DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Rear Axel Fluid Recall 2011 Dodge Ram 1500

11K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  blk11crew 
#1 ·
hey guys I just came from my dodge dealership

Take your 2011 1500 Rams in for them to inspect the rear axel fluid and to get it topped up

#10 ·
I'm surprised that the sensor on that rear end, did not set off a code & check engine light, maybe even shut the truck off

#14 ·
Oops

hey guys I just came from my dodge dealership

Take your 2011 1500 Rams in for them to inspect the rear axel fluid and to get it topped up

Mine was beyong adding fluid... got a new rear end. It was the second one that totaly failled at theat dealer.

Beware that if you were running for some time low on lubricant or no additive in your rear end, adding fluid will only delay the failure of the rear end...

Mine failled at 1500 KM the other in the yard failled at 1000 KM.;)

#16 ·
Depending if your Doge ram 1500 is one that was missing fluid from the assembly line, 1000 KM is sufficient to cause failure in certain condition. Mine was driven in northern Alberta, and started grinding at around 1000 KM and failed at 1400 KM in mid December. The logic is that if the dealer would have top up the fluid right away instead of waiting for the appointment that he given to me ( a week later), the differential would not have failed right away, but some wear would have been present ( grinding sound). How that would affect the smooth operation of the differential? or it's future failure? In your case, I would get it checked asap, and keep record if they had to add fluid or not, for future reference. The fact that they have to add a additive, is not reassuring to me, but it to soon to know if this rear end problem, will be a chronic one.

#17 ·
Yeah Well mine was not making a grinding sound or any sound for that matter , I found out about the recall and made an appointment right away and its seems to be driving the exact same way. I have the receipt and I keep that all in a file folder at home.

#20 ·
So if my truck was built Jan 20th would there not even be a problem anymore? Would all the new trucks be corrected? I heard the problem was that the hole was too low and you had to over fill the rear diff...Maybe I am wrong. I just hope if that is the case in all the new trucks they build the have the hole in the proper place.

#22 ·
I went in for my oil change and after waiting for about 20min I thought about the rear end. When I went to the counter to ask they had already added fluid to it. I made them document that on my bill.

#24 ·
Does anyone know if there was a build date of the trucks associated with this recall? My truck was built in January 2011 and I was thinking since it was built last month they probably filled the fluid to the proper level since it seems like they knew about the recall then?

#26 ·
I called the dealer and they typed my VIN in and no recalls came up for it. The guy said the ones built in January shouldn't have the low axel fluid level because the recall was issued last year and it was fixed for January builds. I am glad to hear this as when I was buying my truck they had 4 that were the exact same just different colors. I picked the silver one that was built in January vs. the other three they had were built last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.