DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT-Big Horn
Color: Blue, Sexy Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:66
seanbeckaroo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling archer View Post
Ditto, but only 23K on mine. However, I have a 2010 1/2....it was built in April 2010. That doesn't necessarily alleviate my concerns over these rear ends. I planned on going to 4.56, so I didn't get the extended warranty either and I'm also not the original owner. Good news, if it starts giving me trouble, I'll trade it (or private sale) since it's paid for. My problem is that the Ram is the best looking full size out there. I like the Chevy brand, but I personally think the trucks are ugly. I refuse to drive a Ford and I'd rather not buy foreign (never have), but the Tundra's are nice looking.

Still....it makes me wonder when they exactly figured out when the pinion nut needed a retainer (or at least some loctite). I would think most 2010's were built in 09 and having a second run of these trucks, I'm very curious as to what changed and whether or not I should be concerned about this rear end...
I look at it this way; it took Dodge 2 years to even acknowledge there was a problem. Now they are forced to issue a recall. They look at certain procedures and see what will be cheapest for the company. I know my pinion nut backed off, caused my seal to leak @ 60k miles. Luckily I caught it before it got worse. It is not in the recall dates, as mine was built 1/09. Have you ever seen a recall expanded? Certainly. In the end, I bet we see this expanded to include all 09's 10's. Have it checked out to alleviate your concerns, I did, and I was glad I did. Becuase don't for one minute believe that ANY car company has you best intrest in mind; they have their bottom line in mind, simply to avoid class action lawsuits. I've read enough cases to know that getting it checked was the right thing to do, and was necessary, despite what Dodge says. I appreciate all the information I haved received from this forum.
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:10
sterling archer is on a distinguished road

Yea, I definitely agree that being proactive in this instance is a must. Was just curious....
Old 12-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB
Trim Level: Express
Color: Bright white
Rep:435
Outlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really nice

I've had 3 diff failures. 2 due to pinion nut backing off and one due to carrier bearing grenading the diff.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:12
jg-gonzo is on a distinguished road

I have had this happen at 70mph, see the thread new guy wild ride. Its been awhile since I've been on here.
Just wanted to let people know this has warranted a recall, they are supposed to start notifying owners in March.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...ge-dakota.html
Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

Why would you install a castle nut that is supposed to be used with a cotter key and does not have interference fit, instead of a pinch/compression/actual pinion nut that does have a compression fit??? I think this could so simple as manufactor using wrong nut on the pinion. I have NEVER, except now, seen a castle nut used as a pinion nut.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge ram 1500 Sport
Color: Crytal pearl black
DJS1213 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstate48 View Post
I have a 2010 Ram, and you guys are scarring me to death. I've got 23,000 miles. Anyone have a truck that the drive shaft DIDN'T fall off? Thanks Doug
I lost my drive shaft and blew my whole rear end at 27,000 km. just driving down the road to tim hortons.. Gears damaged too. They said its cause of the 4" lift.. Ive also had to replace about 4 T-case seals, 2 engine oil filter seals(drained whole tank of oil in 2 days) oh and a CV joint at 3000km

Good times.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhp View Post
Why would you install a castle nut that is supposed to be used with a cotter key and does not have interference fit, instead of a pinch/compression/actual pinion nut that does have a compression fit??? I think this could so simple as manufactor using wrong nut on the pinion. I have NEVER, except now, seen a castle nut used as a pinion nut.
I got the recall in the mail yesterday. So can this be fixed by a DIY in the garage? I would just like to know the procedure so I can take a look and fix it right. Do I have to wait for the dealer to do this
Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Red
faitdushred is on a distinguished road

Picked up my 2013 with 9 km on the od then had tires swapped at 500km driving home rear driver side tire flew off. Dumb asses forgot to tighten my lug nuts. I went in went ape sh*t on them walked out next day with a leveling kit wheels and a set of trail grapplers.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Connie09 is on a distinguished road

That mite of been the same thing that happend to my truck .... it was a recall defcet on the truck they should of paid for the towing and the repair they did it for me ....
Old 05-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Dave2011 is on a distinguished road

Received my recall yesterday also