DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Centre Console design flaw.

5K views 38 replies 33 participants last post by  geek82 
#1 ·
I have the floor mounted shifter and the console with armrest and two storage compartments. I notice that the power outlet is inside the upper lid of the centre storage compartment. However that compartment does not have a molded channel for the power cord to feed out through to ber able to close the lid. The bottom storage compartment, however has a channel to feed a power cord through so you can close that lid. But there is no power outlet inside that compartment.

In my 2500 the power outlet and the channel is all in the upper compartment. Is it just mine or do all the 2011 have this flaw.

#3 ·
Hmmm I never really noticed that. I have to check that out

#12 ·
Does the word hacksaw mean anything to you? :D

Really it's no biggie. I'm sure if you close the lid there is enough clearance that it will be OK. On my wife's Rav the center console has no slot and I plug in my daughters MP3 player and run the cord out to the back seat. Closes just fine.

#17 ·
I think that is the only one that stays power up when the truck is turned off. But then again that is probably just as simple as moving the fuse to have the other ones power up with the truck turned off.

#19 ·
I was thinking a bit about this.

Maybe its not a design flaw. maybe the one in the top is for cell phones and other devices that doesnt require a deep compartment. Maybe it was designed so the phone can stay in there and charge and not float around the cab. (uconnect)

Maybe the cut out for the larger compartment is for a laptop or something with larger cords to charge while being stashed.

I agree there should be a notch in the upper one since its the only one that stays powered on for that reason.

#21 ·
Off TOPIC, but I love the Signature PorkChop! Hahahaha:doh::smileup:

#27 ·
as far as the power outlets go
i was thumbing through the owners manual this week, the power outlets can all be ON with the key OFF, it mentions it in the manual

I have not looked for it, but, isn't there a power outlet at the rear of the center console, so back seat passengers have access to power??
I keep my rear seat up, so that i can use the load floor. I use to put my work tools, safety gear & suitcases in the cab, the whole rear area is quite full & i have not looked around back there for 2 years to see what came in the truck originally

#35 ·
I have not looked for it, but, isn't there a power outlet at the rear of the center console, so back seat passengers have access to power??
My has a power outlet on the back of the center console just went outside and took a pic, the outlet just work with the key on the ignition.

#29 ·
Heck, go back a few years and there are no locks anywhere! My truck only has locks on the doors. This was the first vehicle that I purchased that didn't have a lock on the glove box. Back in 97 tail gate locks were a novelty started by Ford and no one else had them. My center console doesn't have any locks either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.