DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Thinking!! about Dodge Ram..Need honest! advice!

5K views 37 replies 29 participants last post by  2be 
#1 ·
New member, and looking for info. on Ram 1500 trucks, I'm thinking to buy new.

What are the problems in the late models?

Engine
Transmission
performance
overall quality reliability?

had Ford and GM trucks late models and disappointed...

what is the best configuration? engine, trans, performance? also off road

thanks

#2 ·
A big hello and an even warmer Carolina Welcome! I hope you make the most of the very best RAM ForumZ on the web.

Well you came to the right place to learn about the Ram. This is my second and I wouldn't have any other brand. The only thing I'd change on my truck is the rear end gearing. I'd go with the LSD 3.92. Versus the 3.55 I have now.
Good luck shopping!
:Hey:

#3 ·
A big hello and an even warmer Carolina Welcome! I hope you make the most of the very best RAM ForumZ on the web.

Well you came to the right place to learn about the Ram. This is my second and I wouldn't have any other brand. The only thing I'd change on my truck is the rear end gearing. I'd go with the LSD 3.92. Versus the 3.55 I have now.
Good luck shopping!
:Hey:
Thanks for the welcome reply, does it come stock or have to go aftermarket?

#4 ·
I have a 2011 QC Ram Sport 4x4 hemi with the 3.92 Limited Slip rear end. It is a factory option but you have to check the window sticker to be sure as it is an option. Being that i am going to tow a 27 foot boat and a 30 ft. travel trailer 12-25 times a year this was really a no brainer the hemi with the 3.92 is your best set up...or at least that seems to be the general consensus on the forum.welcome to the forum:smileup:

#5 ·
Many thanks for the info, anything about engines knock/tick or transmission issues, I hear Hemi is good engine but some say Ram transmission is the drive-train weak point!..I understand no brand is perfect but GM's late model is struggling with it's AFM thing and oil consumption..

#8 ·
If you wait for the 2012 models you will see the new ZF transmission. Dodge only had bad transmissions in the late 90s. I was a chevy guy before I got my dodge and I had to replace my tranny and my engine in my chevy. I haven't had any issues with my Ram yet.

#6 ·
Run.....and run swiftly:SHOCKED:. No just kidding:LOL:As far as all the new trucks available everybody is name brand loyal to a certain degree I think, they all have strong and weak points, I happen to think that the new ram offers a quality that is a cut above, the ride quality blew me away, a friend of mine let me take his for a ride before I bought one. If you decide purchase one look at the heavy tow package (large capacity coolant rad and heavy duty oil cooler) along with the 3:92 limited slip rear end being the optimum ratio. You'll avoid buyer's remorse that way. They are extremely capable IMHO for pulling. I have only one warranty item to be addressed, my front drive axle seal is seaping a bit of fluid, I have owned the truck since last May, it faired well through a harsh winter. I wasn't a dodge owner prior.

#7 ·
As long as you take care of the truck, it will take care of you :smileup: My '05 has around 110,000 miles on it right now and I have never had any problems with the engine or drivetrain. It'll take a decent amount of abuse, I mean, you gotta have some fun every now and then right?

#9 · (Edited)
Guys,
Thanks for the responses, to tell you the truth I am very disappointed with late models... hate engine noises (scary!) and transmission issues... the old 90+ Ram models had transmission issues but you still owned a quality product, my friend bought F-150 and sold it after few months and returned to his OLD Ram!...it's sad when you pay $30-$40K and end up with a truck making noises and have issues like if it's 10-20 years old!, sold my F-150 after taking it to the dealer several times ,they would hold it for days to weeks and never fix it, the same with Chevy...Dodge is not an exception! however, I just did a search and found a couple of posts about NEW Ram engines have cold start knock..

#11 ·
I have been really pleased with my truck so far. A few things that I didn't get, that I wish I would have, an integrated brake controller option, the 3.92 with the LSD, tow hooks and skid plates.

Things that I am not to pleased with, the headlights and the squat of the rear springs with 1000+ in bed/tongue weight. I plan to have a projector retrofit done soon, and will be getting some sort of suspension helper, probably airbags. 2 of the 3 are associated with towing, so if you don't do that, you won't even notice. The headlights I was disappointed in, but you can easily have them upgraded, or add auxiliary lighting.

As for the tick, I have only noticed it on cold starts when the truck has been sitting for a couple days, and it doesn't last but a couple seconds. I figure with a good quality oil, very little damage could happen in a couple seconds every once in a while.

Other than that, I love the ride, the interior, the overall appearance of the truck. Performance it better than the Chevy's I looked at, and the price was less. I will never own another Ford after all the problems I have had with them in the past, so I can't speak to them.

I think you will be happy with a Ram.

