DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 mpg?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  richmond 
#1 ·
I was reading the post about 21 mpg. I use to get good gas mileage but don't anymore, about 14-15mpg now. Truck has 80k miles on it. I'm going on a cross country trip next month and would love to get better mileage. What all can be checked/replaced to get back to what I was getting around 20mpg at 75-80mph.
Big thanks for any help,
Doug

#2 ·
my suggestions would be
buy a can of SEA FOAM at your auto parts store, pour 1/2 of it in your gas tank, start your engine, pull the large vacuum hose off of the big brake booster canister, pour the rest of the fluid into that hose leading to the engine, read the instructions on the can, pour it slowly enough that the engine does not die. Your tailpipes are going to smoke for awhile :) ,,, i would never put it in the crankcase, even if i was going to change oil soon
change the spark plugs if you have not done them in over 40,000 miles
take the air cleaner filter out, vacuum anything that may be under the filter, replace the filter & reassemble everything.
air up your tires
change oil & filter

I just returned from a cross country round trip, over 6,800 miles & i have 83,700 miles on it. My MPG was pretty good considering the weight that i had in the Ram

#4 ·
Air filter is the first thing I would check. Seafoam is the second thing I would do. I think the can says to put in one ounce for every gallon of gas in your tank, but I would just dump the whole can in.

#7 ·
The 05 HEMI made a trip to NC from KY and return (wife), and the hand calc. for both interstate legs ran between 16.5 mpg down and 17 mpg return on 89 octane (seafoam on frontend fill up, gas tank only). Her in town driving averaged 12 mpg for 10 days. Her tire size is 285/70/17, Firestone Destination AT's.

R...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.