DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Have you experienced the torque converter problem?

• Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed.

Votes: 191 30.5%
  • No, I have not noticed this problem.

Votes: 313 50.0%
  • I can't determine for sure if I have this problem.

Votes: 122 19.5%

Torque Converter Poll

130K views 453 replies 198 participants last post by  freezer16801 
#1 ·
If you have a 4th gen Ram (2009-present) and either have or have not had an issue with the reported grinding noise, please vote in the poll. My intent is to see how widespread this issue is among forum members.

As for me, I can tell for sure because my Magnaflow cat back exhaust upgrade is the dominant noise I hear (when my radio is not blaring). So I am having a hard time determining if I have this issue.

#119 ·
At the present time i am happier than a pig in a pile....
I just picked up my truck at the dealer and the noise is completely gone.
They even had to remove the front pump assembly to inspect for debris from the torque convertor apparently if the convertor is left to long it will actually destroy the transmission.

#122 ·
Does anyone have a link for the starcase that I can print. I am going to take my truck in for this noise as I am now hearing it in drive at 55 mph. It seems once I became aware of the noise I am hearing it much more and it is pissing me off.

#123 ·
x2 I'm thinking I've been hearing this all vibration all along around 1700-2000 rpm's. Initially I was thinking my tires or balance was that mild vibration, but I've been watching it closely lately and feeling that vibration consistently at that rpm. Feeling it in the steering wheel, and the gas pedal the most. Most noticeable around 62 and above....only 900 miles on this brand new truck. Chrysler if your reading this....pay attention..... :smiledown:

#127 ·
Dealers do not make a lot of money for warranty issues. They would rather have a hoist tied up for a cash paying customer.

My advise to you is have the STAR case document and call Chrysler Customer Care and open a case with them. Voice your complaint that your dealer has been uncooperative with this issue.

Taking the truck to another dealership is an option as well.

#129 ·
Thanks for posting that Brown Dog. I am sure it will be helpful to those reading this for the first time.

#130 ·
Looks like we need to change my answer to yes. My issue came in around 1600 miles out of nowhere and stayed with me after that. I went to the dealer today and they were helpful overall and ordered my TC for me and will be repairing it once the part comes in.

It was prominent in Tow/Haul at around 35-50 mph and slightly higher speeds in normal mode. Not particularly loud but definitely a different noise than the truck normally makes on acceleration. Mine sounded somewhat like an engine that was being lugged down.

The tech at my dealership was somewhat confused as to how I'd gotten my hands on the star case ;). He said that even they need a special login to access those documents and that they're plastered with confidentiality statements.

I'll update again once fixed :)

#131 ·
I gave my dealer the SC #, and they still did'nt feel the need to "start changing parts" unquote.
I'll may call Chrysler costumer cares (good advice) and see what they can do.
I'm kinda hoping by spring Chrysler will admit there's a problem and put out a service bulletin.

#133 ·
It's very obvious your dealer has no desire to help you out on this issue.

I would definitely call Chrysler Customer Care and open a case with them. Believe me, CCC will not like to hear that your dealership has been uncooperative in regard to this issue. I wouldn't wait to do this, I would do it ASAP.

#136 ·
Mine goes in Monday. I had no issues with my dealer. I printed the star case as well as 10 or so pages from this thread and a few others regarding the issue, brought them in, the technician and I went for a drive, and not more than a few minuted later they ordered up a new TC for me. I'll report back after they replace it. I'm Looking forward to the noise being gone, and hopefully this will cure the nasty gas pedal vibrations I've had since I bought it a few months ago. I will be so happy because I love this truck!

#137 ·
Over 200 votes and almost 10,000 views on this thread so far. Man, it's nice to have a forum like this where we can share information and learn from the real world experiences of other members. Just want to say thanks to the forum owners and moderators who keep this going. Also a special thanks to all of the forum members who contribute. Nice work everyone.

#140 ·
I had a great dealer experience today. After reading about the torque converter problems, I thought that I had the problem because I hear a howling noise, grinding noise at approximately at 1400 rpm and 50 mph. Anyway, the tech took my truck for a drive and heard the noise. He then came back and got another service tech that has an ’11 outdoorsman that also has the noise. He heard the same noise in my truck. They then came back again and got their transmission tech and he heard the noise.

Here is the best part, they thought it was the torque converter and had a copy of the star report. They were more than eager to replace the converter on my truck. Since my truck only has 3000 miles on it, I am nervous about opening up the transmission. The tech that has the outdoorsman with the noise said that he would be the “guinea pig” and have his torque converter replaced. He said that he would call me when his is replaced and let me know if it fixed the problem.

Much different response from where I bought my truck. Sometimes it pays to go to a different dealership.

