentioned it to the service manager. When I brought up the fact I knew there was a star case open, he seemed a little irritated. Regardless, I have an appt. for Monday to have it checked out. More to come.

#370 ·
Took my truck in this morning. Told them I had a hard downshift and a noise that might be related to the TC. For the harsh downshift, they flashed the PCM (181906P1 Module, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Reprogram) and that problem appears to be gone.

They could not replicate the TC noise but completed RRT 11-073 1819 (18190796 Module, Drivetrain Control (DTCM) - Reprogram). They thought this might correct the issue and asked me to drive it for a few days and let them know if it did not make the noise go away. So far, I have not heard the noise but I did not drive it much this afternoon. Will listen closely this week to see if it is indeed gone.

The dealer was very nice about it and told me to bring the truck back if the noise was not gone. Hopefully that won't be necessary.

#371 ·
Heard the noise this morning so apparently the RRT for the drivetrain did not help. But at least they tried. Looks like it will be going back to the dealer.

#372 · (Edited)
Hi All, figured I'd weigh in on my experience with this. In May I traded in my 2002 Ram 1500 that had given me 11+ years of great service for a 2010 Big Horn Hemi. Due to the great summer up here in the northeast, I spent most of my time on two wheels. On the times that I did drive the truck and on a trip to Cincinnati, I noticed what seemed to sound like a rattling at certain speeds/RPM's, and also when under load (heard it while I was hauling a cord of firewood). It sounded like a loose heat shield or some kind of pre ignition (knocking/pinging) coming from the rear.

A few days later while I was at the dealer for the leaking third brake light seal, I figured I would ask the service writer (not the one I usually have dealt with the past 10 years) about the noise and he said they would have a tech drive with me. Well we were barely out of the lot when he told me it was a normal noise coming from MDS mode and nothing could be done. The writer also said he had a 4th generation Ram with the same noise.

Not satisfied that the irritating noise was "normal", I went to work on the forum here and found the Star Case for the TC. It listed exactly what I was experiencing. I printed out a copy and called the tech writer I normally deal with and told him about the Star Case and he said to come in at my convenience and we would test ride with a transmission tech. I did and the tranny guy heard the noise and ordered the TC which was put in yesterday. I'm happy to say that I noticed immediately that the noise was gone. I drove it a good hour and tried all the methods that caused it before but it's not there. What a relief to have that Ram ride back.

I just wanted to say thanks to all who post here with info like the Star Case. I believe having that in hand made getting the problem fixed that much easier.

#373 ·
courtesy dodge in brandon Fl said trans was normal

I had my 2011 Dodge Ram for 11 months .It was at Courtesy Dodge in Brandon for two days they said nothing was wrong with the transmission .I drove the truck down the street and traded it in on a new Frontier. That was the worste customer service I ever seen ,I took a giant loss trading in a year on truck that I replaced wheels,grill, lower suspension,added bed cover, It was the first and last Dodge thatI will ever buy.

Joe R

#380 ·
I had my 2011 Dodge Ram for 11 months .It was at Courtesy Dodge in Brandon for two days they said nothing was wrong with the transmission .I drove the truck down the street and traded it in on a new Frontier. That was the worste customer service I ever seen ,I took a giant loss trading in a year on truck that I replaced wheels,grill, lower suspension,added bed cover, It was the first and last Dodge thatI will ever buy.

Joe R
Sweet....welcome

#374 ·
So you traded it in because one dealer didn't know what they were doing? That makes no sense. Should've gone to another dealer

#375 ·
I also have the torque converter issue, but it didnt come about until I upgraded my torque converter to a circle d 3000-3200 stall. once upgraded there was a grinding like noise, more or less like a really loud locust sounding noise coming from my transmission.

Also after changing the torque converter I have trouble reaching the stall from a dead stop at wide open throttle, and while braking and giving it throttle at the same time. It is almost like the computer doesnt like the high stall and will not allow it to reach the stall unless I am already moving.

I am not sure how to fix either problem, but would be interested in figuring out a solution for both problems. If anyone knows how to fix the higher stall issue I think i can live with the locust like noise.

