DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Yellow
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
toddrod will become famous soon enough

Even changing your 'drop-in' air filter to something that flows better can help a little. If you are going to a cai its probably best to go with a system where the filter is enclosed. I have a diy intake and the filter element is open under the hood. I plan to change it out and do something where the filter will catch fresher air as opposed to just air in the engine bay area.
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2011, 08:35 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Crimson Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
DBryant is on a distinguished road

What makes everyone think our Hemi trucks are not making enough HP already. If it was so easy to add HP the factory would do it. There is no way a CAI will add 15 rwhp by itself. All the difference made in the 95 Z28 was more to the gear change to 373's than anything else. Its your truck and your money, spend it any way you like, but most of the mods listed can void your warranty.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:346
crusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBryant View Post
What makes everyone think our Hemi trucks are not making enough HP already. If it was so easy to add HP the factory would do it. There is no way a CAI will add 15 rwhp by itself. All the difference made in the 95 Z28 was more to the gear change to 373's than anything else. Its your truck and your money, spend it any way you like, but most of the mods listed can void your warranty.
so if i get this right, your saying that the dyno test on k&n site is fake or not good? or i got you wrong

as far as cai , i never heard somebody saying that it voided their warranty, iwent to the dealer many times with mine on and they didnt even mention it

a other thing to think of, in a already nearly 400hp vehicule, you wont feel that much difference by adding 15hp(regardless of to way to gain 15hp), specally if it weigths 5400pounds,..

but like i said previously, for me just the sound added by the cai was worth the upgrade

but this only my opinion,
Old 12-31-2011, 11:09 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wait a minute!...there's such a thing as enough horsepower?

LOL!...just kidding of course. In reality I think you're asking a logical question. I've had lots of vehicles and motorcycles over the years, and nearly all of them have been modded from mild to wild. Regardless of the base horsepower, there are different ways to increase power, torque, driveability, or all 3. Some mods can actually increase fuel economy along with a reasonable power increase, and without hurting driveability. Some mods may increase power dramatically, but some of those can come at a cost of a lot of driving enjoyment if the vehicle is used for any normal purpose.

The beauty of an air intake and exhaust mod is that it comes with almost no downside, unless you get crazy with the prices of the components. I was able to get a Borla Turbo muffler installed and did jmr's DIY dual air intake mod. Got it all done for less than $200. If those mods added nothing but a 3% power increase, which is a small amount, it would still put me over 400 horsepower. The thing other than ultimate power, however, might be an improvement in where the available power kicks in and how long it holds that power in the rpm range. Just "fattening up" the powerband can be a very nice addition even without a gain in power. This is something an intake and exhaust mod often does on any street vehicle.

So yes, you can overdo mods to a point where the vehicle isn't as pleasurable to drive, but there are quite a few mods that can be very beneficial to the enjoyment of the vehicle with some noticeable driveability perks.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
... Its your truck and your money, spend it any way you like, but most of the mods listed can void your warranty.
OK - You've mentioned this twice now and it needs clarification. At the very most it has to be proven that your modification CAUSED the failure in order for your warranty claim to be denied. A CAI is a very safe modification because, short of sucking a poor filter into your throttle body, it's not going to do anything detrimental. The same goes for cat-back exhaust mods. Now, you start swapping cams or adding lifts that change the suspension angles and you could get into trouble but only for the affected parts. Adding a lift is not going to void the warranty on the radio! Changing the brake rotors is not going to void the warranty on the transmission! Adding aftermarket seat covers will not affect your paint warranty! Of course, none of this keeps the dealership from initially denying your claim and making things difficult for you. You have to weigh your risks and it helps to be on good terms with your local Service Manager (and vet your future mods with him first to avoid conflicts later).

