DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
CHADDER03 is on a distinguished road
Default I've got a problem

when driving slow and normal everything is fine, but if i stomp on the throttle a bit from a stop only, forward or back i hear an awful "snap" sound. it sounds like its coming from around the trans or t-case area but its hard to tell from in the truck. everything seems tight but something is definatly wrong. bear in mind i am on 37's so they might be the cause of what ever is wrong but i cant figure out what exactly is making the sound. any help at all would be great.
thanks in advance
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2011, 07:27 PM

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:31
charlieb is on a distinguished road

i have same problem i have chased different things down but dont know for sure.i am guessing now its the drive shaft yoke into tranny a little slop or something cause the rear end is definetly tight as well as my u joints.thats just my guess.not sure an easy way to test this theory.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 PM
erm

That does not sound good. Have you checked the U-Joints?
Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my vote for U-joint.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 05-18-2011, 11:41 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

My first impulse is to agree with Brad and Maddog but is there a chance you've got a loose mount?

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:50 PM

ive checked for play in the u joints and theres nothing, no squealing or whining sounds. and i only hear the real snap or crack sound when i step on it a little harder from a dead stop. under normal conditions theres no noise at all. and once in a while i can feel a bit of a lurch when putting it in drive from park or neutral
Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

The more I think about this with those 37's on her your loading up the entire drive line due to the amount of grip and tire weight you have. If you have a weak bushing in any of the mounts or a loose mount somewhere in the drive line the torque load would be enough to roll the components and cause it to bottom out or make metal on metal contact giving you a snapping sound. Usually a u-joint with give the tell tale "clunk" when dropping it into gear, reverse is generally worse than drive. Back in my mechanic days I've seen some bad ujoints but never anything that would give a snap when stomping on the throttle.
Now thinking this even deeper once in gear your drive line is "loaded" so any slop in a ujoint will be taken up. The only other thing I could see possibly happening is the splines on the output shaft of the tranny are toast and slipping a tooth at a time.
Does it feel like something slipping or is it tight and you just get a snapping sound?

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Checking the u-joints for 'tightness' is only part of the test. Normally when a u-joint is in pre-failure, it is tight....to tight. This is one of the reasons they often make a snapping sound. You have to remove the driveshaft to check them. They need to feel smooth, and normally, they will swivel very easily with no play if they are good.

If they test out OK, then I would be checking everything Stump3r mentioned, with special attention to the yoke where it slips into the trans/t-case. This can be tested when re-installing the driveshaft after checking the u-joints. The yoke should slip in smooth and easy, and after about the first inch, there should virtually no looseness to it.

If that all checks out, then it off to checking the pinion shaft, trans/t-case mounts, etc, etc.

This is one of those things that would be so much easier to diagnose in person. LOL

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 05-19-2011, 12:39 AM

thanks for the help guys. stumpr3 its a tight hard snap theres not really any sloppiness. and if i take off normally its fine and if i mash it once im rolling its fine just when im at a stop foward and reverse and mash it a bit it really cracks. im really lost but i have an app tomorrow at the dealership im just really nervous if they will still warranty it with a 6 inch lift and 37s
Old 01-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
Soccg4 is on a distinguished road

Chadder03-

Did you find out what the issue was?