DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Have you experienced the torque converter problem?

• Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed.

Votes: 191 30.5%
  • No, I have not noticed this problem.

Votes: 313 50.0%
  • I can't determine for sure if I have this problem.

Votes: 122 19.5%

Torque Converter Poll

130K views 453 replies 198 participants last post by  freezer16801 
#1 ·
If you have a 4th gen Ram (2009-present) and either have or have not had an issue with the reported grinding noise, please vote in the poll. My intent is to see how widespread this issue is among forum members.

As for me, I can tell for sure because my Magnaflow cat back exhaust upgrade is the dominant noise I hear (when my radio is not blaring). So I am having a hard time determining if I have this issue.

#401 ·
Not on the R/T

I didn't noticed anything yet, at 4400km, not sure I've drove it easy enough yet. She's still in storage for at least another month thanks to north Atlantic winters (trucks a hand full in the rain, let alone the snow). Soon as I break her out I will do the test and let you know.

#403 · (Edited)
My 2011 Hemi Sport has the noise for over a year but I haven't brought it in yet.
VIN ends in CTXBS646065

Is the noise bad for the transmission? In other words, am I grinding metal and slowly distributing it throughout the entire transmission, or is somehow this noise not causing wear of any kind? Even if I get the latest TC, am I looking at my trans dying an earlier death a year or so after warranty?

On edit- I see in post#85 that TransEngineer stated that it is not a durability issue. Good to know.

#404 ·
Just voted. I brought my 2011 in today, armed with the printed out Star Case and a few posts from TransEngineer. (Over the phone, the service manager claimed never to have heard of this issue nor to have swapped even one of them, so I was skeptical it would go easily) Mechanic jumped in, and I drove and was able to reproduce the noise so he could hear it. He was blown away that I knew of and had the Star Case and immediately agreed that it described the symptoms and fix. I told him about this board and he never heard of it or of any customer knowing what I knew... Lol. Anyway, Service ordered the new TC and I go back in next week for the R&R. I'll post up my results after that.

#409 ·
Well, brought it in Monday and got it back Tuesday (today). Not only is the noise gone, but with the drivetrain reflash I like how the truck shifts much better now. Mine used to short-shift somewhat, and that has improved significantly.
Even my Bluetooth sound quality is improved due to some other reflashes they performed. A good experience.

#405 ·
Holy S%$T

Talk about scare the hell out of a potential RAM buyer. I am looking at a 2010 Big horn with 25000 miles on it and almost ready to write check until I read this thread. Is there any way I can run the VIN and see if its been fixed or should I just test drive it again and listen. Do the 2010's even have this problem? I saw alot of 2011 and 2012s with the same complaint and Ive been looking at those as well. Maybe I should start looking at FORDS

#406 ·
new member - same issue

I just bought a used 2011 Ram 1500 ST Crew Cab THIS WEEK with 32,000 miles. Mine situation is similar to others' situations. The sound/vibration happens during gradual accelaration at between 35 and 40mph and disappears somewhere between 40 and 45. The sound isn't very loud, but it is annoying. I also feel a vibration in the gas pedal at the same time I hear the sound. I didn't notice the sound and vibration when I took the test drive, but I noticed it a day or so later while driving alone with the radio off. After a little bit of internet searching I found this forum and this thread. I bought the truck from a Toyota dealer, but I am going to take the truck to the Dodge dealer nearby for them to take a look. I hope I don't have a hard time with the dealer.

#411 ·
I just bought a used 2011 Ram 1500 ST Crew Cab THIS WEEK with 32,000 miles. Mine situation is similar to others' situations. The sound/vibration happens during gradual accelaration at between 35 and 40mph and disappears somewhere between 40 and 45. The sound isn't very loud, but it is annoying. I also feel a vibration in the gas pedal at the same time I hear the sound. I didn't notice the sound and vibration when I took the test drive, but I noticed it a day or so later while driving alone with the radio off. After a little bit of internet searching I found this forum and this thread. I bought the truck from a Toyota dealer, but I am going to take the truck to the Dodge dealer nearby for them to take a look. I hope I don't have a hard time with the dealer.
Local dealer replaced the Torque Converter today (covered under warranty). I've only driven it about 3 miles so far, but I think it's good now! Also got my step bars today, so I have a project for tonight

#414 ·
Did this thread die out?

I do also have the noise but I'm hesitant to do anything about it. Honestly I didn't even realize it until I was brain washed to listen for it.

I have an appointment tomorrow to have it looked at but in all honesty I don't know if I want someone ripping apart my truck for an issue that doesn't affect durability.

anyone who had their TC replaced who's put some decent miles on since have any input further input?

#415 ·
So I had an appointment today to have mine listened to.

