DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Have you experienced the torque converter problem?

• Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed.

Votes: 191 30.5%
  • No, I have not noticed this problem.

Votes: 313 50.0%
  • I can't determine for sure if I have this problem.

Votes: 122 19.5%

Torque Converter Poll

130K views 453 replies 198 participants last post by  freezer16801 
#1 ·
If you have a 4th gen Ram (2009-present) and either have or have not had an issue with the reported grinding noise, please vote in the poll. My intent is to see how widespread this issue is among forum members.

As for me, I can tell for sure because my Magnaflow cat back exhaust upgrade is the dominant noise I hear (when my radio is not blaring). So I am having a hard time determining if I have this issue.

#217 ·
No noise at nearly 13,000 Miles

Purchased my new RAM Sport in June of 2011. Just about to turn 13,000 miles now....absolutely no converter noise whatsoever.

Scott

On a side note: I drive my truck like an 80 year old man. I'm the one doing the speed limit (+/- 5 mph) that everyone is passing on the way to go nowhere fast...LOL! My last truck was 16 years old, had 342,000 miles on the ticker and still ran like new without burning a drop of oil....with the original drivetrain.

#218 ·
Ok Ive read thru these 22 pages along with the Hemi tick, exhaust bolt recall, exhaust leak, lifters, bad gas, 30 year mechanic mentioning unburned fuel making noise in exhaust, Houstonhemi's dampener fix, ticks under acceleration mentioning u joints posts the list will continue :thk:
For the TC issue all I recall is owners hearing a growl, frisbee on concrete etc. sound but in the stars report it mentions rattle noise by the customer.

I've had my truck for a couple months. The truck starts up fine noisy but fine. I'M running 91 octane stock everything.

Under load @ 1500 to 2500 rpm I've got a tick, rattle noise similar sounding to what I would think be a lifter or bad gas under noise tick. @ 2500 rpm it fades away or stops. I might just not be able to hear it due to engine noise at that point. If I feather the throttle in that rpm range it's really annoying. Combine that with going 30 with the windows down I wanna shoot it. I can hear it in a seperate car with my wife passing me:bananalama:

I took it to the dealer today. The tech that road with me heard the sound and thought it would be the exhaust bolt recall. He also had his trans guy check the trans. After dropping it off and returning 4 hours later they " couldn't replicate condition" whatever. Also the forgetful bastards forgot to bolt some fender screws back in.

At first I thought lifters maybe exhaust leak. After finding this TC issue hmmm. Suggestions? Has anyone here had a tick not growl with the TC?

#221 ·
Ok Ive read thru these 22 pages...
I don't know the answer to your issue but I'm giving you rep points for reading through all 22 pages of this thread. ;)

#219 ·
Is it possible that the known "ECO MODE" vibration is being confused for the torque converter noise that some of you are reporting? There is a distinct noise that occurs when in ECO mode on all these new RAMs. It has nothing to do with the TC or tranny. From what I am told Chrysler is aware of it and says it is present in vehicles with the ECO mode that reduces the firing of 8 cylinders to only 4. It's an engine noise.

Scott

#220 ·
First, we can eliminate anything to do with the 'Eco Mode" due to the fact that AINTSKEERED's truck is a 2500 series and is not equipped with it.

AINTSKEERED, if you have read this forum in regard to the TC issue, you surely have come across a copy of the STAR case report. You should print a copy for yourself and for the service manager at your dealership. I have read in many instances, that there are dealerships that haven't a clue about this report or the issue. This may open up a clear line of communication between you and the dealership.

In my case, it was the frisbee/concrete sound before my TC was finally replaced.

As far as the ticking, mine does that too. I hear the the tick in cold temps., only after putting the truck in gear. It's annoying, but will quiet down half way down the block. It hasn't gotten any worse, so I refuse to let them crack my engine open for it. Plus I have read on here where other owners have experienced the same.

I would definitely copy that report and bring it in to your dealership. If they still do not acknowledge your concern, try Chrysler Customer Care or a different dealership.

#222 ·
i am unsure if i posted to this thread already or not, sorry if it is a repost. about 2 months ago i took a 2012 sport out for a test drive. during the drive as i let off the gas i heard a whirl sound... it sounded as if it was the car next to me. i came to the stop light and when it went green i had no gears, not in 4x4 high or low. i asked the dealer what had happened, they said that the pump was installed incorrectly and it took out the TC. i dont know if i believe them? all i know is that the truck had less then 75 KMS on it. very dissapointing!

