DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How fast can we go

9K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  racerx9987 
#1 ·
Hey guys just wondering how fast can our trucks go without the govenor on it. I know you can adjust the govenor with the programmers. Just
wondering how fast people got to.
Thanks Nate

#3 ·
Fast enough to shred the tires and subsequently die from the thrill. :158:
If this is something you're considering, make sure you spend the $ on the shoes first. We like our members alive so they can share their experiences. :smileup:

#4 ·
Haha not thinking of doing it just wondering what it could. For bragging rights of course haha. I usually drive about five to ten over and usually have a baby seat in the back so I will never do it just wanted to see what it could do. Which I am sure some of you guys on here that have a different situation then I do(not married and without kids haha) have done it. Just wondered what the results were.

#6 ·
I hear you on that! I bounced mine today passing a 2 Super B lineup on a 2 lane highway. Didn't really have my foot in it, and the truck felt so smooth and hooked up that I had no idea just how fast until it 'stumbled' slightly, and I realized the speedo was a tad higher than the 'Lose the license for life' mark. :SHOCKED:

Kinda glad the governor was there to remind me that just because it's real smooth and feels good, doesn't mean it's going slow. :doh:

#7 ·
If you read your owners manual there is something called an EDR in our trucks...it's sort of a little black box that you would find in an airplane. In the case of a catastrophic accident it can tell the authorities how fast you were traveling, how far the gas pedal was pressed down, if you had your seat belt on and how hard you pressed on the brake.....big brother is watching.....

#8 ·
Any one know how may 'Start' events are need to clear the EDR of the incriminating data? :)

#9 ·
No, but why? Got something you want to hide...LOL

#10 · (Edited)
there are actually 2 black boxes, one is the accident data recorder & has a very short memory, it is called Event Data Recorder

http://media.mgnetwork.com/blackbox/
everything is covered, EXCEPT, in some States, they have to tell you that one is in the vehicle when you buy it, & there is way to OPT out
This black box has been in many vehicles since 1994

the 2nd black box is called an SDM
These computers, called sensing and diagnostic modules, are located inside the transmission hump, behind the dashboard, or under the seat, and constantly collect and process data on the car's acceleration or deceleration. Airbag-equipped cars made by General Motors (which owns Cadillac) have had SDMs since 1974.

#12 ·
The factory tires usually have an 'S' speed rating which is 112mph (180kph). I believe this is the greatest influence on the governed speed.

If yours has an 'R' rating = 106mph / 170kph
or a 'T' rating - 118mph / 190kph

If you want to go real fast, 'V' rated (149/240) or better would be in order....but very pricey! :str:

#13 ·
The factory tires usually have an 'S' speed rating which is 112mph (180kph). I believe this is the greatest influence on the governed speed.

If yours has an 'R' rating = 106mph / 170kph
or a 'T' rating - 118mph / 190kph

If you want to go real fast, 'V' rated (149/240) or better would be in order....but very pricey! :str:
And there is also a big safety margin built into that speed rating as well, as there is in most products.
Its not like if that tire gets to 119MPH it explodes.

I ran motorcycle tires at 60% above there max rated speed just fine, and never once had an issue with them.
I do not recomnd trying it, but just want people to know if they exceed their tires rating by say 10 MPH while passing someone or something, its not just going to explode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.