#376 ·
Your issues have nothing to do with the factory issue. Yours is due to something being wrong with your aftermarket one. Contact circle d and they should get it figured out

#386 ·
I would like some more advice if you don't mind. With the current TC it stalls from 3000-3200, but in first gear from a dead stop with WOT, it jumps to 2500 rpms, bouncing there refusing to go to the new stall. I also tried WOT no brake from a dead stop, it also jumps to 2500 rpms bouncing until my truck reaches a certain speed, then jumps up to the new stall and takes off like its supposed to.

With this issue I'm not sure what I can do to help my problem, I'm not sure I can get this issue tuned out, or just change the stall. In your opinion what would you reccomend? Look for someone to adjust the parameters, or change the stall? I can get a 2500-2700 stall, and a 2800-3000 stall. I'm looking for the best, and also safest choice, I'm really frustrated with what is currently happening and would really appreciate your advice.

#387 ·
I'd recommend using the lowest stall speed (as close to stock) as you can get. The stock converter stall speed is about 2300 RPM.

I think your problem (which gives you the "bouncing") is the PCM trying to control the trans input torque. As engine RPM increases, so does the engine torque. But more importantly, the stall torque required increases with the square of the engine RPM. That is, the engine torque that's required (to spin the converter when the output is stopped [stalled]) goes up with the square of the engine RPM.

For example, let's suppose that at your normal (stock) stall speed of 2300 RPM, the engine torque is 340 ft-lbs, and the turbine torque (converter output) is 640 ft-lbs. Now let's also suppose that the PCM wants to keep the trans input torque (at stall) below 620 ft-lbs. So it cuts back the engine torque to 329 ft-lbs. That's a reduction of 3.2%.

But suppose your converter has a stall speed of 3200 RPM. As the PCM sees the engine speed rise (above 2300), it recalculates the trans input torque. At 2400 RPM, it would take about 370 ft-lbs of engine torque, which would give 696 ft-lbs of trans input torque. So at 2400 RPM, the PCM would be telling the engine to cut back its torque by 11%. At 2800 RPM, the stall torque (engine torque) required would be 500 ft-lbs, giving 941 ft-lbs of trans input, requiring a 34% torque reduction. And at 3200 RPM, stall torque required would be 655 ft-lbs, giving 1233 ft-lbs of trans input, requiring a 50% torque reduction!

So I think what's happening is.... your engine speed is going above the normal stall speed, which causes the PCM to drastically cut back the engine torque, which causes the engine speed to fall, which causes the torque to drop, which causes the PCM to allow less torque reduction, which causes the engine speed to rise, which causes the PCM to crank the torque management back up, etc., etc.

Now your converter (with higher stall speed) has different characteristics than the stock converter, but the PCM thinks it has a stock converter, so it calculates excessive torque management requirements, which gives you the odd behavior. So I think the closer you get to a stock converter (stall speed) the better off you'll be.

#390 ·
My truck just went back in yesterday for Converter #3. It is a 2011 Big Horn Crew 4x4. Had the noise develop at around 18k miles, then had the factory converter replaced with a remanned one under warranty. It then had a shudder on the highway whenever throttle was first applied after coasting. Felt like driving over rumble strips. It went back yesterday after talking with my service manager last week he agreed to order a NEW converter this time.

This would have been a total nightmare, but my dealer has been terrific about listening to me and not being so quick to discount my opinions. The first time they diagnosed the shudder, they found it to be normal, but that was AFTER they kept it a week for diagnosis, put it on a dyno, and a MOTUS System, then did a drivability software update. After the update, the shudder was MUCH more pronounced and they were able to finally pinpoint the cause.

It would appear the Remanufactured converters (Part #R8051146AB) are bad news...but I will reserve judgement and update here when I get my truck back later this week.

#424 · (Edited)
Armyofone, I had the same issue with the reman coverter, so they finally replaced the converter with supposedly a new one, the shudder came back quick, but not as bad as the reman was, this is frustrating! Especially on a brand new vehicle (3 years ago bought new). I brought in the post that you had of "Dealers are wasting to much time in replacing the converters with reman, to install the new one" I had that done and the shudder is back, but not as severe, I don't want to get rid of this truck, but this transmission is Junk! I had a 2007 prior to this 2011, and it never, ever had noise issue, shudder, abosolutely nothing wrong with it, othe than the slight bump, (kick from behind) when come to a full stop. The 2011 did the same thing, until after the new 3rd torque converter was installed, but the shudder is annoying. It sounds more of a programming issue, or maybe the lock up solenoid acting up, but it acts on occasion, when not expected. Hopefully Tran Engineer has an answer for it, maybe there is a TSB for it? I don't know? I thinking of getting rid of this unit, especially key FOBIK works when it wants too, torque converter shudder, Hemi engine clatter (which is supposedely normal), headlamps flicker (ever so slightly, but I notice it, and it is normal also). You pay so much for a vehicle, and then you just have to suck it up I guess. Just like Ford and there numerous issue I hear of with the F-150's transmission, ecoboost engine, electric steering issues (rack replacement), electrical issues, seems like all makes are the same. It sucks!

