DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Have you experienced the torque converter problem?

• Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed.

Votes: 191 30.5%
  • No, I have not noticed this problem.

Votes: 313 50.0%
  • I can't determine for sure if I have this problem.

Votes: 122 19.5%

Torque Converter Poll

130K views 453 replies 198 participants last post by  freezer16801 
#1 ·
If you have a 4th gen Ram (2009-present) and either have or have not had an issue with the reported grinding noise, please vote in the poll. My intent is to see how widespread this issue is among forum members.

As for me, I can tell for sure because my Magnaflow cat back exhaust upgrade is the dominant noise I hear (when my radio is not blaring). So I am having a hard time determining if I have this issue.

#256 ·
torque converter

hello i have a 2011 ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 slt with 16000 miles on it . it just started to act up while driving now it sometimes starts to shutter like its not all the way in gear . took it to the dealer they said it sounds like the torque converter is NOT locking up . so now i have to get a rental and let them dig into it . it is still under warranty :doh:anyone else with this issue ?

#257 ·
Hey guys and gals.

I have read all 26 pages and I have to tell you that I am a little concerned. I purchased a 2011 Dodge Longhorn in August and I only have 1900 kms. I did notice a difference when it kicked down from 8 to 4 mode so I guess this is standard.

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow morning and inquire with them about changing the TC out for a new one. I haven't had any of the issues that other people seem to be having. Did it make a difference when or where the truck was made or is this the standard problem on all 2011 Rams?

Any input would be appreciated. My truck is in the garage for the winter so should I just look after this problem when I take it out in May???

Thanks for your time and I have to tell you that I am very thankful for this forum and all the members.....

Take care and be safe.

Ed

#258 ·
Had it changed out last week. Forgot how quiet they can be. Also had the transmission flash done for the 42 mph hard downshift. They did a second for the keyless start or something. They weren't even sure what that one was about. Performance CJD in Omaha treated me good on this one.

#261 ·
Got my truck back last night. Took it for a long drive on some concession roads, Never felt better i couldnt get it to make any noise what so ever. I tried for about an hour. It was a great feeling when i could drive and only hear the exhuast. This was well worth it. :smileup:

#262 ·
2 TC in 6000 total miles

Greeting all,
I am new to the forum today. Just back from dealer after 2nd TC it's worse now than it was originally. My dealer dont know what to do. I have been patient to this point but did i mention I only have 6000 miles two oil changes 2 TC's Any suggestions appreciated.

#265 ·
Greeting all,
I am new to the forum today. Just back from dealer after 2nd TC it's worse now than it was originally. My dealer dont know what to do. I have been patient to this point but did i mention I only have 6000 miles two oil changes 2 TC's Any suggestions appreciated.
Have you called Chrysler Customer Service to open a case yet? I would, just to let a third party in on whats going on.

I feel bad for you, man. I had mine replaced and it did solve the issue, but every time I drive it, I have that thought in the back of my mind that the noise will return.

It sounds like the dealer is willing to do the work, but do they have the correct part numbers? Do you have a copy of the STAR case in regard to this issue? If not, it shows up in a few places on this thread. You would be surprised with the lack of knowledge some of these dealers have in regard to engineering updates. For example, I had an issue with my puddle lights on my mirrors staying on way too long. The software change for this had been out for months and the dealer had no idea it existed when I brought it in to get fixed.

I like my Ram, but as soon as I pay the note down some, I think it will be time to trade it in. This kind of stuff just scares me too much.

Good luck, I hope you can get this taken care of soon.

#263 ·
Wow, just posted before going back and reading previous posts.. I see that I am not the only one with the problem. Forum has great information wish I had found it sooner. My dealer is great so far they were aware of the problem and have replace 2 with no good results. Hope the keep being good it's going back next week.

#264 ·
I would go to a different dealer. And I'm guessing the 2 oil changes is personal preference?

#266 ·
I do have a copy of the star case now will call dealer tomorrow. My dealer is very willing to help and the mechanic has told me that it didn't fux the problem before I picked it up today he is wanting to do more research. I will give him the info that I got here. Thanks for the comments.

Yes the oil changes is out of personal preference.

#267 ·
After reading the star case report and listening to the garbling noise this past weekend after a 700 mile round trip, I had the Torque Converter replaced yesterday.

Before Christmas, I went to the dealership where I bought the truck and they did not want to listen to me about the star case. I went to another dealer about 15 miles away and they heard the noise and were ready to fix it that day. They even had a printed copy of the star case.