#223 ·
Same here. I have a 2011 with 20,500 miles. Been hearing the TQ noise since i purchased it new, reported it on every oil change, service manager said he hadn't heard of such a thing. Drove the truck on a sunday night and parked it. Started it monday morning, put it in gear and nothing. Truck won't move. Dealership said torque converter and front pump bad. Horrible part is be a week monday and still hat the front pump is backordered, will be a week this monday, still no truck. And my dealership does not provide rentals, made me pay for 3 days until I complained enough, so they gave me a used vehicle to drive. This problem must be more widespread than expected for front pumps to be backordered.:smiledown:

#228 ·
Wow, I am somewhat surprised so many people have had this problem. The poll results are neck and neck. When I last spoke with my dealer's service dept, they said they had not heard of the star case nor had a single customer bring it up. I have to go in for an oil change and tire rotation soon so I will take a copy and see what they say.

G
#229 ·
I took the Star case in to the dealer and had the tech go for a ride. I explained what was on the case and he agreed to get it taken care of. It took 7-hours for the job but the symptoms are gone now. Had mine done at Gillman Dodge in Houston.

#231 ·
New member, first post and you can add me to the list. I kept reading this post and finally decided to join and chime in. It’s so aggravating that I purchased a brand new truck in October and the tranny already needs to be dropped for service. This problem is probably more wide spread then we could imagine, as people like me probably just read this and don’t say anything. It started making the noise within the first few weeks and to date the truck only has 4000 miles on it. I have not taken it in for service yet and honestly have just thought about trading it in on a different make of truck. This truck also gets no ware near the gas mileage on the window sticker, which is aggravating in itself. I’ve had vehicles that were a little off, but this one is not even close.

2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport 4X4

#235 · (Edited)
New member, first post and you can add me to the list. I kept reading this post and finally decided to join and chime in. It’s so aggravating that I purchased a brand new truck in October and the tranny already needs to be dropped for service. This problem is probably more wide spread then we could imagine, as people like me probably just read this and don’t say anything. It started making the noise within the first few weeks and to date the truck only has 4000 miles on it. I have not taken it in for service yet and honestly have just thought about trading it in on a different make of truck. This truck also gets no ware near the gas mileage on the window sticker, which is aggravating in itself. I’ve had vehicles that were a little off, but this one is not even close.

2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport 4X4
It will if you drive at 65 with the cruise on. Mine will get 18-22 depending on the terrain. Combined highway and in town it gets right around 15-16. Mine gets alot better gas mileage using the cruise than I can ever get with my foot.

Actually it was right at 60, not 65. I've been testing this on the way to work for a while now. At 60 with the cruise on it has averaged as good as 20.4 on a 30 mile trip. At 65 it will average about 19. At 70-80 it will average around 17 and so on. This is what I've seen. I can't get anywhere close to these #'s if I'm not using the cruise though. Haven't really figured that out yet.

#233 ·
Finally getting a chance to make my first post. I to have the TC problem. I first noticed when it had less then 1000 miles, now at 4000 miles and it's very noticable.
Just before Christmas I contacted the sales rep at the dealership I purchased the truck at. He put me in touch with the service manager who clearly didn't want anything to do with the problem. I gave him the Star case number and he said they had never heard of any TC problem. I tried to get him to come for a test drive to hear the noise but he said I would have to make an appointment for their transmission expert to check it for codes and put it on their transmission dyno to ensure it was shifting at the correct RPM. I explained what I had learned from the forum and what I belived was causing the noise, he snaps back "we aren't going to replace your TC just because of some noise your hearing"
Last week I visited a second dealer just down the highway, the service manager was happy to come for a test drive and heard the noise right away. I left him copies of this thread and although he said they had never had anyone with a bad TC he was going to check with Chrysler and call me in few days.
Very disappointed in Chysler, I don't think I would buy a RAM again.

#237 ·
It sucks, I know, I've been there.

Don't get too discouraged yet. Let's see what the service manager says when he gets back to you. By the way, if he doesn't call you with in a reasonable time period, call him back. It sounds like they really want to make you a satisfied customer.

If you aren't getting anywhere, give Chrysler Customer Care a call and lodge a complaint and open a case with them. They would really like to hear the way your selling dealership treated you in regard to this matter. Believe me, they don't like it when they are informed of crappy service to customers. The phone number for CCC is in the back of your manual. I believe there are separate numbers for Canada and U.S. residents.

