DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 1995-1997 318ci (5.2L) Natural Gas V8 200hp 430lb/ft
Rep:10
X3RX3SRagDoll is on a distinguished road
Angry Overheating

Ok so ive replaced all the gaskets, all the hoses, the clutch fan, the water pump, the radiator, and the thermostat and it is STILL overheating, but only when im sitting still like at a red light or when im stop go stop go in traffic. Also I dont know if this has anything to do with it but when I turn my A/C on it does nothing but blow hot air.
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Sure sounds like a fan issue....AC not blowing cold makes sense if it had a fan not working properly as the condenser is not pulling air through to cool it. Are you sure you put the thermostat in the correct way, with the correct orientation? This does matter. Also could be air purged in the coolant. To make sure all the air is out of the system do this: Lift front of vehicle slightly so that radiator cap is elevated. With engine cold, unscrew radiator cap, start engine, turn the temperature knob as hot as it goes, and switch the vent selector to the floor. let the engine get to operating temperature, as the thermostat opens and closes, the coolant will flow through the engine and throught the heater core and should purge all air to the highest point (radiator cap opening). Let it run at operating temp for 5 min then you should have all air out. It's gotta be either the fan, the thermostat, water pump, or air in the system...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Engine: 1995-1997 318ci (5.2L) Natural Gas V8 200hp 430lb/ft
X3RX3SRagDoll is on a distinguished road

I burped the hose the other day because I have a gurgling noise through the dash when I start the truck but it stops shortly after I drive it for a few mins. When I get the first chance I'll do as you suggested because everything has been replaced and is new trying to solve this problem.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
pkmachinegun is on a distinguished road

funny story, i have all the same symptoms in my truck but i dont get gurgling in the dash...ive only replaced the water pump because thats what ive had time for. i do beleive that there is a leak somewhere in my cooling system (ive seen heavy moisture coming from the hose coming out of the top of my water pump) because i carry distilled water in my truck so when it does decide to get above 210 i can just top it off....unfortunately im deploying here in a few days so i dont have time to fix it before i go.... =/
Old 12-31-2011, 08:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram CC
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Ram10tuff is on a distinguished road

Just a shot in the dark... Try flushing the heater core. Does the truck have good heat?? Did ac work before this problem started? You spens some bucks changing all of that for nothing to work there has to be something your missing
Old 12-31-2011, 08:51 PM

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Take it to a car wash and blow out radiator, we have to do that with our co. trucks once a y ear. Also I agree on core clean out.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:27 AM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: WS
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:103
panhead will become famous soon enoughpanhead will become famous soon enough

Have you tried replacing the temperature sensor? They do go bad and I would try a new sensor since you had revamped the cooling system. With the items you replaced, it should run at normal temps.

I am completely disgusted every time I think about having to take a distributor cap off of one of these trucks -Screamintrashcan
Old 01-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

having a 1997 Ram, i would suggest going to a good radiator shop, have them run the tests, usually it is FREE, they want your business

a 10 year old radiator has to be partially blocked

If it is, you can pull it yourself & save money, or have them pull it
they will tell you when they do the tests, whether it needs RODDING OUT, or replacing
A new radiator costs about $170 just to give you an idea, it may be less through the radiator shop
Rodding Out should be less
Labor cost is the killer, so if you do it yourself, you would save a bit
have the shop tell you if you need new hoses
also have them flush the heater core
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle