DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Issues with 03 - Do they carry over into the new gen. Rams?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Guinness 
#1 ·
Hi All

I have owned my 03 QC 4X4 Hemi since new (sept 03). Previous truck was a 98 QC.

I would like my next truck to be a black QC Ram again (likely an '11), but I'm wondering if some issues have been improved.

1) Wind noise - when driving with a strong crosswind, the door seals are pulled away from the doors and the noise is almost deafening in the cab. I would assume with a slightly different cabin design the issue would likely no longer exist but would like to know if any new gen owners have experienced this?? Any 02-08 owners here to back me up on this issue?

2) Rust!!! I know my truck is 8 years old but I've got some bubbling above the rear wheel wells....It seems like a poor design on the rear wheel wells where it traps the dirt/salt etc. I plan on having this new truck for another 8-10 years so it would be great if this problem would be rectified.

If you could provide an objective review of the new gens as compared to the previous generations it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I don't have much experience with mine yet but I can say that it appears the howling and wind issues seem to be gone with my new Ram. It's been through several hours of highway driving, speeds up to 80mph (I wasn't speeding honest!) and it was very quiet. It was very windy during the trip so I feel confident in saying at least with the 2011 Laramie's that the wind noise is a thing of the past.

Can't comment much on your second question as I've only had the truck a couple days now myself so I luckily can say I've seen any rust :LOL:

#3 ·
there have been rust issues with the new rams.

#5 ·
I have read about the rusting bumpers. I have heard that they are replaced no question under warranty. Amazing in the fact that both my '98 and '03 have had rusting bumpers. Not a dealbreaker as I can buy one for $300-$400 (assuming), but you would think they would fix the issue.

The wind noise is a huge issue that would have needed to be resolved. It's embarrassing when I have a passenger in there with me who asks if the window is done up. I'm just like "no, it always does this with a crosswind.":doh:

Thanks guys

G
#6 ·
Most wind noise issues are caused by:

1. Mis-aligned doors,

2. Mis-aligned window glass, and

3. Failing door seals.

The alignment issues can be fixed as can the door seal problem. Most door seal problems arise as the rubber get's old, dry and they flatten out. A new truck should not have this problem.

#9 ·
I’m new to RAM, owning two Ford F-150’s previously. Went looking for another, this time stepping up to a 2020 King Ranch. However, when I saw the DT platform, I just absolutely loved the look, so I ran across a Laramie Longhorn Edition. After test driving the truck and seeing how much more I was getting for the money than the King Ranch, I decided to get it. I’m taking it to Krown next week after I bought it less than two months ago. Getting a Krown franchise to rust proof and undercoat it at roughly $150. As long as it’s a new vehicle and you get done within 6 months of buying it, then do that every year, they’ll guarantee it for the life of the vehicle up to something else $5,000 which you should never have that much reached. I know that doesn’t help owners with older models, but check them out anyway and see what they can do for you. I also will get mine ceramic coated just to preserve the new look. Don’t have a garage, so it’s exposed to all the elements 365 days a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.