DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
darowden is on a distinguished road
Default Question for 2011 4.7L 6 spd auto trans owners

Guys i just bought a new 2011 1500 ST crew cab with the 4.7L and auto 6 spd transmission. The build sheet says I have a 3.55 rear end, and it is the ST but has all the option trailer towing package stuff, which was what I wanted.

I love the truck so far, but one issue I have noticed since I drove it off the dealer lot is a noticeable gear whine in the first two gears. It may be present after that, but the factory mufflers are just load enough to drown it out at higher speeds if it is. It sound kind of like the whine you hear when you put a car in reverse and back up fast with a manual transmission, except maybe not so loud.

So i took it to the service department, they checked out the transmission, checked fluid levels, all ok they said. So we drove another new 4.7 ST Crew cab with the 6 speed, and it made the same whine. So they concluded it's normal. I know my last two trucks, an 07 F150 and 07 Tundra didn't make this noise, and neither does my 08 Durango.

Does anybody else have any experience with this? It's just loud enough to be noticeable to me up to 20-30 mph. I can live with it, but just want to be sure it's really a normal thing with these, maybe the Dodge 6 speeds do this?

Thanks for any input on this.

Dave

Last edited by darowden; 01-06-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

I had a similarWhine in mine and it was actually the rear end. It was replaced under warranty. I thought at first it could be the tranny, but since the new rear end all is good.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

How many miles did you go before they had to replace it and what was the criteria, just the noise?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

I had 34,000 km on mine when i took it in (i had just bought it used), and they fixed it right away. they obviously heard the noise when they road tested it. it took them four days to fix it properly, but the noise seems to be gone now.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Does the whine noise change with engine speed, or with vehicle speed? For example, does the pitch change significantly at the 1-2 shift? If so, then it could be transmission pump whine (or something in the engine accessory drive, like power steering pump or alternator). If it only changes with vehicle speed, then it's likely transfer case or axle noise.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
Does the whine noise change with engine speed, or with vehicle speed? For example, does the pitch change significantly at the 1-2 shift? If so, then it could be transmission pump whine (or something in the engine accessory drive, like power steering pump or alternator). If it only changes with vehicle speed, then it's likely transfer case or axle noise.
mine changed with speed, but was most noitceable under acceleration (or load) than under deceleration. also when i shifted to nuetral when i heard the howl(most prominent at speeds over 80 km) the whine would go away.

I thought for sure a wheel bearing or something else, but since the new rear end seems to be all but gone.

I have noticed one other interesting thing about this tranny. first gear seems to rev out nice, but once it shifts to second, it definately seems to shift too low int othe RPMs and feels almost bogged out until it winds out again. not sure if it is a design issue, or if it is related to my truck specifically, but i dont like the 1-2 shift.

Last edited by primo spaghetti; 01-09-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post

It changes with engine speed, the pitch changes at shift as you described.

Is pump whine normal? It does have the heavy duty cooling as an option.

It just sounds like an electric car plus engine noise in my opinion, in the first two gears.

Last edited by darowden; 01-10-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:45 PM

TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by darowden View Post
It changes with engine speed, the pitch changes at shift as you described.

Is pump whine normal? It does have the heavy duty cooling as an option.

It just sounds like an electric car plus engine noise in my opinion, in the first two gears.
Some pump whine is normal, especially at higher engine speeds, but usually you have to really listen to hear it. It's not really blatant.

Can you hear it at idle with the hood open? Does it seem to come from the trans, or from the front of the engine?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Not sure about with the hood open, have not tried that yet, but I will.

However I did listen with the truck idling in park, and the whine is there. Idling in park, when I rev the engine, the noise increases along with the engine RPM, not louder, but the speed of it. It is loud enough that it is quite noticeable to me.

I wonder if I should wait until the first 3000 mile oil change to get a second dealer to listen to it, or bring it in right away. I'm at about 1300 miles right now. I am starting to wonder if the dealer that6 sold it to me knew about it. It was a new truck, but it had 500 miles on it.

It is quite an annoying noise. Definitely goes up and down with engine RPM though.

ETA forgot to add, when I am sitting in the vehicle it sounds like it's coming from the transmission.
I'll try having someone run the engine up to 2000 RPM and stand outside and listen.

Last edited by darowden; 01-10-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 AM

Also, double-check your fluid levels (transmission and power steering). Extremely low fluid level can cause excessive pump noise.