Truck seems quieter. I'll see what happens after the 500 mile break in period. I would like to know if those that had it replaced experienced any problems after the break-in period.

#269 ·
I wish I knew how to cut and paste links on this forum, but if you go into the search box and type in Rammin88 under user name box, you will bring up Rammin88's posts. There is a thread he added called "torque converter*must read*. He supplied a great photo of the STAR case that one can print.

And yes, the 4.7 litre is listed along with the Hemi in the report.

If Rammin88 logs on and sees this post, he can PM the report to you. He's been a great help to many on this forum. Thanks again, Rammin88!

#271 ·
No issues with the TC yet and I abuse the hell outta my truck

#272 ·
I have been sending letters to Chrysler LLC asking them to extend out the power train warranty on our 2011 rams due to the Torque Converter issue. While my dealer was great about replacing my TC I was not particularly happy about having my transmission dropped at 5,000 miles. I feel that it would create a lot of good will to voluntarily extend the warranty on our trucks. I have requested them going to 10 years 100,000 miles. I know in my case in 5 years I will likely have around 30k on the truck, maybe less with the spiraling gas costs.

I just feel that they should make a goodwill gesture, it is a serious and well known issue. An extended warranty on it would go a long ways towards me considering a Ram again in the future. If you feel the same way and want to write and ask here is the address. First I tried customer service, while polite nothing came of it, then I tried this address and got another call. Again I did not get them to agree to anything, but they did say that this was the right address to complain. So maybe if enough of us do write we might get something from them.

Diaz , Fred M. President and Chief Executive Officer – Ram Truck Brand
Chrysler Group LL
PO Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004

#276 ·
^The RT converter is slightly "looser", it stalls at a higher rpm. It is a step towards an aftermarket higher stall converter, but it is realistically only slightly better. It is good, but an aftermarket one would be much better.

#277 ·
Yupp Sean got it right. I also heard different materials hence the low tow rating for R/T

#278 ·
"Reprogram DTCM" sticker under hood when I bought it, now 3 flashes to the tranny (twice stuck in "limp" mode showing 4th gear) and 2 torque converters. Seems to be working fine now (Knocking wood).
1st TC started the grinding noise at 700 mi, replaced at 1300 mi with same part number. Made noise right away. Gave it a while on dealers advice but didn't get any better. Second TC replaced with new part number at 2300mi. So far so good at 3400 mi.
For the record a guy I work with has had 2 TC's as well. All good now.
Gas mileage isn't that good at 11.5 at 60/40% city/hwy but that should improve with break in. Just wishing I had researched and got 3.92 gearing.

#281 ·
Well, when the thread has 280 posts, I can't really fault someone for not going back and reading them all.

No, this noise will not hurt the trans (or converter). It is an annoyance caused by a little too much clearance (backlash) in the turbine hub spline. This allows the spine connection to rattle when it is under no torque (which happens when the TCC is fully engaged).

Not all converters exhibit the rattle. It depends on how much spline clearance you have (which will vary due to manufacturing tolerances). You do not need to have the converter replaced if (1) you don't have the noise, or (2) it's not enough of an annoyance to justify getting the work done.

#282 ·
Thanks for the input TransEngineer...

I was speaking to my dealer about all the issues and they sounded surprised however the mechanic advised that they have replaced a dozen so far......

So far so good for me with my RAM... Touch wood I hope I don't have any issues...

Thanks again,

Ed

#285 ·
I just bought my truck a month ago and it has 20,000 km's...i am noticing a slight grinding noise/whining at around 60 km/h thats driving me NUTS...It drives me nuts and i always try to keep the speed below or above the 60km/h so i dont have to listen to it....My truck is a 2010 HEMI.....Does this sound like its the TC ? If so i will be taking it in because with such low km's i dont think this truck should be making ANY noises.

#286 ·
The converter noise only occurs when the torque converter clutch (TCC) is fully locked. Best thing would be to have your dealer drive it with a scan tool to monitor TCC engagement. Normally, in top gear with MDS active, the TCC is partially (not fully) locked, so you would NOT get the noise. Tapping the ERS (-) switch (to put you in "5") should cause the TCC to fully lock, so then you would hear the noise (if it's the converter).

So if you can hear the noise with the TCC unlocked, or partially locked, then it's something other than the converter (and replacing the converter won't fix it).

#287 ·
The dealership had my truck over the weekend and fixed the problem with the torque converter. they couldnt hear the noise i had or anything of that sort but they fixed it anyways and found out that the truck ran smoother than it did before. so as of now my truck is fixed and in good running order at 42,517 miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.