#12 ·
biggest two problems with rams is rust and rear ends.3rd gen is rust problems on around wheel wells 4 th gen complaints have been rust on bumpers/door seals/3rd brake light back window seal these areas have shown signs of rust or water penetration which may cause rusting later on down the road.3rd gen rearends have been clutch pack clip failure it is yet to be determined weather this has been solved starting in 06 and later years or not.this is merely my opinion that ive formed from others imput and complaints so dont roast me if urs is different thanks

#14 ·
Rumor has it that it is going to be an 8 speed.

charlieb said:
biggest two problems with rams is rust and rear ends.3rd gen is rust problems on around wheel wells 4 th gen complaints have been rust on bumpers/door seals/3rd brake light back window seal these areas have shown signs of rust or water penetration which may cause rusting later on down the road
Forgot about that. Thankfully, I haven't noticed it yet on mine.

#15 ·
I've been nothing but happy with mine. I wish I had gotten the 3.92 LSD but oh well you can't think of everything before you buy...

I had an '08 QC HEMI before my current '10 CC HEMI and the only problems that I've had were not enough cash to do the mods that I want...

I've also never noticed the fabled "HEMI tick" on either truck. I never noticed it on the wife's Magnum or on her Challenger.... but then I've been accused of being deaf on more than one occasion

Exco

#16 ·
I think you will be more than satisfied with a Dodge. As was said before--you take care of it and it will take care of you. Every manufacture has it's problems, but I've had less with Dodge than with Ford and Chevy. Take them out for a drive and compare them--it's gotta make you happy.
Jay

#17 ·
I made my first jump to Dodge with a new 09 Ram. My dad and I between us have had 3 2000 model year and up Chevy's and all were great trucks, but they just were too plain for my liking this go around.
I hear people complain about rusty bumpers and wheels the most, but I live in Minneapolis salt country and have not had an issue. I keep it clean and keep wax on it. I am very happy with the truck but my biggest complaint is a noise that comes from the dash when I hit bumps in the cold...but in reality it's hard to really complain about that.
If I were to do it again I would have gotten the 3.92 LSD rear end though. Also, I would wait for 2012 and the new transmission. I haven't had any issues with mine, but I also like new model updates.

#19 ·
As a new RAM owner, I can't say enough about this truck. I have always been a Chevy guy, but the late model Silverado was very disappointing to me. Ford was next on my list and I was modestly impressed. But after reading great reviews (they are all over - Car and Driver tested the three and RAM came out on top), I test drove the new RAM. It took one drive for me to realize this truck is a cut above the others.

Ride is great, performance is great. I've got the 5.7 with 3.55. So far I've had no regrets with that package. The only thing I'd change is the chrome clad rims. I have very little confidence that they will hold over time and there have already been some issues with them. Being 20" replacing them will be costly.

I could go on...but I'll just say that I love this truck! Not had a single day of buyer's remorse and for me, that is a first on any car I've owned...

#20 ·
I was a Ford truck owner for a couple of decades+, and in 2004 decided to try the Ram with the Hemi. I am currently on Ram #3 with the Hemi. :) I like the fact that I can get a great looking truck and not have to sacrifice anything for it; actually it seems that I got it all, looks, performance, features and comfort.

Notes from personal experience -
1) The Hemi ticks. This appears to be a good thing. I have only one come across one Hemi that didn't tick, and the owner had a major issue that required a complete engine replacement. His new Hemi ticks, and he couldn't be happier. :smileup:
2) Starts very well in extreme cold. I live in Canada and have to deal with long term cold weather, and my occupation requires me to leave the truck parked for extended periods (days) in lots that have no electrical plug in capabilities, so as a result I never plug my vehicles in ever. The Hemi has never let me down. After sitting for 3 days at -40-44, it started without issue. Starting in -30 is like starting in the summer.
3) Dash noises (squeak/rattle) especially on the passenger side near the A pillar. This is most noticeable in the extreme cold. My 2010 is better than my 08 was, but it still exists to some degree. Not bad enough for me to complain to the dealer about (always forget to mention it), so that should give you an idea of how bad it is. :)
4) Way to much fun to drive. This does affect total fuel cost, as I tend to put on more miles. I have numerous vehicles to drive, each is application dependent, but find that I will always try to use the Ram, as it's just so nice to drive.
5) The 1500 model is a little light in the suspension world (which also contributes to the absolutely wonderful ride), so suspension enhancement is necessary if you are going to carry big loads or pull heavy trailers on a regular basis. I use the Timbren SES for this.

All in all, my 3 time experience with the Ram has been excellent. When the time comes to replace my current truck, I will check out what the competition has to offer, but as it sits, Ram has the advantage before the search begins. :smileup:

Keep us posted as what your final decision is....and why.

#21 ·
Great information, I am going to look at another Ram sport tomorrow. 2011 sport. Hopefully I will get a good deal. I have been shopping for a couple of months now, and have been worrying about reliability, I also have a 2006 Acura TL now and it ticks all the time.