#141 ·
Mine is in as I type. I miss not seeing her in the garage when I go out for a smoke and admire my baby!! Will get it back tomorrow by 11 am. My truck has 1800 miles on it and I only hear it in the tow/haul mode, especially when pulling a small load (snowmobile trailer and two sleds)

Here is a point of interest: When I took it in and had the SM take a ride with me, he heard it and said it was the TC. Now the interesting part: He said they were also going to replace the pump on the front of the TC? Never heard of such a thing, so you guys and gals may want to inquire about the pump as well. He also said it needed two "flashes" one for the o2 sensor and couldn't tell me off hand what the other one was. Will update this tomorrow after I receive my truck with more info gathered from the SM.

#142 ·
Boy, this SM must have ESP or something! He can tell that your pump is bad by just riding in the truck with you? Sorry, but I don't think I'd buy that. A bad pump will typically cause line pressure issues, but you noted no fault codes (like P0868 Line Pressure Low) and never said that he checked the line pressure readings with a scan tool. I don't understand how he could think your pump was "bad" without checking these things.

It's probably too late now, but I would avoid having your pump replaced unless there is a definite problem. The converter noise issue is NOT a pump problem!! It is caused by excessive backlash in the turbine hub spline (inside the converter). It has nothing to do with the pump!

It is very easy (when replacing the pump by itself) to allow the input clutch thrust bearings (which are inside the next big "chunk" of parts behind the pump) to fall out of position. If this happens, you will have a complete transmission failure, generally 300-600 miles after the pump replacement. Unfortunately, this is one of the most common misrepairs we see in these transmissions.

So for the rest of you (with the converter noise), I'd recommend that you replace only the converter, unless there is an obvious issue with the pump. Replacing the pump "just to be safe" is actually a LOT riskier than just leaving it alone.

#143 ·
Got mine back yesterday. Had a good long ride today and the noise is gone. I still have a vibration at low rpm with the MDS on though. I was hoping it would cure both the problems. Happy about the noise though and the dealership was great. No problem getting them to do this and they have done several already.
Now on to the vibration.

#145 ·
Well when i had my torque convertor replaced 2 weeks ago my pump was removed and checked for debris as per the Chrysler tech Hotline, They told my dealership that they have had a few people with this noise that had there torque convertors replaced and then a couple weeks later come back with tranny problems and they found that there was debris inside the pump from the previous torque convertor. My dealership was given specific instructions to remove the pump inspect the pistons and check for debris if all was good do not replace if it was dirty then replace it.

#146 ·
Well, I got my truck back and the reason they installed a new pump is that was what the suggestion of the star report stated. The two flashes it need were unrelated to the tranny. One was for a service light for the 4x4, and the other was an ignition issue with along with the remote transmitter.

The noise is gone, but I haven't had a chance to drive it hard to see if the shift points are any better. I didn't have a problem with them before, nor did I have any vibrations in the wheel or pedals. My only issue was the noise at about 1400 rpms and up to maybe 1600 rpms in the tow/haul mode with lesser noise at those same rpms with the tow/haul mode off.

#147 ·
It looks like I have the torque converter issue. I get a vibration coming from the Drive train around 40-50 mph. Really noticeable when you let off the gas and feather the throttle at those speeds. I've got an appointment at Lasher Elk Grove tomorrow morning. I'm hoping that don't try to feed me a line of crap like that's normal. It's definitely worse since I've put some miles on it.

#148 ·
Update i had mine fixed last wed droped it off picked it up less than 24 hrs later it was fixed. Noise gone everything is good.I was hearing mine(Growl/howl and grinding from 40mph to 53.This problem was not due to doggin the truck i drive that thing like a baby. They know about this problem took the tech for a test drive he heard it and that was it i also took this to help he even asked for a copy so it would be easier for him to explain to chrysler

Star Case: S1121000005

Release Date: 6/30/11

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Customer indicates that the vehicle has a slight moan, drone, or rattle noise and sounds as though it is coming from the exhaust, The customer may indicate that the noise occurs under light load (1400 - 1700 engine rpm - around 40 to 60 mph)

Diagnosis:
Confirm that the noise only occurs while the torque converter is in lock-up at low speeds (around 1400 - 1700 engine RPM) at approximately 45 mph. If the noise is heard while transmission is in partial lock-up at 1400 - 1700 RPM, put the vehicle into ERS - Tow/Haul mode (deactivates MDS and torque converter in full lock-up) If the noise is unchanged, perform the following repair procedure. If the noise goes away in ERS mode, further diagnosis is required. If the noise occurs above 1700 RPM or below 1400 RPM, further diagnosis is required.

