DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 dodge ram 1500 big horn
Color: black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
jordglynn is on a distinguished road
Exclamation transmission range sensor

My dodge has about 113,000 miles on it and its throwin a transmission range sensor code. I was parked on a level surface and i shifted into drive, my selector went from D to 2 and shit back to reverse. The shifter never moved other than wen I shifted it. Any ideas on wats goin on?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

sorry.. shot back*
Old 01-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

The P0706 Trans Range Sensor Rationality fault indicates an invalid PRNDL code.

The range sensor has 5 pins, which ride against a code plate. The code plate is steel, with plastic strips molded onto its surface. The code plate moves back and forth as you move the shift lever. The 5 pins are either grounded (when touching the steel) or not grounded (when they ride onto one of the plastic areas). The PCM can tell what shift lever position you're in by seeing which pins are grounded and ungrounded.

There are 12 valid PRNDL positions: P, R, N, D, 2, and 1, plus 5 transition zones (T1 thru T5; T1 is in between P and R, T2 is in between R and N, etc.). And Neutral actually has two different codes (N1 and N2) which correspond to the two halves of the N range. So that makes 12 total "valid" codes. But with 5 pins, 2 states each, the number of total possible codes is 2^5 = 32. So the twenty other codes (other than the 12 valid ones) are INVALID codes - they should never happen. P0706 means that the PCM read an invalid code from your range sensor.

Most likely, this was due to either a wiring problem (broken wire or one with a bad connection), or debris on top of the code plate (metal sliver that momentarily shorted one of the [ungrounded] pins to ground, or non-metallic debris that momentarily lifted one of the [grounded] pins off the plate). The changes in PRNDL state that you saw were likely due to two or more pins momentarily changing state (due to bad connection, or debris).

If everything's OK now, don't worry about it. If you continue to have issues, you might try disconnecting and reconnecting the main transmission harness (driver's side) to see if that cleans up and flaky connections. If you still have issues, then you probably need to drop the pan and valve body and check for debris on top of the VB (where the code plate is).

By the way, the range sensor pins are part of the solenoid pack (they are on a wing that sticks off of one end of the solenoid housing). But these problems are NOT usually caused by any defect in the sensor (or solenoid module) itself. They are typically wiring problems or debris.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Could that cause it to shift hard too? We cleared the codes and drove it a couple miles then came back to the shop and plugged it in an it threw the code again. Were also gettin a low line pressure code.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:05 AM

TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

I wouldn't think a PRNDL fault would affect shift quality, unless you're talking garage shifts (Park to Reverse, Neutral to Drive, etc.).

Do you notice the PRNDL display showing ALL positions at once (boxes around all the positions, not just one)? If you're reading an invalid PRNDL code, then the display should have ALL the positions highlighted. If the display looks normal, then the invalid code must only exist for brief periods (when you're not looking). It only has to exist for 28 milliseconds to set the code.

The low line pressure fault (P0868) is not a good omen. You might want to have a dealer tech check it with a scan tool to see what your line pressure is running. It should match the Desired Line Pressure value (within a few psi) all the time, except it's OK if the LP is lower when you're at idle. But as soon as you tip into the throttle, the LP should come up to match the Desired reading.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

ALL the gears lit up. And wen im accelerating the truck will shift and the whole truck will jolt forward and kinda catch, also I was unloading a deer stand the other day and as i backed up to the shop I had to go to 4 high keep from spinning my tires and potentially gettin stuck, as i came out of the grass i hit the pavemant and my truck started catching (still in reverse at this point) so i got out and looked and my right rear didnt spin at all. Idk wats goin on, but im thankful i have $300 back up car.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 AM

That doesn't sound good. Probably time to have a shop take a look at it. The transmission wouldn't cause one of your wheels to hang up, but sounds like you have trans issues also. I would inspect the wiring first, then if that looks OK, drop the pan and VB and check for debris. May be time to pull the whole thing and tear it down.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
LEW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordglynn View Post
ALL the gears lit up. And wen im accelerating the truck will shift and the whole truck will jolt forward and kinda catch, also I was unloading a deer stand the other day and as i backed up to the shop I had to go to 4 high keep from spinning my tires and potentially gettin stuck, as i came out of the grass i hit the pavemant and my truck started catching (still in reverse at this point) so i got out and looked and my right rear didnt spin at all. Idk wats goin on, but im thankful i have $300 back up car.
I have no clue what's causing your problem, BUT I wouldn't be concerned about the "right rear" not spinning if it had better traction than the left due to the "unlocked" differential. Unfortunately, the wheel with the least traction will spin.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Best trani guy we got charges a grand for a rebuild... I just sold my nissan tonight and the guy iis a couple hours south. So this will be fun, thanks guys.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

And yes it is garage shifts, i put in reverse last night and it wouldnt move so I put it in drive then reverse again and it popped into gear and jumped then started goin. Later it went from D to 2 and into reverse again.