DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
I don't think the aeration was your problem (it was a symptom). I think your problem was a misinstalled (or loose) filter that fell out of position and then gave you no (or very little) line pressure.

Hard to say without actually seeing the parts. Did they say whether the filter was damaged (like cracked or split open), or was it just mispositioned?
This sounds a little similar to another thread that an owner had where the spin-on filter in the trans loosened or backed out on a new Ram. Hope this isn't a frequent quality control issue.
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram outdoorsman
Trim Level: Quad Cab
Color: Silver
Rep:10
ram7833 is on a distinguished road

well i'm glad to hear that this is something that is actually plausible and that the dealer isn't trying to pull a fast one on me... that being said, hopefully it's not something that is that common with the new 4th gen... it would be to bad that such a nice truck with be put together with sub par standards from the get go ...

Old 01-11-2012, 07:32 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram7833 View Post
They seemed to say mispositioned from the factory.

I have no idea how the tranny works in the truck, but in my mind it just seems like if it was mispositionned then it just wouldn't filter properly no ? kinda like an air filter ?
No, the main sump filter has a snout that sticks up into a bore in the pump housing. If the filter is mispositioned, so that the snout comes disengaged from the pump bore, then the pump sucks AIR (from around the filter snout) rather than sucking oil (up through the snout). That gives you no drive (or very little drive).

We typically do not see issues with the spin-on (cooler return) filter (which is also inside the trans) coming loose or falling off (although I have seen a few reports). Problems with the main sump filter are much more common, although usually they result from a botched fluid and filter change (not from misinstallation at the factory).
Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
RamUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
No, the main sump filter has a snout that sticks up into a bore in the pump housing. If the filter is mispositioned, so that the snout comes disengaged from the pump bore, then the pump sucks AIR (from around the filter snout) rather than sucking oil (up through the snout). That gives you no drive (or very little drive).

We typically do not see issues with the spin-on (cooler return) filter (which is also inside the trans) coming loose or falling off (although I have seen a few reports). Problems with the main sump filter are much more common, although usually they result from a botched fluid and filter change (not from misinstallation at the factory).
Just had our first problem like this over here in Britain - vehicle is a 2012 Hemi Quad Cab and customer has just phoned up with what sounds like exactly the same symptoms. Vehicle will not change past 4th - rolls back even when in Drive. +/- makes it change but not as it should do
Old 01-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram outdoorsman
Trim Level: Quad Cab
Color: Silver
ram7833 is on a distinguished road

well boys, this issue just happened again over the holidays... only this time I was out about 1000 km at our hunting cabin and driving an unplowed road. everything was fine when out of a sudden the engine reved right up and the truck had no more drive. The tranny indicated 4th, but it did not move from there. Neutral on the transfer case would not come on either, gears, reverse nothing. It was -37C ... Had to get my brother to come tow me out so that to road side could come pick it up. its been in the shop for 2 weeks now and they cant figure it out. 2 Trannies in 56k ? anything that i can do here in Canada to get the truck replaced or something !?!?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport QCab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Ram Box
Color: Grey
Rep:34
wilhavens is on a distinguished road

I have 74k on my 2011 and haven't had an issue with the trans... but I did have two teeth break on the rear pinon gear and i made a similar noise.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:49 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

wonder if the extreme temps have anything to do with this.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:52 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram7833 View Post
well boys, this issue just happened again over the holidays... only this time I was out about 1000 km at our hunting cabin and driving an unplowed road. everything was fine when out of a sudden the engine reved right up and the truck had no more drive. The tranny indicated 4th, but it did not move from there. Neutral on the transfer case would not come on either, gears, reverse nothing. It was -37C ... Had to get my brother to come tow me out so that to road side could come pick it up. its been in the shop for 2 weeks now and they cant figure it out. 2 Trannies in 56k ? anything that i can do here in Canada to get the truck replaced or something !?!?
Did they tell you what fault (or faults) you had? Have they checked the filters?