Parts Required:
AR (1) RL051167AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2009 - 2011 2WD DS R/T Only)

AR (1) RL051146AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2009 4.7L WK/WH/W2/XK/XH,
2009 5.7L DS/DC/DH/D1/HB/HG/WK/WH/W2/XK
2010 5.7L DS/DD/DJ/DX/WK/WH/XK/XH
2011 5.7L DS/DD/DJ/D2 Only)

AR (1) RL0512241AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2008 4.7L 2WD ND/HB/HG/DR/WK/WH/XK/XH
2008 4.7L 4WD WK/WH/XK/XH
2008 5.7L 2WD/4WD DR/HB/HG/WK/WH/XK/XH
2009 4.7L 2WD ND/HB/HG/DS
2010 4.7L 2WD ND/DS/DX
2011 4.7L 2WD DS/DX/ND
2011 5.7L 2WD/4WD WD/WK/W2 Only)

Repair Procedure:
Replace the torque converter.
Follow the procedures identified in the service manual

For those that want to know what the actual noise is in the torque converter:

The noise is caused by excessive lash between the turbine hub and turbine damper spline inside the converter. There is a small amount of tolerance on the spline teeth (for both parts), so the lash will vary from converter to converter. Many will have a small amount of lash, and therefore no noise. Others will have slightly more lash, and therefore will exhibit the noise. The noise is not a durability concern, but it is an annoyance for those who notice it. The replacement converters have a tighter turbine hub spline (which is actually an interference fit in some cases) which eliminates the noise.
As for issues in the long run....
if the torque converter is left running loose internally, it will eventually wear even worse, then pretty much self destruct.You`ll end up with a bunch of metal from the TC running thru the entire transmission, it will destroy the trans eventually. What will most likely happen, the TC wont go into lock up anymore, if it does, it will just be VERY noisey an go back out.

#149 ·
This is not my star report it is one i found on the net!!
Update i had mine fixed last wed droped it off picked it up less than 24 hrs later it was fixed. Noise gone everything is good.I was hearing mine(Growl/howl and grinding from 40mph to 53.This problem was not due to doggin the truck i drive that thing like a baby. They know about this problem took the tech for a test drive he heard it and that was it i also took this to help he even asked for a copy so it would be easier for him to explain to chrysler

Star Case: S1121000005

Release Date: 6/30/11

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Customer indicates that the vehicle has a slight moan, drone, or rattle noise and sounds as though it is coming from the exhaust, The customer may indicate that the noise occurs under light load (1400 - 1700 engine rpm - around 40 to 60 mph)

Diagnosis:
Confirm that the noise only occurs while the torque converter is in lock-up at low speeds (around 1400 - 1700 engine RPM) at approximately 45 mph. If the noise is heard while transmission is in partial lock-up at 1400 - 1700 RPM, put the vehicle into ERS - Tow/Haul mode (deactivates MDS and torque converter in full lock-up) If the noise is unchanged, perform the following repair procedure. If the noise goes away in ERS mode, further diagnosis is required. If the noise occurs above 1700 RPM or below 1400 RPM, further diagnosis is required.

Parts Required:
AR (1) RL051167AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2009 - 2011 2WD DS R/T Only)

AR (1) RL051146AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2009 4.7L WK/WH/W2/XK/XH,
2009 5.7L DS/DC/DH/D1/HB/HG/WK/WH/W2/XK
2010 5.7L DS/DD/DJ/DX/WK/WH/XK/XH
2011 5.7L DS/DD/DJ/D2 Only)

AR (1) RL0512241AB Kit, Torque Converter
(fits
2008 4.7L 2WD ND/HB/HG/DR/WK/WH/XK/XH
2008 4.7L 4WD WK/WH/XK/XH
2008 5.7L 2WD/4WD DR/HB/HG/WK/WH/XK/XH
2009 4.7L 2WD ND/HB/HG/DS
2010 4.7L 2WD ND/DS/DX
2011 4.7L 2WD DS/DX/ND
2011 5.7L 2WD/4WD WD/WK/W2 Only)

Repair Procedure:
Replace the torque converter.
Follow the procedures identified in the service manual

For those that want to know what the actual noise is in the torque converter:

The noise is caused by excessive lash between the turbine hub and turbine damper spline inside the converter. There is a small amount of tolerance on the spline teeth (for both parts), so the lash will vary from converter to converter. Many will have a small amount of lash, and therefore no noise. Others will have slightly more lash, and therefore will exhibit the noise. The noise is not a durability concern, but it is an annoyance for those who notice it. The replacement converters have a tighter turbine hub spline (which is actually an interference fit in some cases) which eliminates the noise.
As for issues in the long run....
if the torque converter is left running loose internally, it will eventually wear even worse, then pretty much self destruct.You`ll end up with a bunch of metal from the TC running thru the entire transmission, it will destroy the trans eventually. What will most likely happen, the TC wont go into lock up anymore, if it does, it will just be VERY noisey an go back out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.