#391 ·
Ok folks, good news all around. First, I got a call at around 130pm today saying that my Ram was ready.

My service manager assured me that he drove it himself at highway speeds and the problem was indeed fixed. I took the rental back to enterprise, got a ride up to Tacoma Dodge, and had a chat with Steve M, my service manager. While we were talking, Steve got an email from STAR:

Dealerships are wasting too much labor time and money replacing converters on 2009 and up Ram 1500's. We are issuing a mandate that all service departments order Part # RL051146AB instead of Part #R8051146AB when replacing converters on any Ram 1500 made between 1 September 2008 and 1 September 2011. The re-manufactured converters have an internal flaw that occurs in the rebuilding process. As such it is mandatory that all converters that are replaced in the year range specified be replaced with all-new parts using the part numbers provided. Any model year 2012 and higher Ram 1500's have a different converter and therefore should be unaffected.

This is to ensure the satisfaction of the customer, the quality of our products and the reputation of dealer service departments. It just works out better all around for everyone. We are working very closely with the powers-that-be right now to issue a TSB regarding this matter, So be sure to look for it in the coming weeks. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mike XXXXXXX
-Director Dealer/Service Relations.

So, there you have it folks. :)

#395 ·
OMG, I'm not crazy! I think I might have this TC issue as well on my 2009. I notice at some rpms and speeds it feels like a small grinding hum coming through the gas pedal. I always thought it to be odd, it's not very pronounced, but I feel it through the throttle. Maybe I'm just paranoid...??

#396 ·
After a year of going back and forth with the dealership i got mine replaced last week. The Dealership has always been good to me and has fixed anything i bring up to them. The typical fix was computer updates which seemed to help for a little bit until I was able to bring them a copy of the Star Case. It took a few days and the tech called me asking for a few extra days. They ended up doing a full rebuild of my trans due to the amount of metal shavings found. Now it works great, sounds great. I have noticed my mileage has gone down a little bit and I get the shimmy every once in a while.

#397 ·
Well I'm having to take my 2007 back to the shop for the 3rd time now for the tranny. I do zero towing and don't drive like an idiot lol. The first time I was told it was the seals (when this happened it started by loosing the highest gear and it went down from there) I had to take it to Chrysler because the local dodge dealer gave me the run around about this! Now keep in mind when I purchased my RAM this is when they were offering the "lifetime" Powertrain warrantee. The second time this happened it was due to the same issue "seals" so I decided to try and take it to Dodge again, well my reluctance was right it began by the service advisor #1 trying to tell me unless I showed receipts for the fluid change I would be responsible. Well she didn't even know the correct interval! #2 the had it for over a month thank goodness I have my 41 panel van to drive. A few weeks ago I took my truck to Chrysler to get the oil changed and they were like "it's a good thing you came in" your "mandatory 5 year inspection is almost over due" well I later found out this inspection they tell you about when you buy the truck new is never mentioned at any other service appointment at all. Oh and if you don't get this inspection your "lifetime powertrain warrantee " is then VOID! I was like cool, well here is the kicker, I was told by their service department my truck failed the inspection because I had 4 wheel parts install a Mag Hightech tranny pan and rear diff cover. I then called the customer service number and was told I had changed the "specs" of the components and I was like ah no I changed the capacities! Instead of fighting with the moron on the phone I contacted mag Hightech and told them what was going on, they were like oh hell no lol, they put me in touch with the west coast tech rep for dodge and I sent him an email he asked for my vin and we shall see what happens later this week. After reading a few posts here I'm suspecting its a TC failure since they most likely used the remanufactured part vs the new one. Wish me luck hopefully this time it will last longer I doubt it but we shall see!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.