Good luck and keep us informed.

#234 ·
Gotta go in for my scheduled maintenance this week so I'm gonna have them put in a new TC just for the heck of it even though I don't have the noise

#238 ·
Str8Cracker,,, I usually get around 19 mpg at 80ish mph, but now that its winter time and the crap they add to the gas nowadays, I'm lucky to get 16. Damn ethenol crap. It will get better, and if they need to replace your TC that should help too. I too am still waiting for my dealership to step up to the plate and replace mine, my trouble is I am never home or close when they are open.

#239 ·
I may be able to HELP

My first post here as a new member hopefully someone get use out of it.

Attached is a Star service bulletin that got my dealer to replace the torque converter no questions asked first visit.

I can tell you that it did change the noise I was hearing and it is less noticeable but by no means did it fix it.

I can still hear the noise but it is much less noticeable and at least tolerable, I could not stand to listen to it every time I was in the truck. Radio was up all the time.

My apologizes if this has been provided already I did not intend to read word for word 12 plus pages of posts.

Attachments

#241 ·
Many people go with aftermarket converters (Edge and Circle D are probably the most popular). I don't believe people do so to get rid of the noise, but do so for performance reasons. It should still solve the problem though. IMO, you should get the factory to replace it first, so that if you ever get rid of the aftermarket converter you have a good stock unit.

#248 ·
gp2011ram
I'm in Hamilton. Purchased the truck at Taylor and they wanted nothing to do with problem. Next I went the dealer in Grimsby, they were very nice and heard the noise but it's now 2 weeks later and they still haven't made a decision if they will replace it or not.
Were did you get yours replaced? I would be willing to drive a couple of hours to have it fixed.
RogueVette and wilky70. The dealer is Centennial Dodge Jeep in Barrie. Right at hwy 400 and Dunlop street. I believe the service guy is Matt that I was speaking with. He has done a few things under warranty on my truck and has been good about it. I know that they have a transmission guy that does all of these. I had to book an appointment for a day that he had free. I was glad to know that he has done some of these before. If the name of the guy is different I will update you tomorrow. I think I have his card at my office. Again, if you have that grinding sound, get it done. It made a big difference.

#246 ·
I took my truck in last week because it was getting horrible fuel milage, and i mentioned that it MIGHT be starting to make the famous TC grind and my service writer new exactly what i was talking about and noted it. Long story short, their trans guy took it for a spin and said it definately needed a TC. They replaced it under warrenty at just over 1500 miles on the odo. I never realized how quiet my truck was supposed to be. I would have been 100% happy with them if they didnt put a 1/2 inch scratch in my fender just behind the headlight on my BLACK truck. Im pretty sure its from somebodys belt buckle...

#247 ·
gp2011ram
I'm in Hamilton. Purchased the truck at Taylor and they wanted nothing to do with problem. Next I went the dealer in Grimsby, they were very nice and heard the noise but it's now 2 weeks later and they still haven't made a decision if they will replace it or not.
Were did you get yours replaced? I would be willing to drive a couple of hours to have it fixed.

#249 ·
This is my first post/reply on this forum. I've been part of this forum for awhile now. i just got back from my local dealer where i bought the truck. It took a better part of the day but it was worth it, my new torque converter is ordered. That star case info was a huge help from the other members. Thanks:smileup:

#251 ·
gp2011ram Thank you for the name of the dealer you had your converter replaced at.
I will give them a call tomorrow and make an appointment for next week, it's about a 2 hour drive but worth it if they have experience replacing the defective converters.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again.

#253 ·
Im from london ontario. So its a bit of a treck. This is the first that my dealer has heard of this problem. but they ordered my new parts. Im assuming your having difficulties trying to get your local dealerships to help you out with your probem.

RogueVette Where in Canada are you? I'd like to find a dealer that will do something about this noise too.[/QUOTE]

#255 ·
Joining the club. Started "growling" a few thousand ago and asked dealer last week if they knew about this. He said yes, but since the replacement hadn't fixed the problem in the past, they weren't doing them anymore. About 15 minutes later, he came back and said the transmission guy told him they updated them so we scheduled an appointment. Took it in today and got a loaner for the day. Also having them flash it for the harsh 42 MPH downshift issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.