DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:17
bobwires is on a distinguished road
Default Bobwires Killer Audio System

Hello All

I'm a stereo guy, and here's my shop truck in the works. It's going to be tuned up for some serious sound quality, with some crazy bass thrown in there as well.

I'm installing a Sony head, JL Slash amps, Hybrid Legatia speakers, and DD 8" subs.

Box comes first. (2) DD 1508's at 2.2ft3 tuned to 34hz.

I'm keeping it really simple, no molding into any trim or anything.

STP Gold deadener

3" PVC for ports. This box is tuned at the advice of Ray West - a serious SPL guy.

Gooped up good. I did put a brace in the middle, by the way.

Nice even glue dripping. I hate caulking the back seam, and on this box it would be impossible. I opted for a buttload of wood glue instead of gorilla.

This box is screwed along the side edges. This is the first box I've screwed together since I was 17 and got a compressor and nail gun.... I did it because I want to put a pretty large radius on the sides and not risk screwing up my honking router bit. Those puppies aren't cheap.

Plaster for the shape. I'm sick of slaving away on bondo..... well actually I just had all day to tinker on 3 different things, so I figured I had the time to wait for plaster to dry and I could take advantage of it's ease of sanding. It's plenty tough for this job.

Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2012, 10:36 PM

Seat all the way back

Scooted up where I actually drive this thing. I sit farther forward than usual because of the long clutch travel.

I considered doing these end caps several different ways, with several different shapes, but here's what I did. I rounded all the edges, but kept the insert corners sharp. top and bottom of the box are 3/4" radius, sides are actually a 1-1/4" radius but not with the bit all the way down. I think it will look pretty cool.

I was also going to do the port insert later, but figured I'd just hog it out and fill it all up/in when the insert is removed. I'll level out the side with the ports quite a ways. It's coming along nicely but leaving my shop in the biggest cloud of dust I've had in a long time. Not since I was sanding plaster with my 8" rotary on the display.

The ridiculous cloud of dust.

In retrospect, the plaster wasn't even close to strong enough for this aggressive of an insert, So i knocked the end caps off and redid the profiles with duraglass.

I couldn't help it, had to shoot some primer. I'll get the last bit of filler on there and have it blocked out and wrapped up as soon as I can....

Old 01-02-2012, 10:36 PM

I blasted them with Urethane primer today. I had some sitting around thickening up.... figured I'd use it to black out the box.

I'm not going to wrap it until I have the console built and the transitions figured out.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Deep Molten Red/white gold trim
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
Cobrajr is on a distinguished road

Oh wow, thats VERY nice!
It is going to be nice to have those 2 speakers sitting a few inches away from you

I am running 2 10" subs @ 400W RMS in my current car... my new Quad Cab RAM is only going to have 1 9" sub, not sure what its at... I don't know how well I am going to adjust to that lol.

Mods: Smittybilt Streetbar - 2 PIAA 520 fogs - 2 PIAA 520 ATPs
Planned: K&N CAI - Mufflex DOD18 - replace headlights with 2013 projector headlights - BT Catch can - Cabin Air Filter - 5100 level lift - More!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work....very nice work!

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 01-03-2012, 12:55 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
Nice work....very nice work!
+1 Can't wait to see this project completed. Too bad your so far away as I'd love to hear it in person!

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:26 PM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajr View Post
Oh wow, thats VERY nice!
It is going to be nice to have those 2 speakers sitting a few inches away from you

I am running 2 10" subs @ 400W RMS in my current car... my new Quad Cab RAM is only going to have 1 9" sub, not sure what its at... I don't know how well I am going to adjust to that lol.
This is a little different that sticking a pair of subs behind the seat. I'm really into box design, and I even consulted a real expert (Serious SPL competitior) for this one. It's tuned up to get the best response in this particular truck. Forward firing subs, side firing port, loaded off the side wall. I expect to hit 145 DB with a pair of 8's.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice build sir. Been checking out your logs over at DIYMA too. Everyone can trust this guy, he's good.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:31 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Gotta love the DD stuff...

Id imagine with Ray throwing his hand in this (design wise) you will at some point put it on a TL and get a score?

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 01-11-2012, 02:22 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:10
MeetMeAtThePark is on a distinguished road

That's impressive right there, nice build on the box. Hope to see some video of it to get an idea what it sounds like.