DODGE RAM FORUM banner

To lift or not?

7K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  MadSoul87 
#1 ·
I currently have a 2.5 inch leveling kit installed on my 06 Ram 1500 with 35x12.50x20 Federal Courgia M/T tires. After getting all that done I am wondering if it is worth the money to lift it 4 inches? I really don't want to go with anything bigger than 4 inches. After putting on these 35's I am wondering if there is any benefit really to lifting it besides more ground clearance? Any suggestions would be great on what lift kits are the best values and pictures of any pickups with 4 inch lifts with 35's would be great. Here is a few pictures of my pickup currently...looking to possibly lift it in a few months maybe got quoted for a rough country lift kit at local tire store for $1000 installed with parts, labor, and warranty....

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice lookin truck! I have close to the same setup on my 2011 and have been kickin around a 4" suspension versus a body lift. $1000 installed sounds like a good price.

#4 ·
If you can afford it lift it. More articulation, much better looks, more tire clearance etc. etc. If you got the cash and dont mind the loss of mpgs Id say go for it.

#5 ·
Good looking truck , if i were you i ll keep it as it is , i ll try to do my truck like yours but i have one question about the tires do they vibrate after 50 miles speed ? because i have the same tires on my range rover ( but smaller size ) and i cant speed more than 50 miles per hour because of the vibration and the tires sound, so how is it on the ram ?

#6 ·
Ya I the mpg don't bother me much I just drive to work (5 miles away) and head in the mountains occasionally on the weekends. I am just wondering if I were to lift it if I would be able to keep the 35's I have on it or if it would look funny. I don't mind paying for the lift I just don't want to have to get new tires as I just did. To answer your question about the tires on the highway I do not have any vibration they sorta have a low hum when reaching 60-70 miles per hour but with the radio on you can't even tell. I also have a magna flow exhaust that drowns out a lot of the noise I am sure. Does anyone have pictures of a their pickup with a 4 inch lift?

#7 ·
I think your truck looks great as it is, but 4 inches would give you more clearance in the mountains if you feel you need that. I personally like 35's with 4 inch lifts so I wouldn't bother getting new tires if it were me.

#11 ·
If you have a leveling kt then a 4" isn't realy much more. The other thing is you can't go with bigger tires with a 4" so its not like your lifting for a reason. Honestly for the price you can go with a 6" kit. All the companies out there that make both sizes have the prices pretty close. If you don't want to go higher then 4" and you habe the money then I guess go for it. I would actually suggest going with a 3" body lift o sabe some money and you'll get more height out of it. I just put a Performance Accessories kit on and it looks good so don't be afraid that it won't.

I see some guys talking about upgrading tires after a 4" lift. You already habe 35s so you won't be going any taller unless you go more then 6"

The problem with looking at Maddogs truck is that it is a mega cab. That means it already sits higher from factpry since it has the HD suspension. That will ne like your truck with a 6" kit.

#12 ·
Ya I thought about a block lift but I have riden in pickups with block lifts and they are really bouncy especially on the highway.....that was in a toyota not sure if the block lifts make the ride bounce more on the dodge's though. I think if I were to go with the 6 inch lift I would eventually want to put 37's or something on it is that possible with 20 inch rims?

#13 ·
I really like the look of your truck, but if you need the clearance put the lift on. The picture Michael put looks fine and that would be your setup. The tires don't look too small to me.

#16 ·
from what i have read from this forum, it seems with your current setup the only way you will gain better clearance is with the 6" lift and bigger tires, if you want the bigger look and don't mind not having add clearance then go with the 4", especially if it is only $1000 parts and labor. Hell if I could get a shop round here to do that then I would be there soon as my bank account cleared $1000. There again my suspension is stock and most I am going to do before I put my lift on is crank up the torsions and put better shocks in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.