DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Gloss Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:141
Darkknight3829 will become famous soon enoughDarkknight3829 will become famous soon enough
Cool Need Help/Torque Converter issues

Just finished installing my Breakaway torque converter on my 2010 dodge ram 1500 4.7L with a 545 RFE trans. works beautifully accept the transition from 2 gear to 3 gear, the rpm's do not drop down low enough. When i am on the highway going about 65-70 mph my RPM'S are pretty high. sitting at 2,200rpm compared to the 1700 rpm's i was getting with my stock converter. I was just wanting answers to that. It just doesnt seem right. Theres something going on between 2nd and 3rd gear. What do you all think i should do about it? I have a diablo trinity tuner. Maybe a reprogramming or a special tune? or is it something with the transmission itself
AirAid Intake System, PowerAid Throttle body spacer, SuperChips Flashpaq, Edge RacingTorque Converter, Straight Through Exhaust, Mechanical fan delete, ATI Super Damper, MT Street ET Drag Radial Tires
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

At 65-70 mph I'd expect you to be in lockup (TCC engaged), so the converter stall speed, etc. shouldn't make any difference.

You're only in 3rd gear at 65-70 mph? Why not 4th or 5th gear? The trans only does what the PCM tells it to do, so I suspect your Diablo "tuner" may be the cause (although I'm unfamiliar with all the aftermarket tuners, so I don't know for sure just what they affect).
Old 01-03-2012, 10:49 AM

Darkknight3829 will become famous soon enoughDarkknight3829 will become famous soon enough

No im sorry for the misunderstanding, no when im traveling 70mph its in 5th, but when its picking up speed to 5th gear the transition from 2nd to 3rd is what seems odd. The transition is not happening at 70 mph.
AirAid Intake System, PowerAid Throttle body spacer, SuperChips Flashpaq, Edge RacingTorque Converter, Straight Through Exhaust, Mechanical fan delete, ATI Super Damper, MT Street ET Drag Radial Tires
Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 AM

Yes i thought it should lock up at that speed but it doesn't seem able to.rpms remain high
Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 PM

TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Don't know quite what to tell you. I don't know how your tuner is affecting things. You could drive it with a dealer tech (with a scan tool). They could then monitor your gear and TCC state to see what's going on. TCC should be able to lockup at high speeds with no problem. If that's not happening, then the first question is: Is the PCM actually commanding the TCC to lockup or not? If not, then it's a PCM / tuner issue, not a trans problem.

As far as the 2-3 shift, again check it with a scan tool to confirm it's really a 2-3 shift you're feeling, and then check the level of converter slip before and after the shift. It may be you just have a lot more converter slip (in 3rd) than you used to (due to your new converter), giving you higher-than-normal engine speed. If the trans was slipping, it should set a fault code.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 PM

I forgot to mention. When im going 65 mph the engine will sit at around 2000 rpms, but then every now and then the rpms will drop to about 1700 for about 3 seconds. Then the check engine light turns on and the rpms shoot back up to 2000 rpms

Trouble code:

P0740

TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH SOLENIOD CIRCUIT/ OPEN
Old 01-03-2012, 01:03 PM

Ill look into contacting a dealer tech with a scan tool. By the way I appreciate the time your taking to help me out. Learning some new things
Old 01-03-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight3829 View Post
I forgot to mention. When im going 65 mph the engine will sit at around 2000 rpms, but then every now and then the rpms will drop to about 1700 for about 3 seconds. Then the check engine light turns on and the rpms shoot back up to 2000 rpms

Trouble code:

P0740

TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH SOLENIOD CIRCUIT/ OPEN
Well, yes, that is an important piece of information!

P0740 means the PCM commanded full TCC engagement (zero slip), but the TCC was not able to actually achieve it, even at max duty cycle on the TCC control solenoid. This indicates a problem in one of the following:
  • Torque converter (internal)
  • TCC control solenoid
  • TCC control solenoid wiring
  • TCC control valves (in the pump)
Usually, if the solenoid or wiring is bad, you will also get other faults (for the solenoid circuit being open, etc.). So I doubt that's your problem. If you just replaced the converter, maybe your new one is bad. Or, did you replace it for this same problem (P0740)? If so, maybe you have a sticky control valve in the pump (so replacing the converter didn't fix it).
Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 PM

The reason for the installation of the new converter was for a higher stall speed for racing. The code began happening after we installed the aftermarket torque converter from TCI part number 141600. My stall is at 2500 now compared to the 1500 with the stock converter. Worked completely fine with the stock converter of course. Now this issue is coming up. My thoughts were that it may have something to do with the trucks computer. Since i also have a Diablo Trinity Programmer installed also.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:55 PM

P0740 means that the PCM is cranking the TCC control solenoid up to its max possible pressure, but the TCC still cannot achieve full lockup (zero slip). So your engine torque is exceeding the capacity of your TCC. I can't tell you whether that's because the engine torque is too high (due to your Diablo programmer - I have no idea what it does) or the TCC in your new converter is too weak.

Look at the driver's side of your trans bellhousing, just below the upper cooler line. Do you have two small pipe plugs there? If so, you can connect a mechanical pressure gauge (to these taps) to confirm what your TCC apply pressure is running. The upper front plug is TCC release pressure. The lower rear plug is TCC apply pressure. When you're in TCC mode, release pressure should be near zero. Apply pressure (in full lockup) should be close to line pressure (100-120 psi at heavy throttle would be my guess). If your apply pressure is OK but you still get a P0740, then either your engine is too strong, or your converter (TCC) is too weak.