I basically told the technician that if they were going to replace it with a R8 TC then I'd just live with the noise. He took it for a drive and came back and said it definitely needs a new TC.

He told the service manager to specifically make sure it was the RL product as there have been previous issues with the reman R8 TC. They ordered one up and will be here next week.

It was awesome having all this information through 42 pages to go in with. The service manager told me the RL was a "new reman" and I told him that didn't make any sense. I told him what TransEngineer said about it being new but with a reman product number to force dealers to return the old TC as a core. He said no its a reman because it has a reman number and I just quit arguing with him.

Either way I'm happy so far I'm getting the latest replacement that seems to have the best opportunity to kill the noise so I'm optimistic.

#417 ·
Mine was replaced at 28k. I am now at 42k and no noise, problems or anything. I barely know my truck has a transmission its shifts are so smooth and quiet. Its transitions from throttle to coasting (engaging and disengaging the converter repeatedly) are seamless. That is where i used to get the rumble strip effect.

#418 ·
My truck went into the dealer last night with 61,362 miles and it was diagnosed to have a bad TQ and is being replaced this week. This problem started at 43k and the dealer in Florida did a re program on the computer, I was told to run it and see what happen (feeling like a $20k guinea pig), problem got worse so I brought it to dealer here in Nashville where they just changed the engine oil, charged me $147 for the oil change and $99 diag fee then told me all is good.... I called customer care and Jerrod (Awesome guy) told me to take it to this other dealer where it was dropped off last night and 2 hours later got the call that the TQ was coming apart and is a warranty issue and will be back to me Friday at the latest. Tried to sell me the $800 60K mile service, which I wasn't interested in, and am waiting to see how it goes.
I am very happy with the truck and do plan to keep it for quite a while. I am interested in info on doing a Hemi swap later, if it can be done....

#419 ·
My truck went into the dealer last night with 61,362 miles and it was diagnosed to have a bad TQ and is being replaced this week. This problem started at 43k and the dealer in Florida did a re program on the computer, I was told to run it and see what happen (feeling like a $20k guinea pig), problem got worse so I brought it to dealer here in Nashville where they just changed the engine oil, charged me $147 for the oil change and $99 diag fee then told me all is good.... I called customer care and Jerrod (Awesome guy) told me to take it to this other dealer where it was dropped off last night and 2 hours later got the call that the TQ was coming apart and is a warranty issue and will be back to me Friday at the latest. Tried to sell me the $800 60K mile service, which I wasn't interested in, and am waiting to see how it goes.
I am very happy with the truck and do plan to keep it for quite a while. I am interested in info on doing a Hemi swap later, if it can be done....
Customer care is refunding me the $99 fee the prior dealer charged...I was impressed that Ram is going to do the right thing with me.

#420 ·
Add another torque converter to the replacement pile. Bought my truck with 29k on it, it now has 30k and I knew about this problem when I bought the truck. Spent the first 6 weeks or so driving it around and noticed I had this problem. Some days it's worse than others. Took it in, told them what was wrong with it and they didn't listen to me. A wasted day later, they tell me no-repro on the issue. I told them I'd like to schedule a tech to ride with me. It took about 20 min to repro due to all the other road noise and traffic covering up the sound, but once I pulled this thread and the STAR case number and notes out, the tech knew better what to listen for and voila...new TC ordered and waiting for the parts.

Thanks to everyone on this thread!

#422 ·
Well, I have had my truck for 2 1/2 years now and they finally replaced the torque converter. After telling them every time I went in for service and hearing them say, "We don't hear it," they finally heard it. Hate that it took so long but glad that it is done.

#426 ·
I don't have the grinding noise, however, I have the bullydog hemi plus tuner, it tells me when the tc locks and unlocks, I don't know much about the converter, but even in the city, a low 4th gear it will lock if I'm steady on the gas at 60 km/h and the slightest change in the gas pedal and it unlocks. Is this normal?

#427 ·
yes, the converter locks and unlocks with changes in fluid pressure. Must be that speed is right at the point where there is enough fluid pressure to lock it or unlock it in relation to the position of the pedal. Just fyi, trans fluid pressure increases or decreases with engine RPM. The faster your engine RPM, the more pressure is needed to keep things from slipping.

#428 ·
Actually, the TCC state is commanded directly by the TCM/PCM. In the unlocked state, pressure is fed into the FRONT of the converter to disengage the TCC. In partial (or full) lockup, the fluid flow direction is reversed (due to the PCM activating a solenoid, which moves a valve), which engages the TCC.

Once the TCC is engaged, the pressure level (which is also controlled by the PCM) determines the torque capacity, and therefore the amount of slip (if any).

So if your TCC is changing states (or level of slip), that is being commanded directly by the PCM, and is typically in response to changes in throttle position (torque) or speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.