Re: the OP on CAI's: The stock air box is pretty good. It is fully enclosed and shielded from the heat fairly well. I chose to go with a Volant because I could get their superior (IMHO) PowerCore dry filter which wouldn't, no matter how I tried, fit into the stick air box. It came with a good WOT roar as well!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
anoldbiker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac101 View Post
so kinda been thinking bout purchasing a cai such as a air aid or k and n , but it seems to me that the stock air intake seems pretty well set up, closed from the engine bay unlike most cai that just have a heat shield, stock sucks air from fender, unlike open cai like k and n, seems to me the only thing that the aftermarket would have on these stock intake would be the cone free er flowing filter am i right? or am i missing something here? why people think cai so much better than stuck? whats ur opinion and or the facts behind this?

Your basically right. Most companies who sells CAI's either pulls from the fender and or the engine compartments. They are not a true CAI system.

I researched this in depth and found only one company that has a true CAI, and that's Banks. I have it on my truck. But this system is only for diesel. The filter housing replaces the OEM, it pulls from the fender and they have a nozzle that pulls from under the front fender. Nothing is from the engine compartment. This gives me nothing but the ambient air from outside. The system is good.

The next closest system is the S&B CAI. They draw from the fender well and they also have a nozzle that extends from the bottom of the filter housing. But the opening of this nozzle is short compared to the Banks and can draw some air from the engine compartment.

There is a 3rd option that some have used, and that's called the Home Depot CAI system. They buy the parts from Home Depot and drill a hole in the bottom of the fiber compartment, connect the fittings, routing the opening to pull in cold air. Since the compartment is inclosed, it hide the monstrosity of a set up.

That's about all the choices you have for a TRUE CAI system. As mentioned by the others, you have the options of different filter and such. True CAI systems are somewhat limited to some diesels trucks at this time.

Look for the best filtration of the air with the best flow rate possible.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 2500 cummins
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Blue
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Nickster is on a distinguished road

I did some home work on here about the CAI and ended up putting a Drop in K@N filter into the factory box. I live in the prairies and it gets dusty here. My old truck had a CAI and i was cleaning it every 3 months because it was sucking dust and dirt like mad. At least the factory box keeps it sealed up well and still has good cold airflow. I have only had my K@N drop in filter in for about 6000km but it is still spotless. I didn't notice any gains really but i put it in after about 1000km after buying my truck so i didn't get to know the truck to well with the old filter. It definatly breaths better.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
anoldbiker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster View Post
I did some home work on here about the CAI and ended up putting a Drop in K@N filter into the factory box. I live in the prairies and it gets dusty here. My old truck had a CAI and i was cleaning it every 3 months because it was sucking dust and dirt like mad. At least the factory box keeps it sealed up well and still has good cold airflow. I have only had my K@N drop in filter in for about 6000km but it is still spotless. I didn't notice any gains really but i put it in after about 1000km after buying my truck so i didn't get to know the truck to well with the old filter. It definatly breaths better.

K&N is a good brand, yet many don't like the oil filters for many reasons. Except for my diesel, I have them on everything else I have.

Might I suggest a pre-filter from OutterWear or any company you can find. They pre-filter the air to something like 5 microns before it gets to your K&N material.

I take cross country trips each year and the last trip was through Oklahoma, Texas panhandle, New Mexico and the eastern part of Arizona when the fires were going good when the farmers were plowing for planting. Visibility was very poor. In Vegas I pulled the filter and it was so dirty I couldn't see the filter material.

With a pre-filter would have been a pull the pre-filter, wash it, let it dry and replace. Could have saved me from constantly cleaning my oiled filter. The pre-filter can be used again and again until the elastic is shot or you tear the material. I got them on all my filters now.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:56 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

I like my K&N filter

Old 01-02-2012, 08:48 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Crimson Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
DBryant is on a distinguished road

Guys, a little info on warranties. If the dealer says an aftermarket part (example, lift kit) caused another part (example, wheel bearing) to fail, all they have to do is say it did and you're stuck. You can't force them to do the repairs. What can you do? Hire a lawyer and wait to go to court and try to prove it didn't, while your truck sits and waits for repairs. I don't know about most people, but I can't. Therefore no mods until warranty is up. Just so you know, this very thing happened to me in 1984 on a Chevy Blazer. I paid for the repairs myself after the dealer told me to hire a lawyer.