DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Gloss Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:141
Darkknight3829 will become famous soon enoughDarkknight3829 will become famous soon enough

I believe i discovered the plug. Now have to look into the mechanical gauge. I'll do some research to find out. Also i will try to find the specs for what the tuner actually does. Let me ask you this though. If this continues, will my transmission or anything else suffer a catastrophic failure?
AirAid Intake System, PowerAid Throttle body spacer, SuperChips Flashpaq, Edge RacingTorque Converter, Straight Through Exhaust, Mechanical fan delete, ATI Super Damper, MT Street ET Drag Radial Tires
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2012, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight3829 View Post
I believe i discovered the plug. Now have to look into the mechanical gauge. I'll do some research to find out. Also i will try to find the specs for what the tuner actually does. Let me ask you this though. If this continues, will my transmission or anything else suffer a catastrophic failure?
Not a catastrophic failure - more like a slow death....

When you set a P0740 fault, the PCM disables TCC engagement. That means your TCC never locks up at all. That means you are generating extra heat inside the converter much of the time (whenever it would normally be locked up). That means that, on an extended drive, it gets very easy to overheat the transmission. Trans life goes down as temp goes up, so while this will not cause an immediate failure, it will definitely hasten your transmission's demise.

So for normal, short trips around town, no problem. You will lose fuel economy (due to no TCC) but you won't really damage anything. But long road trips would be unhealthy for your trans. And please don't do any towing (or run on steep grades) if you can avoid it. Those will cook your trans pretty quick if you can't lock the TCC to help cool things off. Again, when I say "cook your trans" I don't mean sudden failure - but your trans may only last, say 50K miles instead of 150K.

So bottom line: This is not something that absolutely must be fixed immediately, but you definitely want to get it corrected within the next few months if you can.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Being that it happened with the new TC install, it is almost certainly the TC. Do you know if that TC is a stock converter that is modified? Many times the "cheaper" aftermarket converters are cheaper for a reason, and the clutch can't handle the torque from the engine. I just googled that converter and it seems pretty inexpensive so I would bet that the clutch is simply not enough to handle the torque from the engine, especially with mods(the tuner probably adds around 60 lb ft of torque max, and 30 lb ft peak). Often times too they use a converter of smaller diameter to get a higher stall (like one from a car) and modify it to fit. The problem here is you drastically reduce clutch surface area...

I would pull the converter out and stick the stock one back in (or another like a billet aftermarket one), change the fluid (due to the reasons TE described above about heat and trans life and fluid life). Spend another $150-200 now and save thousands later...JMO.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:01 PM

Darkknight3829 will become famous soon enoughDarkknight3829 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Sean, so basically it isnt worth it at the end. I guess i am stuck on the power it delivers compared to the stock. So ok, i was thinking that TCI was a pretty reliable brand. Its just such a hassle dropping that trans. I wanted to be sure that it wasn't going to work. So i should just try selling the TCI converter?
AirAid Intake System, PowerAid Throttle body spacer, SuperChips Flashpaq, Edge RacingTorque Converter, Straight Through Exhaust, Mechanical fan delete, ATI Super Damper, MT Street ET Drag Radial Tires
Old 01-03-2012, 04:05 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Being that it happened with the new TC install, it is almost certainly the TC. Do you know if that TC is a stock converter that is modified? Many times the "cheaper" aftermarket converters are cheaper for a reason, and the clutch can't handle the torque from the engine. I just googled that converter and it seems pretty inexpensive so I would bet that the clutch is simply not enough to handle the torque from the engine, especially with mods(the tuner probably adds around 60 lb ft of torque max, and 30 lb ft peak). Often times too they use a converter of smaller diameter to get a higher stall (like one from a car) and modify it to fit. The problem here is you drastically reduce clutch surface area...

I would pull the converter out and stick the stock one back in (or another like a billet aftermarket one), change the fluid (due to the reasons TE described above about heat and trans life and fluid life). Spend another $150-200 now and save thousands later...JMO.
Sean,

Good point! Being "production minded" I hadn't considered the fact that this new converter is likely a smaller diameter. The TCC capacity is directly related to the disc diameter, so unless they're using a double-sided disc (or multi-disc) TCC, a smaller converter will have significantly less capacity.

Maybe the name "Breakaway" is a reference to what happens when you open the throttle with the TCC engaged....
Old 01-03-2012, 04:18 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thanks Sean, so basically it isnt worth it at the end. I guess i am stuck on the power it delivers compared to the stock. So ok, i was thinking that TCI was a pretty reliable brand. Its just such a hassle dropping that trans. I wanted to be sure that it wasn't going to work. So i should just try selling the TCI converter?
Well, TCI can be a good brand....but just like a lot of times there are good products and bad products from the same manufacturer. I just made a quick judgement on your converter based on the first price tag I saw on google.... post the specifics on your converter and I'll look at it at home tonight and see if it is in fact what I'm thinking...

Old 01-03-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Maybe the name "Breakaway" is a reference to what happens when you open the throttle with the TCC engaged....
And sorry to laugh at your pain, but this comment was funny!

Also, to rule one more thing out, you should tune the truck back to 100% stock and see if it still has the issue. That will at least rule out the programmer.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:42 PM

Haha ya i smirked at that comment to .

Here is the link to the torque converter.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/5-45rfe-20...converter.html

Where would i go to get my computer reprogrammed to complete stock?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Where would i go to get my computer reprogrammed to complete stock?
Maybe I misread but I thought you had a diablo predator? You can do it yourself if you do... I'll look at that link this evening.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:48 PM

Its a single disc converter. Just spoke to a guy from TCI. He said that it should handle the horsepower with no problem. I have a feeling though he wasn't to educated on the problem.