DODGE RAM FORUM banner

01 Ram Exhaust Plugged Again

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 ·
Ok, Here is my story.
About a year ago I drove up from Vancouver to Kamloops and drove around for a couple days hunting and fishing etc.... and on the way back up the Highway (Coke) The engine started hesitating under full throttle. Needless to say I had to nurse it back to home to figure out what was going on. After a bit of research I learned that my exhause was plugged. I got my cat taken off at a muffler shop and a straight pipe put in. This fixed it right up and it sounded pretty good too. Then after another trip up Kamloops the same thing.... I thought it might have been air filter but checked it and it was fine. I figured that it was the exhaust and also got the plenum gasket done at the same time. (ordered the one through hughes engines) I thought that would be the end of my worries. Now once again the same hesitation is coming and power is down to about 70%. Someone Please help me? Had to unscrew both O2 Sensors to get some flow there, and that helped. Any thoughts would be apreciated.

#3 ·
Re: plugged exhaust

Haven't done a back pressure check, just started doing this last night. I had to pull my o2 sensors off so my exhaust had some flow, which helped. I am pretty sure you are right that the exhaust is suspect. Brand new flow master, tho. Any ideas what could be causing the buildup? I had the new plenum kit installed.

#4 ·
Rpms stay up with clutch in!

It turns out its not the exhaust like I thought. I guess I'm too used to the exhaust. Plugging up on me.

I re-routed a few plug wires so they didn't cross, which made a big difference! No more hesitation so far.

My other problem which happened at the same time is that when I am downshifting, my rpms stay up when the clutch is in and my tach hits 1500 to 2000 rpm and just stays there until I put it in gear or stop. Any ideas on this?

#5 ·
If the wires were jumping spark then replace them. Sounds like the truck needs some regular maintenance, a tune up. Start there, the cheap/easy things first. Any engine lights/codes?

Hanging idle is usually an intake leak/vacuum leak.

#7 ·
I'd start with wires. I'm not familiar really with EVAP systems so don't know if it could cause any issue, I think it's purely emissions related. I assume you tried the gas cap? Is the code P0440? P0441? Gas cap usually fixes these codes. The rubber seal on the cap deteriorates with age.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.