DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

Your probably ok...mine where same way. But being the way I am(????), I put a drop of red Loctite on each of the four bolts.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4X4 Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:2453
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhp View Post
Your probably ok...mine where same way. But being the way I am(????), I put a drop of red Loctite on each of the four bolts.
Thanks, like I said it would really surprise me if any of those four loosened off, there is just no force being put on them that would turn them off. I think I will run with them for a week or so and recheck them. I was glad to see that my Pinion nut is still tight and I have no play on the yoke and no leaks. I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks Craig for your insight into this problem.
BT CC / Hood Kit, LED Tails, Recon 3rd Brake & Xtreme LightBar, Black Aluminum Side Steps, Leer 700, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, MOPAR Valve Caps, Lighted RAM hitch cover, Front Tow Hooks and Bed Post Hide-a-Hooks, Tints (20% frt, 35% rear and slider), Painted Engine Cover/Brake Calipers, K&N Drop in,OEM Fender Flares/ bug deflector, FM 40, SC Cortex, Oracle H11 LED Heads, 4000k Putco Fogs, LED Interior Lights, Honeycomb Grill, Bilstien 5100's.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:29 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:464
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Apparently this is a pretty widespread issue. My dad just passed 50,000 miles on his 2009 and hasn't had any issues, but does anyone know if the 2013s have had any problems with the diffs despite not being mentioned in the recall?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

other than mismarked gearing, nothing has been posted, yet.....
Old 06-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
10ramisport will become famous soon enough

Ok, I also got the recall in the mail but since no parts are available yet and I'm about to move the family from Alaska to Florida, this was my fix. I dropped the driveshaft, made sure the pinion nut was still tight and applied a decent amount of wicking Loctite (used for assembled nuts/bolts up to half inch). I know, the nut is bigger than half inch but this was the only loctite that absorbs into the assembled threads of nut/bolts. Then I staked the nut in three places. Lastly, after the loctite dried, I put JB weld on the exposed thread of the pinion and top of nut. I put the driveshaft back and red loctite the bolts.

I know this may be overkil, but this is my peace of mind for my family on this upcoming road trip. And if Dodge/Chrysler has an issue with it, oh well...Safety First.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:24 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB
Trim Level: Express
Color: Bright white
Rep:435
Outlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ramisport View Post
Ok, I also got the recall in the mail but since no parts are available yet and I'm about to move the family from Alaska to Florida, this was my fix. I dropped the driveshaft, made sure the pinion nut was still tight and applied a decent amount of wicking Loctite (used for assembled nuts/bolts up to half inch). I know, the nut is bigger than half inch but this was the only loctite that absorbs into the assembled threads of nut/bolts. Then I staked the nut in three places. Lastly, after the loctite dried, I put JB weld on the exposed thread of the pinion and top of nut. I put the driveshaft back and red loctite the bolts.

I know this may be overkil, but this is my peace of mind for my family on this upcoming road trip. And if Dodge/Chrysler has an issue with it, oh well...Safety First.

If that nut ever has to come off I feel sorry for the poor sap working on it.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:46 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:464
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

That's a hell of a drive, I wouldn't really say that's overkill. I'd probably check it when I got to Florida too if I were you.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn 4x4
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:11
peppermintpete is on a distinguished road

Rear end exploded on the way to work this morning. Heard a low whirring sound when I let off the gas, almost like engine braking. Got louder and louder until BOOM. Fortunately, I wasn't on the autobahn and was able to drift over to a side road and then the rear wheels completely locked up. They had to drag it onto the flatbed, leaking truck blood all over the place.

39,067 miles. I've been dreading this scenario since I first heard it was happening to 2010's. Everytime I would go to the dealer I would ask about recalls for this exact situation. I was never tagged for anything.

To make matters worse, I'm in Germany so it's a guess as to whats covered and whats not, although they've been pretty good with covering stuff so far.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

I recently received a notice in the mail that a safety recall was inacted on this very issue... It also said that the remedy parts were not currently avalible and I would be notified when they were.... I had my dealer look at my truck, and he said I was OK, and that they don't yet have the parts to do the recal repair.... Just an FYI, I think they are liable on this issue, as they seem to know about it and yet are draging their feet on getting the parts in to the dealers to make the repairs... If you get any static, you might contact the NTSA- I think thats it... The National Transportation Safety Administration, ????
Or Chrysler Corporate HQ...
Old 08-26-2013, 03:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn 4x4
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:11
peppermintpete is on a distinguished road

Part of me knew exactly what was about to happen. From the time I heard the first drive shaft story, it's always been in the back of my mind. I had about 1 minute between when I first heard it to the total implosion of the rear end.

If I'd have pulled over immediately I could have gotten a tow truck and avoided the worst parts of the ordeal, but it was a very low whine and it didn't get very loud until abour 10 seconds before axle armageddon. So I would have to say it was almost unavoidable, considering I was in the middle of nowhere and it was 530 in the morning(fortunate when the back of your truck decides to cease functioning). Making it to my destination seemed like a viable option considering it was only another 4 miles away.

I had taken it in for service about one month earlier for the final inspection and service before I broke the 36k limit. It was in perfect condition at the time, so I would be vary cautious in a vehicle that has not participated in the recall, as it seems like it can happen at any time.

And it turns out I was issued a recall but never notified. A quick google search of my VIN at the appropriate site verified the recall.