DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Black1 is on a distinguished road

That is interesting about the cold gas but a bit counterintuitive. Did it work? Engines don't burn liquid gasoline. They burn vapors emitted from liquid gasoline. I'd think cold gas = less vapor = a lean burn. Maybe good for for MPG but I'm not sure about horsepower. It would also cause the engine to run hotter than it should which also reduce power output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul89 View Post
Back in the days when I use to run my Camaro down a quarter mile, a lot of us guys were using cool cans for the fuel line. Basically a large metal can with a coil copper line in it with some water and lots of ice in them to chill the fuel to make it denser. We also were doing the cold air intake into the carburetors’ also believe it or not. Most of the late 60’s sports cars had some type of a cowl or some type hood scoop so apparently auto manufacture new the value of cool air. The designs of Dodge CIA I say in my opinion is not the greatest because on my original air cleaner, there was no force air from outside the engine compact, only outside source of air thru the fender. So now you cooler gas coming into the carburetor and cool air outside the engine compartment…..Better combustion. I would believe in everyday driving if you get better combustion, I would think you would get some better mpg.
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2012, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:20
Paul89 is on a distinguished road

Never said engines ran on liquid gas.....
Reducing fuel temperature will get you a denser air-fuel mixture though the carburetor. Cool, dense fuel will increase horsepower. More horse power better time at the 1/4 mile. All I'm saying there are ways to increase hp and mpg because they have been proven. Not saying big increses like some company states but there is some. Do I ran a cool can in my truck....no for I don't take it to the strip. If I did I would consider it. back then we made these but now buy them from any speed shop online. If you have a 1/4 mile track in your area go talk to some of the guys in the pit and ask them. They tell ya some of their tricks and then some.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:44 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul89 View Post
Back in the days when I use to run my Camaro down a quarter mile, a lot of us guys were using cool cans for the fuel line. Basically a large metal can with a coil copper line in it with some water and lots of ice in them to chill the fuel to make it denser. We also were doing the cold air intake into the carburetors’ also believe it or not. Most of the late 60’s sports cars had some type of a cowl or some type hood scoop so apparently auto manufacture new the value of cool air. The designs of Dodge CIA I say in my opinion is not the greatest because on my original air cleaner, there was no force air from outside the engine compact, only outside source of air thru the fender. So now you cooler gas coming into the carburetor and cool air outside the engine compartment…..Better combustion. I would believe in everyday driving if you get better combustion, I would think you would get some better mpg.
i am from those days and what you could do back then does not work now. we didn't have to deal with the electronics of today.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:13 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman - Rambox
Color: Black Crystal - Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
wvcoolvinilla will become famous soon enough

OK let's clear the air here folks.. about cool cans.. biggest use was to keep vapor locak at bay.. hot summer day at the drag strip.. Ed Hamberger who was the national record holder for ever actually built an intake manifold that held dry ice to cool the fuel.. as far as CIA's as long as you are asking the air to be introduced from the engine compartment then "Cold Air Intake" not so much. Chrysler's dyno work in the 70's said you must introduce cold air from the outside at sufficent force to help atomize the fuel mixture..anyone of the folks selling CIA's that can lay claim to proven DYNO charts post 'em up
Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Ram QC
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Cool Vanilla
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
oldtin is on a distinguished road

I have the Mopar performance CAI and it was a waste of money. Lots of noise and lost some bottom end HP!!