#22 ·
I drive a 2010 1500 Ram Sport 4x4 Hemi Crew Cab. I love the Design and feel of the truck. It's by far the nicest looking truck on the market. The only issue I have with the RAM is the Fuel Consumption. I'm getting 12-15 MPG if I'm lucky , and only 16-18 MPG HWY. The only way I can get over 20MPG is cruise at 70-80 KMH (40-50 MPH). Once I get to 90-100KMH or above it drops to 12-18MPG. If you plan on driving HWY it's not as great as advertised.

#23 ·
I have a 2010 Hemi QC TRX4 Ram with 3.92 gears. I have owned it for 8 months. In that time and i put 7k miles on it and had to have the rear end rebuilt 3 times. It had a nasty howling in it. It took three attempts of warranty repair and now it works great! I used to drive GM trucks. Other than the hassle of my rear end issue I love the Ram and the dealers fixed my problem promptly. I think the styling, ride quality and power of the Hemi Ram blow the others away. City I get 16-17mpg, on the Hwy I tend to get 19-20, but I drive 70 on cruise. If I drive over 75mph on highway it will be more like 18 MPG. Overall I am happy with it, and have no regrets.

#25 ·
I have 2010 QC 4x4 SLT hemi 3.55 gears 20" wheels this is my 8th truck first Dodge,
I had a wheel speed sensor go out dealer fixed it in about an hour.
Some people don't like the headlights .leveling kit should fix that
I presently also own a Ford f350 4x4 7.3 diesel and also owned many Chevy's 4x4 and 2wd.
I took a new ford and chevy for test drives you should too I found them heavy and sluggish to drive what I mean by that is you feel like you have to work to drive them
would make a long drive longer i think.
The Dodge feels nimble and easy to drive and impressed with the engine' who wants to drive a truck that can't get out of it's own way.
I have towed a 1965 chevy II 3000lbs on a trailer 1400 lbs 4400 lbs total a couple of times about a 100 miles each way on highway and secondary roads with no problems, my truck is rated for 6000lbs max towing capacity.
A little story for you :There is an intersection of two secondary roads by my house, I went through the intersection (it has a slight rise in the middle) the other day hit the bump, traction control kicked in I then realized I caught air and was going through the intersection about 20 miles an hour faster than I normally would , back to the light and nimble feeling I mentioned earlier
I realy like this truck I think Dodge went a little extra than ford and chevy on their latest offerings I took a un biased look at the three and there is now a Dodge in my driveway.
Just my .05c

#26 ·
Thanks everyone for all your input and experiences on your Rams, definitely helping me in my buying decision! I have drove all the trucks, japanese ones included. The titan and tundras are just flat out ugly to me. The fords look nice but didnt drive that great and still seem like they won't budge on the price (FX4). I will say the Ecoboost one I drove as well was actually pretty dang peppy, but I am a total nut for the V8 rumble, so that engine would never work for me lol. Then on to the chevys, drove the Z71 ext cab, which I like the looks, but it didn't drive great all at to me and seems to sit lower than the other trucks. However I did enjoy driving the gmc sierra Z71 even tho its still the same as chevy, not sure what the difference was but it also looks nicer (front grill) to me. Then went and drove the Rams, which have always been my absolute favorite looks wise, sound wise (HEMI!!) and comfort wise. It is definitely a big truck, super comfy, and drove pretty good. So I really want to pull the trigger and get the Ram, still just trying to make the final decision. I am going from a 350z, which being 6'4 and squished in there for the five years Ive had it is starting to take a toll on my back! I do have a big jeep but it is short and stout so driving it is pretty simple. My question, how long does it take to get use to driving the big RAM parking wise and such? Kinda makes me nervous when I pull back into the dealer and am hesitant to park it lol. Any thoughts? Either way I love the Ram!!! :)

#30 ·
Congrats, I hope you can get into that RAM soon. As far as parking I have been using the park assist which works great. I also park as far away from everyone as possible :LOL:. It's still a bi@#ch to park sometimes and if the spots are small forget it. I have just installed a backup cam and may get one for the front as well. As far as driving it is an absolute pleasure on the road and did not take me long at all to get use to it. You'll feel like King of the road. :smileup:

#27 ·
I have the 2011 Ram Sport Crew Cab 4x4. Something I wasn't looking for, and if someone has already stated this sorry, was a backup camera. I pull a trailer off and on 9 months out of a year. With the backup camera you can drive right to the trailer in one shot. I cannot imagine not having it now. Also, mine came 3.92 and with the brake controller installed.

#28 ·
Were are some of you guys getting up to 10 grand off of Rams. The best I have found here in South Jersey is 6000 total, thats with 3000 rebate and 3000 for invoice. I think it is down to 2000 now.

#35 ·
Were are some of you guys getting up to 10 grand off of Rams. The best I have found here in South Jersey is 6000 total, thats with 3000 rebate and 3000 for invoice. I think it is down to 2000 now.
I got 11 grand off when I bought mine last May.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.